Behind the scenes of a true-blue watch restoration of an old vintage Bulova

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behind the scenes of a true-blue watch restoration of an old vintage Bulova

Hi guys, I had this vintage Bulova mechanical watch in need for some restoration / repair work. Not many watchmakers can actually do a true blue restoration, to fully restore a watch technically speaking is to make the watch from scratch again, (pretty much like what some of the independent watchmakers are doing). If done right, the restored watch should last you another lifetime.

"Some watch restorers may not even replace / make broken parts but instead, they are glued together. This might hold the parts together for a short period of time but will eventually damage the watch. Real restoration work involves hours and hours of work and is very unfortunately very expensive. "

Highlighting some pictures of what Bobby-Ro of EHF Horlogere has done.
    The amount of work and time put into it goes to show not only the dexterity and skills but also simply pure passion and devotion to true horology, regardless of brand and price, these are true hallmarks of value of a timepiece. And it is really heartening to see how open and honest they are with they actually do, rather than just talk/say.

I hope you will enjoy some of the pictures I have highlighted here. Read/see more picture at my site's blog.

Stripping the watch apart

The reassembly work began on the puny small mechanical movement. I am always intrigued and in awe with watchmakers who can handle such small movements! let alone, having to make any watch parts for the movement.

My favorite picture which depicts one of the biggest challenge faced by him -- the mainspring! I know for sure it is not easy to coil it back into the barrel..

Even the screws are not spared polished-flat and cleaned.

To view the final restored movement:
    [I][COLOR="navy"]"You don't realize how strong a person really is until you see them at their weakest moment." - Unknown[/COLOR][/I]

Cool.

But don't like that it is presented as a teaser leading to a commercial website (yes I am fully aware that you are one of the forum's advertiser).

I know my view doesn't matter but just being honest.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

sure.. understand.
      not trying to promote anything here.

I was just surprised with the amount of work put into a watch like bulova, and just sharing what I have recently learned and know from these guys.

And thank you for your feedback, every view DO matter, bro.

Cheers!
      [I][COLOR="navy"]"You don't realize how strong a person really is until you see them at their weakest moment." - Unknown[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

I am humbled by your gracious response, Ms Yan

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
          I am humbled by your gracious response, Ms Yan
          My pleasure always. Hope to learn more from you too.

Comment

Originally posted by watchwerkz View Post
            My pleasure always. Hope to learn more from you too.
            I am afraid a hot-headed quick talker like me would let you down.

Still struggling to practise what I last learnt from you - "if there isn't any good thing to say, don't say"

Will drop by your place to say hi the next time I am around. Used to stop my car outside your shop building to wait for my wife when she was working at Park Mall. Hardly go that area nowadays.

Comment

So finally after waiting for almost a week, the movement and the watch is finally restored.
              I shall post pics right here for those who appreciate vintage watch restoration process.

the cleaned dial

the balance wheel detached and cleaned (including hairspring). Particularly like how vintage watch movements look.

Escapement meter in action!

restored Bulova 6BS movement

Case cleaned

Fitting the movement in slowly, and ensuring no dust goes in as dust will jammed the movement up easily. It is not an easy pop in and out exercise! woah..

Caseback is also nicely polished.

Viola, restored happy Bulova.

and a professional shot of the Bulova. What lighting and camera can do to enhance the details of a watch!

Disclaimer: I like to add that the pictures and information here is to share with the gracious watch community here, the process of how a vintage watch I have and means a lot to me is being restored.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X