Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S$2-3k mechanical chronograph to recommend (or is this too much to ask for)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S$2-3k mechanical chronograph to recommend (or is this too much to ask for)?

Hi,

Any S$2-3k mechanical chronograph to recommend?

I was looking at B&R BR126 and IWC's Portofino range, and sadly they are easily twice my intended budget... thought of checking with the members here who undoubtedly have seen more watches than I do.

I have a relatively slim wrist for a guy, so anything greater than 42 mm is going to be too large a watch presence for my liking. I am looking for one with a black round dial, as I have a white Nomos Tetra already and wouldn't want to make it "jealous" by procuring a similar-looking one. On a serious note, I just want to have a different watch so that I have options to choose from, i.e. a classic white dress watch, or a darker one to match with my outfits.

Thanks in advance!

Try Dievas Time Attack.

Comment

For brand new, you can try hamilton, tissot

Comment

If you are not too bothered by brand or whether it is Swiss made or not, then try Magrette or Movaswatches. They use reasonably good movement and good work horse.

Magrette is made by a New Zealand watch maker and Movas is Singaporean. Good luck!

Comment

Talking about mechanical chronos... generally they can be categorized into 2 groups. Automatics and Hand wind.

China makes both automatics and handwinds, with the popular ST19 from Seagull and the "copycat" 7750 from Shanghai as well as other unknown makers.

SWISS makes most of the Automatics, from C01.211(featured in SWATCH and TISSOTs) to the 775x family which includes:
          7750- commonly found in most SWISS Auto-chronos with 3 subdials locating @ 6,9,12 position
          7751- commonly found in most SWISS Auto-chronos with 3 subdials locating @ 6,9,12 position and full calender complications and true moonphase
          7753- commonly found in most SWISS Auto-chronos with 3 subdials locating @ 3,6,9 position. Date wheel adjustment thru button @ 1100hrs position.
          7754- not so commonly seen. found in SWISS Auto-chronos with 3 subdials locating @ 6,9,12 position in addition of a GMT function.

Russians makes mostly hand winding mechanical chronos, non hackable. So far i had only gather 4 infos on the movements:
          3133 have 2 subdials,
          31679 have 3 subdials where the subdial @ 0600hrs position is a truly moonphase,
          31681 have 3 subdials where the subdial @ 0600hrs is a 24hrs indicator
          31682 have 3 subdials where the subdial @ o600hrs is a 24hrs indicator with addition of day/night "moonface" @ the back

Comment

Back to your topic...
            It all depends on your focus. Is it the brand, or the movement that you want?

Certainly, brands may represent the reputation of the quality, as well as after sales service quality should anything happens. But just don't forget, a certain number of the money you pay, goes to the makers advertising fund. So... lets say if you're eyeing for Hamilton, Victorinox, Tissot, Longines, Tags, MIDO as well as other makers... with your budget of SGD3k, should not be a problem. But do take note as the complications gets more... complicated, more expensive it gets.

Onto the movement. Depending on which movement you're eyeing on.
            Russian? These can be get generally from SGD400 and above. But you have to order thru other internet merchants, REDARMY SG charges way too high compares to other e-tailers.
            Chinese? For those so called "copycat" Valjoux movementsmade by Shanghai as well as other makers, you have to order through internet. Price is about 70% close to those SWISS makes. Seagull's ST19 chronos can be get below 500... but also from internet buying as local Seagull charges also too high a price tag.
            SWISS? Below 1k??? Possible. Confirm, chop, and guarantee...with C01.211 movement. Starts from SWATCH Auto chronos, priced below 500. TISSOT demands another 5 orange bills more... in return, you get well-lumed dial, solid built, as well as diving specs.

Comment

Lesser brands like longines, cyma, tissot, oris , just to name a few, makes pretty decent watches in the 1-2k range
              1 tier up i would be looking at omega and breitling in the 5k range
              In the 10k range, panerai, rolex and iwc

Comment

Originally posted by skydweller_sg View Post
                Lesser brands like longines, cyma, tissot, oris , just to name a few, makes pretty decent watches in the 1-2k range1 tier up i would be looking at omega and breitling in the 5k range
                In the 10k range, panerai, rolex and iwc
                The TS is asking for Chronos that falls between 2k to 3k range... if i didn't remember wrongly, Chronos from ORIS, LONGINES as well as CYMA are way above the 3k mark.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far!

After more research, I realised what I had in mind are the (popular? vintage-popular?) Flieger or Type 20/21 chronographs... pretty fascinating design history!

So after links such as this, this and this, I am impressed with more options.

Updating my criteria as such... (from most important to least)

1) Budget: S$2000 is still ok, I'll need really convincing reasons if it goes more than S$2400
                  2) Bi-compax layout, I'm only making an exception for the Damasko DC56 because of the perceived technological prowess within (sadly, this means Archimede gets the boot now)
                  3) Cleaner design, starting with lesser numbers, lesser minute/second marks etc.
                  4) Size (42 mm is good, 40 mm is better, and will prefer a slimmer one too)
                  5) "Future" brand perception aka "would you keep a ____ down the road" question

Contenders (in order):
                  Stowa Chronograph 1938
                  Ollech & Wajs Flieger Chronograph
                  Damasko DC56 Black

Possible contenders:
                  Junkers 6110-2/6524-2/6216-2: they will fit my budget easily, and they're running off the Poljot 3133. Hence I'm putting them separately from the contenders above... if they are worth their merits I may just go for one of these too.

Honorary mentions (they are nice, just that little bit over the highest-end of my budget for me to say "I have to draw the line somewhere"):
                  Tutima Classic Flieger Chronograph
                  Hanhart Fliegerchronograph 1939

Am looking forward to the weekend so that I can drop by Gnomon and Red Army Watches!

Comment

After more research, I realised what I had in mind are the (popular? vintage-popular?) Flieger or Type 20/21 chronographs... pretty fascinating design history!

So after links such as this, this and this, I am impressed with more options.

Updating my criteria as such... (from most important to least)

1) Budget: S$2000 is still ok, I'll need really convincing reasons if it goes more than S$2400
                    2) Bi-compax layout, I'm only making an exception for the Damasko DC56 because of the perceived technological prowess within (sadly, this means Archimede gets the boot now)
                    3) Cleaner design, starting with lesser numbers, lesser minute/second marks etc.
                    4) Size (42 mm is good, 40 mm is better, and will prefer a slimmer one too)
                    5) "Future" brand perception aka "would you keep a ____ down the road" question

Contenders (in order):
                    Stowa Chronograph 1938
                    Ollech & Wajs Flieger Chronograph
                    Damasko DC56 Black

Possible contenders:
                    Junkers 6110-2/6524-2/6216-2: they will fit my budget easily, and they're running off the Poljot 3133. Hence I'm putting them separately from the contenders above... if they are worth their merits I may just go for one of these too.

Honorary mentions (they are nice, just that little bit over the highest-end of my budget for me to say "I have to draw the line somewhere"):
                    Tutima Classic Flieger Chronograph
                    Hanhart Fliegerchronograph 1939

Am looking forward to the weekend so that I can drop by Gnomon and Red Army Watches for my dosage of some of these watches!

Comment

steinhart flieger chrono?

Comment

Originally posted by wankie View Post
                        steinhart flieger chrono?
                        That's 44mm right? Don't think there's a smaller size?

Comment

Steinhart Pilot Chrono's are 44 or 47mm I think.
                          But the chrono don't get much slimmer than 14mm
                          Unless you can find a Zenith El primero chrono.

If you like classic watch, try to look for Sinn running on Valjoux 7750.
                          I guess Sinn has a nice new modified movement too.
                          These are not bigger than 42-43, but quite thick. About 14-15mm.

If you are into discontinued classic watches or movements try looking for watch running on Lemania 5100
                          Problem is these are hard to find, and might need a service.
                          There are a few on ebay if you wanna take your chances.
                          Its a better chrono compared to Valjoux 7750. But the its downside is that these are no longer in production. So if you need parts in the next 5-7 years, it could be an issue.
                          Finding watch with this movement alone could be hard work, let alone a watch with good condition.
                          Could cost about 2k

Succeeded to become a one watch man...
                          Rolex Sea Dweller

Comment

Thought I'll bring some closure to this thread...

The Damasko DC56 still looked a bit cluttered in real life, although it does look ok on the larger DC66. So I'm forgoing the DC56...

Ollech & Wajs have limited production, and I wasn't able to see one for myself. This can either mean two things... (I'll let you people draw your own conclusions)

Had the time to play with the Junkers 6110-2, and am quite impressed with it. However, the price at RAW is considerably expensive than ordering online, and besides that piece's chrono wasn't working correctly.

Anyways, I decided to save more for the Stowa in the end, and I'm even open to considering the Flieger Chrono (it currently leads by a bit too). All is good, I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by blue_quartz View Post
                              ...Anyways, I decided to save more for the Stowa in the end, and I'm even open to considering the Flieger Chrono (it currently leads by a bit too). All is good, I guess!
                              Well... congrats to your choice... and the long waiting time, if you have that patience....

Why? By the time you've completed your savings... hmm... some models comes and goes off fast. By the way, did you take a look at the latest Steinhart L.E release? Surely affordable, with current x-rates to our advantage...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X