Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for advice - This newbie seeks Mido as first quality timepiece

Dear friends,

I plan to invest in a Swiss-made timepiece as my first serious dress watch (that can double as an all-purpose watch). My considerations:

It should be affordable (less than S$1000).

It should last for at least 30 years, if maintained well.

It should have all the bells and whistles. It should have an automatic movement (not necessarily COSC certified), a steel case, sapphire crystal, see-through case back, superluminox, a water resistance of 100m, and be shockproof and magnetic-proof.

It should have a diameter of 38mm. (I have a small wrist.)

It should have a reasonable resale value that can enable me to get at least 50% of the original price.

I have done some research and have settled on a Mido All Dial automatic (reference: http://www.mido.ch/index.php?page=M8330-4-38-1&menu=b). I have read that Mido is a solid mid-tier luxury watch company that focuses on reliability and affordability. I also like it that they advertise their watches to "have the characteristics of a friend". I have been to Big Time in Takashimaya to try out this particular model and it fits me to a tee. Plus I like the practical design. Unfortunately, I was put off by the price, which was S$1017. Now don't get me wrong, I am willing to pay for quality. I just want to know if this watch is worth the price. The sales assistant, to his credit, was really helpful but was unwilling to commit to a discount. My impression is that the watch should cost a little below S$900. Is this a fair assessment? Or is it a fallacy on the part of my own judgement? Please enlighten this newbie.

Hi mate,
    I don't see much difference between $117 but I think you could spend a little more on your first serious dress watch.
    Based on your criterion, very few luxury watches fit your budget.
    Have you thought about the fact that you could suffer from cognitive dissonance after purchasing a Mido (no offense intended) and learning later that you could get a more prestigious 'dressy' brand like Mont Blanc for a little more if you search carefully?
    Sweet 16:
    PP Aquanaut
    VC Overseas
    AP ROO Black Themes
    A.Lange & Sohne 1815
    Breguet Type XXI
    Blancpain 50 Fathoms
    JLC Navy Seals
    GO Senator 60s
    GP Laureato
    Zenith Pilot Extra Special
    Rolex DSSD
    IWC Big Pilot
    Pam 112
    Omega Ploprof
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Glycine F104

Comment

Or you could consider an IWC Mark XV or XVI, that are modestly sized pilot watches that are extremely versatile for numerous occasions.

A few bros are selling theirs at reasonable prices, new and used in the sales forum.

All the best in your hunt!
      Sweet 16:
      PP Aquanaut
      VC Overseas
      AP ROO Black Themes
      A.Lange & Sohne 1815
      Breguet Type XXI
      Blancpain 50 Fathoms
      JLC Navy Seals
      GO Senator 60s
      GP Laureato
      Zenith Pilot Extra Special
      Rolex DSSD
      IWC Big Pilot
      Pam 112
      Omega Ploprof
      Breitling Super Avenger
      Glycine F104

Comment

I agree with Toffeesthings. No disrespect, how many of us here heard of Mido? Who will consider a pre-owned Mido? Not many I guess. The cruelty of luxury timepieces industry is that middle of the road brands often 'not here not there'. You catch my drift?

To each, his own. But for me, $1k for Mido, is better off $1k saved. If you really like the Mido, then go ahead and take the plunge. A good Citizen or a good Seiko should probably fit the bill. They are quality too, though not Swiss-made. But don't buy Mido as a 'satisficing' option. Buy it if you really like it on your wrist. My 2 cents worth.

Comment

yeah..buy the watch becoz u like it on your wrist...not becoz it will earn you $$$ when flipping off...
          Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Why not get a Ball Fireman? It costs about $1,450 before discount.
            About $1,015 after 30% discount.

It will hold value well.

If not, get a Sinn 556

Mido, Anonimo, Glycine, don't think they will hold value well..
            Opportunities come once

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X