Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a gift for hubby - need expert advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a gift for hubby - need expert advice!

Hi all,

Have been reading your forums for a bit and find you guys extremely knowlegeable and helpful! I'm hoping I can get help as I am a newbie to the luxury watch world. I'm planning a 30th bday gift for my hubby but unfortunately have a limited budget of S$5000 at the most! Also, he is not a watch-lover (he has worn the same thing for 10 yrs!) so Im not sure how much he will 'appreciate" the mechanics etc but I know he will appreciate the quality at least.

I have been doing some research and have narrowed down to a few choice of brands
    1) omega - like the Speedmaster and I can get a model I like for 3500 at airport - but its not the same league as IWC etc

2) IWC - def LOVE the vintage and pilots but I'm very cautious abt them being way out of my budget! Im quite shy lah so not thick-skinned enough to go into ADs and ask abt all the prices

3) JLC - but havent done much research on it yet, except that they command even higher prices?

4) Baume & Mercier - but I get this feeling it is also a similar league brand like Omega, although I love some of their designs

So my questions are:
    - which brand/watch do u recommend for a first time buyer with a 5k budget
    (after reading your posts I'm beginning to lose interest in the Omega and and eyeing the IWC!)
    - i know it all depends on my hbby's personal taste etc but i think we both prefer the "classic" look without too many things on the dial (but simplie chrono will be nice) and not too sporty (dont like the diving ones as too 'heavy')

Im sorry for such a long post, but will really appreciate all the help you guys can give! thanks!!

lucky man. buy rolex, all waste time

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Originally posted by slang27 View Post
      Hi all,

Have been reading your forums for a bit and find you guys extremely knowlegeable and helpful! I'm hoping I can get help as I am a newbie to the luxury watch world. I'm planning a 30th bday gift for my hubby but unfortunately have a limited budget of S$5000 at the most! Also, he is not a watch-lover (he has worn the same thing for 10 yrs!) so Im not sure how much he will 'appreciate" the mechanics etc but I know he will appreciate the quality at least.

I have been doing some research and have narrowed down to a few choice of brands
      1) omega - like the Speedmaster and I can get a model I like for 3500 at airport - but its not the same league as IWC etc

2) IWC - def LOVE the vintage and pilots but I'm very cautious abt them being way out of my budget! Im quite shy lah so not thick-skinned enough to go into ADs and ask abt all the prices

3) JLC - but havent done much research on it yet, except that they command even higher prices?

4) Baume & Mercier - but I get this feeling it is also a similar league brand like Omega, although I love some of their designs

So my questions are:
      (after reading your posts I'm beginning to lose interest in the Omega and and eyeing the IWC!)
      - i know it all depends on my hbby's personal taste etc but i think we both prefer the "classic" look without too many things on the dial (but simplie chrono will be nice) and not too sporty (dont like the diving ones as too 'heavy')

Im sorry for such a long post, but will really appreciate all the help you guys can give! thanks!!
      You did not state explicitly an important factor, which is, if it is a new/pre-owned watch you are after. Let's take it that you are getting it new since it is a birthday gift. For $5K, I do not think a JLC watch is possible (I stand corrected). Omega, IWC and B&M are attainable. As for "leagues", I think they are around the same, at least to me. Each has their own range of $5K range watches. I'm not too familiar with B&M, but the Omega Speedmaster is a good choice.

For IWC, choices you may consider are the Mark XVI and Pilot Chrono. Then there is also the Spitfire models. Those should be +-$5K. IMO, I will rank them in this manner:

1. JLC
      2. IWC
      3. Omega
      10. B&M

And don't worry about walking into the ADs, there's really nothing to be shy about. Let me know if you need an AD to talk to.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

with the budget and if you want brand new, i would say go for the omega among your 3 choices.

IWC vintage collection series wont fit your budget.
        B&M, consider carefully.

i would strongly suggest a rolex. however, with 5K budget, abit hard to find one to fit your budget considering the recent price increase.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I agree with bro Oceanklassik, Pilots Watch Classic Mark XVI and Pilots Watch Spitfire Mark XVI or Pilot Chrono should be yours choice as it within yours limits depend it pre-own or BNIN and it not too complicated too. For For stainless steel the price will be more ex, so my humble suggestion is to get the below item which is also leather strap. Here are more info and picture for you.

IW325501
          IWC Classic Pilot's Watch Mark XVI Watches. 39 mm stainless steel case soft iron inner case for protection against magnetic fields, black dial, automatic winding calibre 30110 movement, approximately 42 hours of power reserve, black crocodile leather strap. Water resistant to 6 bar.

IW325502
          IWC Spitfire Pilot's Watch Mark XVI Watches. 39 mm stainless steel case soft iron inner case for protection against magnetic fields, silver dial, automatic winding calibre 30110 movement, approximately 42 hours of power reserve, brown crocodile leather strap. Water resistant to 6 bar.

IW371701
          IWC Classic Pilot's Chronograph Automatic Watches. 42 mm stainless steel case soft iron inner case for protection against magnetic fields, black dial, automatic winding calibre 79320 movement with chronograph function, approximately 44 hours of power reserve, black crocodile leather strap. Water resistant to 6 bar.

Comment

if you prefer IWC.. most likely IWC Mark XVI should be able to fit your budget. the retail is 6k for leather strap and after a standard 15% discount will be 5.1k which i think you can come out $100 more. maybe some brothers here can help you to find better discount. Its have a clean dial and nice.

as for omega, i personally feel that seamaster are nice, but they are overpriced due to heavy marketing and advertising.

for branding wise, IWC definitely better. JLC will be out of your budget.

Comment

Hi all,

So my questions are:

IWC Pilot Chrono ...always

Comment

bump up the budget and buy a rolex...... ND sub 14060m

Comment

So many valuable info but where the TS????

Comment

Originally posted by larry88
                    For new watch at 5k and is "good enough" I would suggest Pam 000

For used watch at the same price. Maybe rolex explored II.

I strongly recommend Pam 000 (Panerai's entry level) as well.
                    I am getting 1 pc soon for my daily wear.

My personal experience to share
                    I am 3 months into luxury watch collection with 3 watches, Gree sub LV (costing about $8k), Omega PO XL (about $4k) & Pam 351 (costing close to $10k).

Strange enough, I enjoy wearing Pam, although it's very expensive, especially (crazy for me) wearing to work in the warehouse.
                    Mainly, I think Pam gives me the freedom to change and swap straps.
                    I don't get tried of Pam that easily.
                    With Pam, you will enjoy building your wardrobe of different straps for different occassions.
                    Pam is handsome, smart and classic looking.

Buy 1 before price increase like crazy again.
                    I trust that he will love it and get piosoned. (Err, may not be good thing as collection of Pams and luxury watches is a no road of no returns :P)

You cannot trust him promising you that he can resist the temptations...
                    My humble beginning:
                    Ball - Conductor (SE), Rolex - Green Sub LV (Alpha-numeric series), Omega - PO XL & Pam - 351 (M-series)

Dream watch:
                    It is a tough choice between IWC IW500114 and IW500109.
                    [url]http://www.iwcportugieser.com/en/[/url]
                    [url]http://www.iwc.com/en-us/collection/portuguese/IW5001/[/url]

Comment

thanks everyone for your generous contributions! yes i have been thinking and am swaying towards raising my budget for an IWC pilot chrono (hopefully with some decent discount at Sincere as u guys have advised); now just fingers crossed i can get a good price and that he will like it!

Comment

Bro Caliber,
                        Not everyone as rich as you to buy only Rolex lah! Peace out!
                        Sweet 16:
                        PP Aquanaut
                        VC Overseas
                        AP ROO Black Themes
                        A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                        Breguet Type XXI
                        Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                        JLC Navy Seals
                        GO Senator 60s
                        GP Laureato
                        Zenith Pilot Extra Special
                        Rolex DSSD
                        IWC Big Pilot
                        Pam 112
                        Omega Ploprof
                        Breitling Super Avenger
                        Glycine F104

Comment

thanks everyone for your generous contributions! yes i have been thinking and am swaying towards raising my budget for an IWC pilot chrono (hopefully with some decent discount at Sincere as u guys have advised); now just fingers crossed i can get a good price and that he will like it!
                          "Sister" Slang,
                          The Pilot Chrono is a good choice at a very good size but remember the servicing of a chrono watch costs more and this certainly adds up in the long run. I'd go out on a limb and suggest it is better to eliminate the element of suprise and let your hubby choose what he prefers within a range of choices.
                          Just like you intend to do, my friend's wife 'surprised' him with a Tag Hueur Aquaracer on his birthday that wasn't to his liking as he preferred a Mont Blanc Timewalker but to the 'happy' ending is he still forces himself to wear the Tag.
                          Hopefully your hubby is not fussy like me or my friend but your budget far exceeds that of an Aquaracer and I'm sure you'd want your husband to wear a watch he likes : p
                          Sweet 16:
                          PP Aquanaut
                          VC Overseas
                          AP ROO Black Themes
                          A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                          Breguet Type XXI
                          Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                          JLC Navy Seals
                          GO Senator 60s
                          GP Laureato
                          Rolex DSSD
                          IWC Big Pilot
                          Pam 112
                          Omega Ploprof
                          Breitling Super Avenger
                          Glycine F104

Comment

Pilot chrono price $7600
                            Discount: 15%
                            that would work out to be arn $6460

Comment

Originally posted by Spider82 View Post
                              Pilot chrono price $7600
                              Discount: 15%
                              that would work out to be arn $6460
                              Hmmm...the other alternative would be to buy brand new from other watch shops. Visiotime has got a brand new piece going for about $5.5K : ) Look for Jacqueline, she's nice and pleasant to deal with!

http://www.visiotime.com/
                              Sweet 16:
                              PP Aquanaut
                              VC Overseas
                              AP ROO Black Themes
                              A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                              Breguet Type XXI
                              Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                              JLC Navy Seals
                              GO Senator 60s
                              GP Laureato