International Watch Company (IWC) - Price Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DM101 View Post
    MARK 16 is using ETA base calibre... IMO not worth $6K!

U can get a HAMILTON JAZZMASTER equvalent for < $1K ... also come with ETA calibre
    Most of IWC models use ETA movements. The Mark 16 uses the most basic of ETA movement, hacking seconds with date, you can get that at one-quarter of the price from other brands.

Their chrono models uses ETA 7750. You can find this movement almost everywhere.

Their in-house movement watches have transparent casebacks and cost 5 figure.
    It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
    Aristotle Onassis

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
    Nido Qubein

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
    Jimmy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
      Haha, Bro Exondus, hope you don't start missing your Mark XV now...ah, sorry for teasing. I guess new ones don't come if old ones don't go...
      haaha, in a matter of fact, up to the point of collecting the money and passing the watch to the new owner, I was still uncertain

esp when I doubt I can find another 1 year old local AD Mark XV ever in my life again

haiz, i actually miss the mark xv more than my gmtiic :P
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

i've checked with the IWC Boutique. IWC Mark XVI is $6k with leather and $8k with Stainless Steel Strap!

Price is before discount (if any is given)
        My Humble Collection:
        Universal Geneve Uni Compax 18k Cal.285
        Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80.00
        Omega Constellation Vintage Goldcapped Cal.564
        Vostok Amphibian Black Radio Room
        Orient Mako - Black

Comment

Originally posted by blingking View Post
          Most of IWC models use ETA movements. The Mark 16 uses the most basic of ETA movement, hacking seconds with date, you can get that at one-quarter of the price from other brands.

Their chrono models uses ETA 7750. You can find this movement almost everywhere.

Their in-house movement watches have transparent casebacks and cost 5 figure.
          not trying to defend IWC as in full honesty, all branded watches are overpriced anyway, this includes serveral seiko, casio, citizen as well.

however, you don see many manufacturers using the thiner ETA2892 like the mark XVI. Just fot the info, the ETA2892 was supposed to rival Rolex's 3135. Not to mention having the facilities and skillset (as well as even bothered) to modify it to be within COSC specs as per IWC and certain other brands. my mark XV was actually more accurate than even my GMTIIc.

btw, you cant get the IWC modified ETA movement elsewhere so what you are going to get at a fraction of the Mark XVI price would be just an off the shelf ETA movement that probably goes for a few hundreds minus the casing and bracelet of a watch? And that is assuming you can even find a reasonably priced 2892 and not the usual 2824.
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by beatific View Post
            i've checked with the IWC Boutique. IWC Mark XVI is $6k with leather and $8k with Stainless Steel Strap!

Price is before discount (if any is given)
            Preown Mark XVI goes within the range of low low 3ks. you can consider those. Discount is usually 10-15%. Slightly more if you feel that you know the AD enuff to negotiate.

For IWC bracelets. They originally go for 2k+. And they are one of those companies that do not make it worthwhile to get the bracelet version unless you really wanna use it that way. Most other companies only have 100-400 difference btw a leather version vs a braclet version.

btw, the bracelet is really comfy

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
              Preown Mark XVI goes within the range of low low 3ks. you can consider those. Discount is usually 10-15%. Slightly more if you feel that you know the AD enuff to negotiate.

For IWC bracelets. They originally go for 2k+. And they are one of those companies that do not make it worthwhile to get the bracelet version unless you really wanna use it that way. Most other companies only have 100-400 difference btw a leather version vs a braclet version.

btw, the bracelet is really comfy
              Yes. Jwwatch was offering a pre-own Spitfire Mark XV with stainless strap for about 3K+ last week, really regret that i did not pull the trigger then!
              My Humble Collection:
              Universal Geneve Uni Compax 18k Cal.285
              Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80.00
              Omega Constellation Vintage Goldcapped Cal.564
              Vostok Amphibian Black Radio Room
              Orient Mako - Black

Comment

not trying to defend IWC as in full honesty, all branded watches are overpriced anyway, this includes serveral seiko, casio, citizen as well.

however, you don see many manufacturers using the thiner ETA2892 like the mark XVI. Just fot the info, the ETA2892 was supposed to rival Rolex's 3135. Not to mention having the facilities and skillset (as well as even bothered) to modify it to be within COSC specs as per IWC and certain other brands. my mark XV was actually more accurate than even my GMTIIc.

btw, you cant get the IWC modified ETA movement elsewhere so what you are going to get at a fraction of the Mark XVI price would be just an off the shelf ETA movement that probably goes for a few hundreds minus the casing and bracelet of a watch? And that is assuming you can even find a reasonably priced 2892 and not the usual 2824.

Not running down IWC but just stating some of my thoughts after some reading up.

No one really know the extent of modifications made to the ETA movement.

Another brand, Omega uses modified ETA movements as well but they marketed it as the co-axial movement and provided some technical explainations.

Although this is purely marketing, but it also provided some justifications to consumers why they are paying a premium.

I read in a forum, a Ball Watch is more accurate than Rolex. This is hardly surprising.
                Aristotle Onassis

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
                Nido Qubein

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
                Jimmy Dean

Comment

haaha, in a matter of fact, up to the point of collecting the money and passing the watch to the new owner, I was still uncertain

esp when I doubt I can find another 1 year old local AD Mark XV ever in my life again

haiz, i actually miss the mark xv more than my gmtiic :P

Think a one year old watch is on sale in the other watches garage. Go to Pg 3.
                  Aristotle Onassis

Nido Qubein

Jimmy Dean

Comment

Think a one year old watch is on sale in the other watches garage. Go to Pg 3.
                    thanks, but thats a mark XVI.

The Mark XV was discontinued in 2006 by IWC. I was pretty lucky to find a NOS at a local AD.

oh well, will get over it with time.

oh and btw, the box set with that Mark XVI in that pic doesnt look like what IWC was offering a year ago. It seems pretty much older. but then again, I could be wrong

Comment

thanks, but thats a mark XVI.

The Mark XV was discontinued in 2006 by IWC. I was pretty lucky to find a NOS at a local AD.

oh well, will get over it with time.

oh and btw, the box set with that Mark XVI in that pic doesnt look like what IWC was offering a year ago. It seems pretty much older. but then again, I could be wrong
                      Oic, what is the diff between the 2 versions?

The IWC box is solid white and is pretty impressive.

My favorite is the non-chrono yellow Aquatimer with steel strap.
                      Aristotle Onassis

Nido Qubein

Jimmy Dean

Comment

just to add, i was at the IWC shop at Hong Kong Airport - the sales person said that IWC is going to adjust prices for their watches at the end of the month. Not too sure how true is that

Comment

take with a pinch of salt. some sales will use this tactic to coerce you to buy now to avoid price hike. sometimes they are doing you a favour too
                          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                          Blue 6694
                          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Not running down IWC but just stating some of my thoughts after some reading up.

No one really know the extent of modifications made to the ETA movement.

Another brand, Omega uses modified ETA movements as well but they marketed it as the co-axial movement and provided some technical explainations.

Although this is purely marketing, but it also provided some justifications to consumers why they are paying a premium.

I read in a forum, a Ball Watch is more accurate than Rolex. This is hardly surprising.
                            You can find the info on iwc's eta mods online. Some ppl will argue eta makes the movement under iwc's specifications after 2006 or 2007 but there are still alot of modification done:

http://www.iwcforum.com/Uhrenjournal.html

and

http://www.timezone.com/library/coma...81571896618891

http://sg-roc.com/showthread.php?2137-Views-on-Mark-XVI

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X