Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch sent overseas for warranty servicing? GST must pay 2nd time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch sent overseas for warranty servicing? GST must pay 2nd time?

I've already paid the GST when I received the watch 1 year ago. Still got the Fedex bill for gst. If the watch is out for repair, do I still need to pay for GST again when it comes back after servicing?

It very much depends on what is shown on the shipping document/invoice when the watch is sent back to you after repair.

In the commercial world, usually a text such as "FOC item, no commercial value" will be shown on the invoice in order to be exempted from GST when delivering a free item for non-commercial use. I am not sure if this works in your scenario but I am sure the supplier whom you going to send the watch back to would have some experience so I suggest you ask them how they usually handle the document in this case.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
      It very much depends on what is shown on the shipping document/invoice when the watch is sent back to you after repair.

In the commercial world, usually a text such as "FOC item, no commercial value" will be shown on the invoice in order to be exempted from GST when delivering a free item for non-commercial use. I am not sure if this works in your scenario but I am sure the supplier whom you going to send the watch back to would have some experience so I suggest you ask them how they usually handle the document in this case.
      bro. they are not issuing me commercial invoices.

except the dhl proforma invoice. and they will declare the watch value just for insurance coverage. they are gonna state "watch under warranty repair / value stated for insurance purposes / no commercial value.

will that help or not?

Comment

That should help, normally, but don't take my words for sure.

Note that the customs treat the commercial invoices and proforma invoices pretty much the same way. A proforma invoice is used in a situation where a commercial invoice does not exist for whatever reason, but the customs expect the true value to be declared on both type of invoices (ya we know it is not always the case).

Do share with us your actual experience later

Comment

That should help, normally, but don't take my words for sure.

Note that the customs treat the commercial invoices and proforma invoices pretty much the same way. A proforma invoice is used in a situation where a commercial invoice does not exist for whatever reason, but the customs expect the true value to be declared on both type of invoices (ya we know it is not always the case).

Do share with us your actual experience later
          so if they decided to charge me again. can i use my old gst payment to raise a case?

Comment

Originally posted by leslie View Post
            so if they decided to charge me again. can i use my old gst payment to raise a case?
            I guess that's what you would have to try to do if they want to charge you again. Just make sure you did not authorize the freight forwarder to pay the GST on your behalf prior to delivering the item to you (this would not be an issue if you are not the party paying for the freight).

The last people I want to argue with is the customs officer, so hopefully you don't have to go through that

Comment

before you send the watch overseas for repair, you should apply to Customs for export (repair purposes). failure to do so you may have to pay GST if the declared value is over $400.

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/tr...y+Exported.htm

Extracted from Customs website.

Re-importation of Goods Temporarily Exported

Goods temporarily exported for exhibitions or repairs or soliciting trade may be brought back into Singapore without payment of duties and/or GST subject to the following conditions:

1. The export and re-import of the goods must be registered with Customs by means of Customs OUT (Re-imported Goods) and In-Non-Payment (Re-imported Goods) permits respectively.
              2. The goods are identified to the satisfaction of the proper officer of Customs at the time of export and re-import.
              3. In the case of re-import by a non-taxable person, the tax had been paid previously and has not been refunded.
              4. In the case of trade samples, they must be exported for the sole purpose of soliciting trade.
              5. The goods are to be re-imported within 3 months from exportation date or such further period as allowed.
              6. In the case of repairs, the waiver of duty and GST shall be applicable only to the remaining original parts of the goods. The importer has to obtain from the repairer a certificate confirming whether new parts have or have not been added, and an invoice on the cost of workmanship for the repair and the prices of the new parts added, if any.

The conditions are to be complied with before duty exemption and/or GST relief is granted for the re-imported goods. Failure to satisfy the conditions will mean that duty and/or GST is payable for the items.

Comment

On top of the old GST payment, you would probably have to produce proof of "re-exporting" the item out of SG, if they ever try to charge you again.

So keep the shipping document for returning the watch to the vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by leeye View Post
                  before you send the watch overseas for repair, you should apply to Customs for export (repair purposes). failure to do so you may have to pay GST if the declared value is over $400.

Goods temporarily exported for exhibitions or repairs or soliciting trade may be brought back into Singapore without payment of duties and/or GST subject to the following conditions:

1. The export and re-import of the goods must be registered with Customs by means of Customs OUT (Re-imported Goods) and In-Non-Payment (Re-imported Goods) permits respectively.
                  2. The goods are identified to the satisfaction of the proper officer of Customs at the time of export and re-import.
                  3. In the case of re-import by a non-taxable person, the tax had been paid previously and has not been refunded.
                  4. In the case of trade samples, they must be exported for the sole purpose of soliciting trade.
                  5. The goods are to be re-imported within 3 months from exportation date or such further period as allowed.
                  6. In the case of repairs, the waiver of duty and GST shall be applicable only to the remaining original parts of the goods. The importer has to obtain from the repairer a certificate confirming whether new parts have or have not been added, and an invoice on the cost of workmanship for the repair and the prices of the new parts added, if any.

The conditions are to be complied with before duty exemption and/or GST relief is granted for the re-imported goods. Failure to satisfy the conditions will mean that duty and/or GST is payable for the items.
                  i asked dhl liao. this temp export permit thing cost $200 alone. more than the gst amount lor.

Comment

Saw this after I posted my last comment

That is similiar to the process a company would follow in re-exporting/re-importing of goods.

Wonder how an individual gonna manage that...

Comment

Originally posted by leslie View Post
                      i asked dhl liao. this temp export permit thing cost $200 alone. more than the gst amount lor.
                      it all depends on you. if your watch value is insured for $5000 (an example) after repair, customs may charge you 7% gst which is $350 based on your insured value.

if you apply for the export permit, you pay $200.

if you don't insure your watch or declare low value and your watch is lost during shipping, you loose everything.

so how much was your watch worth? if it is small value, then pay the gst if custom check or if lucky don't have to pay anything.

if it is a high value watch, go thru the proper process.

Comment

it all depends on you. if your watch value is insured for $5000 (an example) after repair, customs may charge you 7% gst which is $350 based on your insured value.

if you don't insure your watch or declare low value and your watch is lost during shipping, you loose everything.

so how much was your watch worth?
                        Eh...I mentioned in a separate thread earlier that the typical insurance that is "added" into the courier freight will not cover the full value of the insured item. Unless we are talking about a separate type of insurance which I doubt would be the case here?

Comment

so how much was your watch worth? if it is small value, then pay the gst if custom check or if lucky don't have to pay anything.

if it is a high value watch, go thru the proper process.
                          when i ship to germany. i got declare full value plus paid full insurance. buy overseas item quite troublesome.

Comment

Eh...I mentioned in a separate thread earlier that the typical insurance that is "added" into the courier freight will not cover the full value of the insured item. Unless we are talking about about a separate type of insurance which I doubt would be the case here.
                            yes i agree. most courier companies would not cover full value for such items. a seperate insurance is needed. very troublesome.

that's why better leave it to the service center or AD to cover all these issues.

Comment

Bro leslie, do you have to pay for the freight to send the watch back for repair? If yes, my feeling is that it is probably not worth the cost/risk/hassle to send it back. Might as well pay for 3rd party repair locally. That's the problem with buying from brands with no local AD/aftersales service...sigh.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X