Alligator Straps vs Calf Leather Straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alligator Straps vs Calf Leather Straps

Does anyone know whether Alligator (or crocodile) watch straps perform any better than calf leather? By performance, I mean doesn't get so wet and absorb sweat odors so easily.

Been looking for this information for quite a while but have not come across any details on this.

Thanks!

i prefer calf ammo straps...comfortable and rugged..
    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by sdchew View Post
      Does anyone know whether Alligator (or crocodile) watch straps perform any better than calf leather? By performance, I mean doesn't get so wet and absorb sweat odors so easily.

Been looking for this information for quite a while but have not come across any details on this.

Thanks!
      I would think aligator straps are more water resistent. For calf straps, probably need some coating.

BUT in terms of sweat absorption, I have yet to see an aligator strap that uses the aligator skin on both the inner and outer side of the strap. Hence, cant really comment on that.
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

this i interested to learn oso...mayb some local strap makers can chip in with their pro advice?
        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

It really depends on how the leather is treated. Calf leather, like MP Kodiak or the old Strapmaster are very very water-resistant.

Comment

You can also ask for water-resistant lining, if you are going to customize the strap, most strap makers can do it.

Comment

Any website or shop to recommend which sells these kind of straps?

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

gator skin have a texture and richness that cannot be properly mimicked by cow/calf hide.

IMO, this helps make your watch "one of a kind..." and some local watch enthusiasts/reps enjoy eyeballing other people's strap for the purpose of an unnecessary assessment...

as for water resistance, as many other members have said, it depends on treatment and manufacturing process...

having said that, i don't recommend wearing gator straps in singapore due to perspiration... they cost too much to replace regularly.

as such, you are unlikely to find people scuba diving or swimming with a gator strap.

on rotation i have a water resistant nappa leather strap from di-modell, a 100m water resistant leather strap from hirsch and a black rubber tropic.

all can be found from online retailers at a reasonable price.

although i feel that my gators should be saved for those not-so-hot occasions in singapore, my wife wears them without any such regard...
                  “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X