Sinn build quality and Warranty Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinn build quality and Warranty Issues

Bought myself a 857s directly from Frankfurt last November and noticed that the triangle luminous marker on the bezel dropped off early February.

Read from the net that this is quite a common defect on most Sinn across all models.

So i took it to THG over here since they must honour the international warranty. Dropped off my watch and was told weeks later that the bezel is considered as an external failure and is not covered under the warranty.

Was told that i have to pay 50 bucks to get it fixed and will have to wait for the part to arrive.

Now i am in Frankfurt and just happen to drop by the factory and went to enquire about the warranty issues with the Customer Service.

I told them about this problem and they told me everything; both external and internal, is covered under the warranty and they would gladly fix my watch if i brought it in free of charge.

They could not answer on behalf of THG but reiterated that the watch is indeed under warranty.

So what would u guys do now if you're in my shoes?

btw here's a size comparo between the regular U1 and the U200.

jsut like the car, the mini is way more expensive. round 50% more to be exact.

It would have been good if you got something written from Sinn saying that they honor such stuff under warranty. Then bring back to THG and show them.

Ask them why their policy is different. If the 50 bucks is for th freight charges of the parts then maybe still bo bian cos they need to get the parts to singapore. but if its service charge, then I think they are misleading the customers.

finally, from experience, most of the SE at such shops don really know their stuff as well as their company policies. Hence, just take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Side track, I had a 857 for more than a year before selling. Mine had no issues whatsoever althou when I got it, it broke down within a week and after much of cooking up a fuss with THG, i got a 1-1 exchange. Sadly, heard that Sinn QC is no longer what it used to be now
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

it is right to assume that the U1 series have lesser problems?

Comment

Originally posted by pexus View Post
        it is right to assume that the U1 series have lesser problems?
        nope, not really. but this kinda thing is heng suay one. don think Sinn QC really THAT bad lah so no worries
        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Honestly speaking and no offense, if it was me..i would say its better not to buy such watch like Sinn, Invictus etc etc..as in those not so famous brand..even though they are from Swiss...but still from what i know..durability wise..mostly all buay tahan one..

I mean its not worth spending thousand, then end up u get something whom dun haf gd durability and worst of all, the watch dun look like it worth thousand.

I mean if you show it to normal folks (folks who know little about watch) and tell them the watch cost thousand etc, they will tot u are boosting, as indeed Sinn watch look no different from the $10 Pri sch kid watch u get in Bencoolen..
          (Just my own opinion and no offense, i apologise if it sound offending)

So in my opinion, if i were to spend Thousand on a watch, 2 things i would take note is 1)watch have to definitely be Durable 2) It better have to look like it cost Thousand. If this 2 things are missing, then I guess definitely it is not worth to buy at all

Comment

no offence taken cos opinions are subjective

But just wanted to know, how to define watches that look like it costs thousands? I mean brand aside, looks are really more or less the same for most watches.

Comment

Originally posted by Tua Pao Xian(CannonDeity) View Post
              Honestly speaking and no offense, if it was me..i would say its better not to buy such watch like Sinn, Invictus etc etc..as in those not so famous brand..even though they are from Swiss...but still from what i know..durability wise..mostly all buay tahan one..

I mean its not worth spending thousand, then end up u get something whom dun haf gd durability and worst of all, the watch dun look like it worth thousand.

I mean if you show it to normal folks (folks who know little about watch) and tell them the watch cost thousand etc, they will tot u are boosting, as indeed Sinn watch look no different from the $10 Pri sch kid watch u get in Bencoolen..

So in my opinion, if i were to spend Thousand on a watch, 2 things i would take note is 1)watch have to definitely be Durable 2) It better have to look like it cost Thousand. If this 2 things are missing, then I guess definitely it is not worth to buy at all
              then if you were us, which brand will you go after?
              then the brand you chose will NOT have any quality issues? as far as i know, most watch brands have here and there quality concerns, even omega, tag, rolex, etc. Even reputable swiss brands are not defect-free.

i don't know if you have seen a Sinn watch in the flesh before, but i LOL at your comparison between $10 watch and Sinn no hard feelings huh although your nick might suggest otherwise, hahah (again no offense, but ironic la )

as for your 1) i agree totally that it must be durable, don't know if you know about Sinn's technology used in their watches, but to call them not durable just because of some issues and compared to invitus (sp?) is heaven and earth leh. 2) true, value to one is like one's meat is poison to the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Tua Pao Xian(CannonDeity) View Post

so a S/S Rolex at +-10k looks like it;s worth the money?

so i guess for you PP, A.lange, Breguet etc...high end watches is not worth it?

cause:
                1. it's jsut another dress watch
                2. ah pek. ah seng. ah beng. ah lian does not know how to pronounce the names
                3. nobody thinks it looks expensive

so that's the case with you lar?

Comment

im not sure about sinn mentioning about warranty internal and external. if it is through no means of user fault, it is considered in this case. however when THG say it is external, im not sure if they were trying to say it is through wear and tear.

different interpretations. i do know that THG will still service sinn watches locally when possible. however chances of them trying to charge customers is there. why? opportunity to make money, standard. if not how to have so new outlets? how to have renovation?

sinn quality finishing i admit is not that, if you look it thru the loupe, you can see the imperfections of color markers on dial. sinn uses tegimented steel as their selling point. when the u1000 of first launch, one of the THG outlets has like got 5 pieces, was tempted to buy, look thru all of them under loupe. all had imperfections in one way or another. could not convince myself to part about 6k for a BNIB watch with such finishing.

what im trying to put forth is that if sinn is raising their pricing, they must also ensure their workmanship and quality of finish is on par. i would not say which luxury brand, i have come across one watch *series in a particular batch* with mechanism issue. so even luxury brand are not spared from build quality issues.
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

THG seems to listed as a sales partner of Sinn. Thus, they are a seperate business entity which has an arrangement with Sinn. Typically in such arrangements, when THG does warranty work on Sinn behalf, they send the bill to Sinn instead of the customer. In your situation, the cost could be a factor of freight charges + service fee + slight overheads markup. I think the issue could be Sinn not wanting to pay for it and THG rolling the cost back to you.

And on the side topic, I have to say Sinn watches look nice but they seem to have a rough finish to them. I first knew about them when I saw it on the wrist of a friend of mine. The price did shock me thou.

On the other hand, the standard comment when folks see my Omega and hear how much it cost is "Why not buy a Rolex instead?"

On the flip side, folks who heard about Rolex as a brand, when they actually see a Rolex Submariner, they typically say "That's it??!! And it cost how much??!!!!!".

Morale of the story is buy what you like. The rest of the folks can go fly kite.

Comment

Originally posted by sdchew View Post

On the other hand, the standard comment when folks see my Omega and hear how much it cost is "Why not buy a Rolex instead?"

On the flip side, folks who heard about Rolex as a brand, when they actually see a Rolex Submariner, they typically say "That's it??!! And it cost how much??!!!!!".

Morale of the story is buy what you like. The rest of the folks can go fly kite.
                      very well said... i must admit i do get alot of flak from ppl when they ask how much my watches cost.

on the other hand..yes i am a bit dissapointed by the finishing of my Sinn and sometimes i do get a bit of buyer's remorse from getting such a "fragile" finishing watch (PVD) but ever since it went into THG's grubby hands..i am missing it every single day.

will ask Sinn to clarify about this.

thanks for all the opinions and feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by terrenceterrence View Post
                        very well said... i must admit i do get alot of flak from ppl when they ask how much my watches cost.

on the other hand..yes i am a bit dissapointed by the finishing of my Sinn and sometimes i do get a bit of buyer's remorse from getting such a "fragile" finishing watch (PVD) but ever since it went into THG's grubby hands..i am missing it every single day.

will ask Sinn to clarify about this.

thanks for all the opinions and feedback.
                        sidetrack, is the PVD fragile? I tht they tegimented the case with PVD so that its more scratch resistent than normal PVD?

Comment

PVD, Physical vapor deposition, is just the method to apply the coating. The thickness and most importantly, the actual material being deposited, determine how scratch proof the material is.

For example, to do gold coating there are many methods (e.g. Flash Gold, Immersion Gold, Sputtering, PVD, etc). PVD gold coating are not more scratch resistant than any of the other gold coating methods as gold is soft. In addition, PVD coatings is probably the thinnest of the coating methods. So if you have gold coated PVD watch, the gold coating will probably get scratch off the fastest.

DLC, Diamond Like Carbon, is also applied on using PVD. However, it is a very hard material and thus when you coat a watch with DLC, it will be quite scratch proof.

PS: Nice that my semiconductor engineering background can be use for watch knowlegde!

Comment

the head of the watchis keep up quite well but not the bracelet ..

hairline scratches in the clasp ...

it all depends on how "soft" is the other material that comes into contact with the watch. i find copper does nothing..cause i always see "orange" lines on my watch which i suspect is from my jeans rivets.

those line would jsut rub off... where as becareful of of other S/S..or solid chunk of alu/rock and etc...

only the head is fully tegimented whereas not the bracelet

Comment

Originally posted by sdchew View Post
                              PVD, Physical vapor deposition, is just the method to apply the coating. The thickness and most importantly, the actual material being deposited, determine how scratch proof the material is.

For example, to do gold coating there are many methods (e.g. Flash Gold, Immersion Gold, Sputtering, PVD, etc). PVD gold coating are not more scratch resistant than any of the other gold coating methods as gold is soft. In addition, PVD coatings is probably the thinnest of the coating methods. So if you have gold coated PVD watch, the gold coating will probably get scratch off the fastest.

DLC, Diamond Like Carbon, is also applied on using PVD. However, it is a very hard material and thus when you coat a watch with DLC, it will be quite scratch proof.

PS: Nice that my semiconductor engineering background can be use for watch knowlegde!
                              Very informative.... thanks

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X