• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Storage & straps qns

Hello to all,

Im pretty new to watches so wld like to ask a few rather basic question:
    how do you all store your watches?
    in the original box/case? in a watch case? in a winder?
    need to put silica gel? how often do you need to take out and wind the watch?

also, i see that a lot of people have multiple straps for a watch. So do you guys change the strap yrself? and how do you change it DIY? i observed the strap and there isnt a place to unscrew the strap and the lug.

lastly, what is a "good cloth" to clean yr watch? need to damp it alittle? and where to get such cloths?

Thank you for yr patience for reading these noobish qns....

can any brother help?

Comment

Originally posted by lordofkings View Post
      Hello to all,

Im pretty new to watches so wld like to ask a few rather basic question:

also, i see that a lot of people have multiple straps for a watch. So do you guys change the strap yrself? and how do you change it DIY? i observed the strap and there isnt a place to unscrew the strap and the lug.

lastly, what is a "good cloth" to clean yr watch? need to damp it alittle? and where to get such cloths?

Thank you for yr patience for reading these noobish qns....
      for me, i keep the watches in a watch display box (didn't put silica gel). i only wind them when i need to wear them. if i've the time, i'll put the watch in my single winder once a week to wind it.

As for strap change, i ask the AD to do it for me. It's their aftersales service and i can take that opportunity to admire other watches in the showcase.

Cleaning of watches - only do it when i wear it....some watches come with cleaning cloth (generic ones) so i use the same cloth for the rest of the watches.
      I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
      A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
      Audemars Piguet ROO
      Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
      De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
      Habring2 Pilot Time Date
      Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
      Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
      IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
      Panerai 270
      Patek Philippe 5711/1a
      Rolex 116610LV
      Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

some watch boxes break down faster in singapore's humid weather, so it's always advisable to keep them in a cool dry place, out of sunlight.

some people keep their watches in a safe deposit box, others in their safe, some in cupboards, etc... there's no "best place" to do so. i store mine in a drawer with all my other watch stuff (tools, straps, leftover bits and parts).

most good watch winders are not cheap, and multi-watch winders are not cheap either. you can find cheap winders which may or may not do the job, depending on what type of movement is within your watch.

however since most watches can be hand wound (not all), it doesn't bother many watch lovers to wind, set time/date and put it on/aside. others prefer to have a few of their favorite watches sitting in a winder ready to go.

others rotate between only a few watches so they hand wind the ones they don't wear every so often to keep it going. but this brings into play whether or not a wound spring = wear and tear (the jury's still out i think).

this winding question is entirely your choice and you WILL slip into a routine and form a personal preference.

unless you have an old watch, i don't think it's a requirement for silica gel as except for old old watches, most have gaskets which act as a seal against the environment.

there's always a learning curve when it comes to strap changing. even the most experienced watchmakers can slip up and scratch the watch and horror stories are a common occurence.

the best thing would be: 1) get an old watch and practice yourself 2) use good and proper tools 3) protect the case with thick tape 4) do it in a well lit scratch-proof surface 5) repeat steps 1-5!

over time you'll get the hang of it. bergeon makes excellent strap removal tools. never be lazy and always tape up expensive watches. never INSTALL INAPPROPRIATE/CRAPPY/EXCESSIVELY LONG spring bars or you'll have a hard time taking it out.

for expensive watches or watches made of precious metals, i recommend going to the AD, but again, no guarantees it will return problem free.

if you have a durable watch like a rolex, it can be safely washed and should be regularly washed to prevent grime build up.

delicate/dress watches should be wiped down with a damp cloth then dried off with a dry one to remove any residual dirt - i use those little spectacle clothes that come free from my optometrist on my vintage non-WR watches... : )

DAISO sells them too for $2 i think.

for my other watches i just put them under the tap every month, lather up a baby toothbrush with soap, scrub it, wash it, and dry it off with a paper towel.

if you service your watch/get it pressure tested, there's no reason why you can't do the same. non-WR straps should preferably be removed too.

this watch collecting hobby can be quite disastrous. you have been warned!
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Thanks bros for the long and elaborate answers... ahhh at least some doubts are cleared!

wah Taxico, u have such a tedious watch maintenance routine, haha the way you describe it sounds tougher than taking care of a baby. anyway, you mentioned abt taping the case, what kinda of tape are you refering to? Masking tape or black tape kinda rubber tape?

Thanks! looks like i will get a watch case to keep my watches and go find a old watch to practice my "surgery" on.

Comment

wah Taxico, u have such a tedious watch maintenance routine, haha the way you describe it sounds tougher than taking care of a baby. anyway, you mentioned abt taping the case, what kinda of tape are you refering to? Masking tape or black tape kinda rubber tape?
            it's not as tedious as it sounds, and it's not as troublesome these days i have only a small handful of watches left. but indeed, washing/cleaning a watch can be quite satisfying!

keeping a regularly worn watch clean and serviced is a good way of ensuring your watch case doesn't pit or corrode prematurely (not every brand uses 904 steel!).

i normally use matte 3M tape because they come off without leaving a sticky residue. if you want to try it on a pricey watch, you might want to add another small strip of duct tape over it because normal tapes are quite thin...

if you use a jeweler's flat screwdriver, you're more likely to slip than if you used an actual strap changing tool.
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Just to add to your list of qns which may interest you

Which type of straps will be best in Singapore's weather?

Some say leather is definitely out... true?
              Some prefer Rubber strap.
              Some still to steel strap.

So any verdict on this qn? Is there a clear winner?

Comment

metal
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X