Watch recommendation please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eedwinn View Post
    Their collections look pretty good! Where can I find them?
    Quiet a few places have FC. THG at taka is one of the distributors that i know offer quite a wide rage of FC watches. Cheers.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eedwinn View Post
      Hey guys! I am really new and this forum had really opened my eyes to all the beautiful watches you all own!

I am looking to get a new watch for myself with a budget of $1,000. Can you guys give me some recommendations on what I should look out for?

Here are my requirements:

1) Leather strap
      2) Automatic
      3) Date function

Additional functions I would love to have:

1) Good lum for the hand and numbers
      2) Moon phase (I know it will definitely be very expensive with this but I'm hoping there will be one within my budget)

Appreciate all contributions! Thank you!
      I'm quite neutral when it comes to either SWISS MADE or JAP MADE timepiece. Each have their charms when it comes to quality and value factor.
      However, i got to admit... most of my watches are SWISS mades, both quartz and autos.

OK. Back to your requirements.
      On SWISS makes...
      With your budget of SGD1k, you can have the best of both category, 3 hand auto as well as an addition of a chronograph, both SWISS made if you're not so particular about branding. Look at the UHR range for the prices and the watches.
      However, if you choose to go for those with reputable brands/names/labels... you can choose either only one... but generally most SWISS makes are good in built qualities. My advice to you is that google for other people's reviews on the piece under a certain brands/names/labels for the built quality, as well as the limitations. Identify as well, whether the brands/names/labels you're eyeing on belongs to low/entry level(UHR, STEINHART, TISSOT, SWATCH etc.), or belongs to mid-level(MIDO, TITONI, RADO, RW, LONGINES, ORIS, BALL etc.).
      On moonphase watches... so far i have not seen any auto makes priced below 2K mark... however, if you're going for quartz moonphase, i believe that there would be some available in the market.

On Jap makes...
      With your budget of SGD1k, you can have numbers(5 if each pc priced below 200, 1 if your eye falls on the Grand SEIKO or other higher end models) of 3 hand autos if you go for the Japs make...however, you wont be able to get auto-chrono as the current latest releases are mostly priced more than 2k, unless if you're getting the pre-owned vintage pieces.
      On moonphase, i have not seen any Jap makes with true auto moonphase, except for those that are day/night indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceheller View Post
        Quiet a few places have FC. THG at taka is one of the distributors that i know offer quite a wide rage of FC watches. Cheers.
        I was actually surprised to see the Watches of Switzerland at Vivo City selling this brand as I thought it is exclusive to the Hour Glass, after they'd bought over from Bezel ..
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
          I was actually surprised to see the Watches of Switzerland at Vivo City selling this brand as I thought it is exclusive to the Hour Glass, after they'd bought over from Bezel ..
          Yes you hit jackpot! I saw the FC advertisement and it state WOS vivo carrying it too.
          sigpic

Comment

Another brand that I recall is Louis Erard. Most of their watch are classic design and near the 1k range.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ed.YEO View Post
              On moonphase watches... so far i have not seen any auto makes priced below 2K mark... however, if you're going for quartz moonphase, i believe that there would be some available in the market.
              Hi,

I will also like to get an entry level BNIB fine watch too for my collection. My criteria are:

1) Price around 2k;
              2) ETA auto movement;
              3) Moon phases;
              4) Open heart;
              5) Leather band.
              6) dual time, GMT (good to have but not a must).

Is there any model that is availabe to meet the above criteria?

BTW, I read from somewhere review that Fredrick Constant is not doing well, so that brand is out of my question.

Thanks

Comment

Even if you want those functions in a Frederique Constant (FC), you may not be able to get it at that kind of pricing.

And btw, what is it that FC is not doing well about. Interesting to know. If you can recall, do share with us.

Tx.
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                  Even if you want those functions in a Frederique Constant (FC), you may not be able to get it at that kind of pricing.

And btw, what is it that FC is not doing well about. Interesting to know. If you can recall, do share with us.

Tx.
                  See link:

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-w...atch-snob.html

Hi Snob,

I know you enjoy watches from manufacturers with heritages such as A. Lange & Söhne, but what about the little guys? I stumbled upon a relatively young company called Frédérique Constant and fell in love with its collection. What is your opinion of the company?

Stay away. Frédérique Constant will be out of business within five years, quote me on that. It is owned by the same company that promotes a brand with the slogan “Be a Player” (Alpina), and does that inspire quality and lasting power to you? To get an idea of what Frédérique Constant is about, see my article on manufactured watch heritages. You’d be better off investing in BP at this point.

Comment

Good. Tx for sharing
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

BTW, FC do have moon phase with open heart. See example: http://www.frederique-constant.com/e...335ms4mc4.html

I remember at THG, they quote me the Carree series moonphase (can't remember does that one come with open heart) at around 2k+ before negotiation.

Comment

Originally posted by Axela2012 View Post
                        1) Price around 2k; --yes... provided if you go online for not so well known makes such as http://www.genius1953.de/en/index10.html
                        2) ETA auto movement; --yes... as mentioned above
                        3) Moon phases; ----yes... as mentioned above
                        4) Open heart; ------no... no idea whether above mentioned model have exposed case back or not
                        5) Leather band. ----yes... as mentioned above

6) dual time, GMT (good to have but not a must). ---well...refer to the specs of 7751, but above mentioned model doesn't seems to be---

Is there any model that is availabe to meet the above criteria?
                        frankly speaking... all above fall within SGD$2k... no chance on big names(currently some MIDO models the cheapest will cost you close to another 10 blue bills more) even if you go online.
                        My answers to you in red...

Comment

humm..............Valjoux 7751. I thought Valjoux movement is bought over rather from the the real ETA 28XX series movement?

Comment

Ok... this is going to be a rough explanation that gives you the rough picture.

Valjoux was a small fish that developed and owned the patents of all Valjoux movements.
                            ETA group is the bigger fish that buy over the Valjoux company, hence, now they own the engineering design of all Valjoux movements.
                            Swatch group is the biggest fish that eat(own) ETA that produces the 28xx movements, in addition of the acquisition of Valjoux, Swatch group now owns all patents of the Valjoux engineering designs.

Comment

What about LOUIS ERARD? Is this brand OK and any idea where can we get in Singapore?

Their 93204AA02 come with standard 2824 movement and moonphase:
                              http://www.timepiecestore.com/catalo...men-watch.html

Their 94205AA03 look good with good ETA 2892 movement and GMT but no moonphase:
                              http://www.timepiecestore.com/catalo...men-watch.html

Or this 7751 one with all in 1 but no idea what is the price:
                              http://watchesandart.blogspot.com/20...-phase-24.html

Comment

Originally posted by Axela2012 View Post
                                ...Or this 7751 one with all in 1 but no idea what is the price:
                                http://watchesandart.blogspot.com/20...-phase-24.html
                                LOUIS ERARD brand very atas, that's about close to the rank where MIDO and RADO is...

With your roughly SGD2k budget... i guess +300 allowance... you might be able to get the first 2 one only. Otherwise, below 2k... you might not be able to get anyone of them.
                                The ex-KingWah, now-ACUBE TIME @ Peninsular Shopping center, carries LOUIS ERARD... but i doubt you might be able to get a "good" price, especially when the distributor are now controlling the selling price of Swiss branded watches.

A MIDO with 7751 movement now priced about 2.4k, perhaps with 100 +/- varies/depending on sellers.
                                How much would you think the LOUIS ERARD 7751 may priced to be? hehehe...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X