Pure ETA movements since mid 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure ETA movements since mid 2007?

was browsing ard in timezone and to my surprise read this.

In response to a forumer's qn on what IWC will do after 2011 when ETA will stop selling ETA ebauches:

"
    Dear Mr. Shaffer,

Thank you very much for your request and your interest in IWC.

I am very sorry that I'm answering your request so late -- my sincere apologies.

We have found ourselves in a period of transition ever since the policy decision by ETA not to supply ébauches (i.e.movement kits), but only fully assembled movements in the longer term. As a result, since mid-2007, we have also been installing fully assembled movements, manufactured by ETA according to our standards and specifications, in addition to our own calibres assembled by us and based on the Valjoux 7750 ébauche. The number of ébauches supplied has been decreasing steadily since then, and deliveries will cease altogether at the beginning of 2011. However, because all the modification measures required by IWC have been incorporated into ETA’s production techniques, the complete movements also embody the latest developments and conform to IWC’s high quality standards. Regardless of whether the ébauche is assembled by IWC or a fully assembled movement is supplied by ETA, every individual movement is subjected to IWC’s comprehensive and exacting testing procedures.

We regard an IWC watch as an oeuvre, in which – alongside the movement – form and design, the choice of exclusive materials and outstanding ease of use combine to ensure that our timepieces represent a precision product of the highest quality across all price categories.

Once again, my sincere apologies for my late response.

Kind regards from Schaffhausen,

Jannis Faupel
    Senior Product Manager
    IWC Schaffhausen
    Branch of Richemont International S.A.
    Baumgartenstrasse 15
    CH-8201 Schaffhausen

"

This sets me thinking. Does this mean in Mid-2007, most of the entry level IWCs such as the newer mk XVI, 3717, portofino, are using ETA movements and no longer modded ETAs as per the earlier pre-2007 versions?
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

nothing is certain.... but if u read carefully, ETA is suppling IWC complete movements manufactured to IWC's specs....

i'll take it to mean that it's already modified to IWC's requirements....

cheers...
    the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
    visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

It states - 'However, because all the modification measures required by IWC have been incorporated into ETA’s production techniques, the complete movements also embody the latest developments and conform to IWC’s high quality standards.'

Which simply means that IWC instructs ETA on the specs and ETA ships it already modified to IWC's specs. ETA is ceasing to supply movement kits which means, incomplete movements or base for other to modify. But as a movement manufacturer, they can custom make and then ship which would mean it'll be more correct for us to call it an ETA made movement rather than to consider it under the ETA linage because it won't be sold to others .

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
      Working...
      X