Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a gift for hubby - need expert advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do remember to factor in the servicing cost.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by slang27 View Post
      Hi all,

Have been reading your forums for a bit and find you guys extremely knowlegeable and helpful! I'm hoping I can get help as I am a newbie to the luxury watch world. I'm planning a 30th bday gift for my hubby but unfortunately have a limited budget of S$5000 at the most! Also, he is not a watch-lover (he has worn the same thing for 10 yrs!) so Im not sure how much he will 'appreciate" the mechanics etc but I know he will appreciate the quality at least.

I have been doing some research and have narrowed down to a few choice of brands
      1) omega - like the Speedmaster and I can get a model I like for 3500 at airport - but its not the same league as IWC etc

2) IWC - def LOVE the vintage and pilots but I'm very cautious abt them being way out of my budget! Im quite shy lah so not thick-skinned enough to go into ADs and ask abt all the prices

3) JLC - but havent done much research on it yet, except that they command even higher prices?

4) Baume & Mercier - but I get this feeling it is also a similar league brand like Omega, although I love some of their designs

So my questions are:
      - which brand/watch do u recommend for a first time buyer with a 5k budget
      (after reading your posts I'm beginning to lose interest in the Omega and and eyeing the IWC!)
      - i know it all depends on my hbby's personal taste etc but i think we both prefer the "classic" look without too many things on the dial (but simplie chrono will be nice) and not too sporty (dont like the diving ones as too 'heavy')

Im sorry for such a long post, but will really appreciate all the help you guys can give! thanks!!
      Hi,

If u dun mind prw-owned which alot of us are buying in the Forum. Saw a IWC Pilot chrono 371701 at $4500 @ Bencoolen.

condition is good as new as i had request the owner to let me have a physical feel of the item.

properly u can drop by to take alook with yr hubby.

my 2 cents worth..

Thanks
      The Difference Between Impossible And Possible Lies In A Persons Determination!!!

Comment

haha yes you all do have a point - for the amount of money to be spent it seems judicious to eliminate the element of "surprise" - I'm sure your friend's wife had sleepness nights!
        Think pre-owned isnt a bad thing - will check it out, thanks!!
        and yes how much does servicing amount to in the long run??

Comment

haha yes you all do have a point - for the amount of money to be spent it seems judicious to eliminate the element of "surprise" - I'm sure your friend's wife had sleepness nights!
          Hi,

Frankly based on international standard. Most watch doesn't require servicing for the 1st 5 years of ownership.

For chrono, I used to owned a couple under personnel collection which I had never used the chrono function at all.

Now, I buy watch without chrono as I feel simple n clean is nice.

My 2 cents worth.
          The Difference Between Impossible And Possible Lies In A Persons Determination!!!

Comment

since the watch is likely for keeps. during the years under warranty, it should be ok. covered under manufacture. however, after that you are on your own. for rolex, sports models minimum service cost is close to 1k. for IWC, i would expect around that region for a start. however, you can always service it outside the authorized agent if you comfortable. for rolex, if it is non complication watch, you can service them outside @ a fraction of the cost.

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by silversurfer1210 View Post
              Hi,

Frankly based on international standard. Most watch doesn't require servicing for the 1st 5 years of ownership.

For chrono, I used to owned a couple under personnel collection which I had never used the chrono function at all.

Now, I buy watch without chrono as I feel simple n clean is nice.

My 2 cents worth.
              same here... althru sometimes i look at chrono watches and look nice at that moment. after some time, i tend to get bored of it fast and i dun even use the function. prefer clean and simple look as they do last long.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X