No announcement yet.

This model is 'discontinued'.. Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This model is 'discontinued'.. Really?

Ok, this topic arises from a recent discussion here:

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/112498...5-discontinued

I am referring to the various sales "tactics"... oops! sorry I mean mistakes these people make. What do you guys (and girls) think? We have two very good illustrations contributed generously by our members here.

Given another scenario..

If say for example, a company advertised a brand new, genuine ROLEX Submariner 116610 watch for sale in the newspapers at a nett price of "$6,500". And people started rushing down to buy only to be told that it was a "printing error", and that the price should be "$10,500" instead.

How?
    The Crown Of Achievement

can't comment on the first scenario.

second scenario, i kena before. there was a shop who advertised a particular watch @ a very attractive price. i immediately called the shop and tell them to reserve the watch for me @ the price as i was overseas then. however, the shop told me it was a printing error. i called CASE to complain as i have evidence to show it was the shop advertised price. i was told by CASE that i had no case to ask the shop to honour the price.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
    Ok, this topic arises from a recent discussion here:

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/112498...5-discontinued

I am referring to the various sales "tactics"... oops! sorry I mean mistakes these people make. What do you guys (and girls) think? We have two very good illustrations contributed generously by our members here.

Given another scenario..

If say for example, a company advertised a brand new, genuine ROLEX Submariner 116610 watch for sale in the newspapers at a nett price of "$6,500". And people started rushing down to buy only to be told that it was a "printing error", and that the price should be "$10,500" instead.

How?
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

correct me if i'm wrong. cant remember much

advertisement is considered invitation to offer/treat - meaning an indication of a person's willingness to negotiate a contract.
      The display of goods for sale, whether in a shop window or on the shelves of a self-service store, is ordinarily treated as an invitation to treat and not an offer.

anyway, if the watch still with the seller.. so many times we can just LL.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
        can't comment on the first scenario.

second scenario, i kena before. there was a shop who advertised a particular watch @ a very attractive price. i immediately called the shop and tell them to reserve the watch for me @ the price as i was overseas then. however, the shop told me it was a printing error. i called CASE to complain as i have evidence to show it was the shop advertised price. i was told by CASE that i had no case to ask the shop to honour the price.
        First case... Buyers Beware!!
        You need to do your homework and know what you are buying and know the seller and know the market value.
        And know your facts; if not sure ask or stay away.

Second case .. there is no legal case for an honest mistake. Shops that want to preserve their reputation might "honour"
        (and maybe some poor employee will lose the job for the mistake). You can make a scene and be nasty but it might end up to be a lose-lose situation.

Having said that, ads that are designed to mislead can be brought to CASE. eg. hidden charges, small prints and disclaimers that are intentionally made hard to notice etc.

In the end, there is no such thing as a FREE LUNCH.

Comment

thanks for providing insight on a new phase - honest mistake. will take note on it.

Originally posted by watchristi View Post
          First case... Buyers Beware!!
          You need to do your homework and know what you are buying and know the seller and know the market value.
          And know your facts; if not sure ask or stay away.

Second case .. there is no legal case for an honest mistake. Shops that want to preserve their reputation might "honour"
          (and maybe some poor employee will lose the job for the mistake). You can make a scene and be nasty but it might end up to be a lose-lose situation.

Having said that, ads that are designed to mislead can be brought to CASE. eg. hidden charges, small prints and disclaimers that are intentionally made hard to notice etc.

In the end, there is no such thing as a FREE LUNCH.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
          2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

I think a few times, some IT store advertised wrong price and people queued for hours before its opening to get the item. Later, they say print mistake. I think they did not honour but gave goodwill discount.

Comment

what if it is a watch posted online?

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
              I think a few times, some IT store advertised wrong price and people queued for hours before its opening to get the item. Later, they say print mistake. I think they did not honour but gave goodwill discount.

kindly email with
              2. your nick

Comment

I'm not too sure but I think it is because there is no law in S'pore that enables consumers to seek legal recourse in such cases. I am all for peace and I will not pursue an 'honest mistake' made but I'm looking at it from a bigger picture. I was previously told it may at most be a case of 'misrepresentation' and one will have to engage a lawyer to take up his/her own civil suit. But what if such tactics is an unscrupulous way of making money.

I read somewhere years back where someone bought a pre-owned car from a dealer as he was informed and shown by the dealer that the car had a very low mileage. After the purchase, the buyer did a further check and found the mileage to be much much higher. A police report was lodged and the case was classified as cheating - a criminal offense in S'pore. I recalled the case went to the Courts and it was reclassified or 'downgraded' to a lesser offense.

IIRC the legal fundamental here was, if the sole reason that made the buyer make the purchase was on just the low mileage then it might suffice a criminal offense of cheating. But if the low mileage was only a minor consideration in the buyer's decision process then there would be nothing criminal.

So falling back to the topic of "discontinuation", can this be applicable?
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

any lawyers? it is probably the moment someone says take up a civil suit where most consumers will just 'feel forget it'. most people dont see the point of paying lawyer in fighting over a case of say a discontinued watch locally.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                  So falling back to the topic of "discontinuation", can this be applicable?

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

Comment

Good morning all!

I believe there have been quite a few instances in the US during Black Friday where Best Buy "accidentally" slashed the price of an IT item by more than 95% of its original price. However, they honored the deal and came out looking better.

Maybe its good marketing by them?

Comment

any lawyers? it is probably the moment someone says take up a civil suit where most consumers will just 'feel forget it'. most people dont see the point of paying lawyer in fighting over a case of say a discontinued watch locally.
                      I think this is extreme if one needs to take up a civil law suit for that but shouldn't there be a consumer law of sort that can we can have to cover this? I mean, com'on, you are selling a product that costs hundreds to thousands of dollars and you can't simply, because you wanna make money like that, 'lied' about the product you are selling. Be it whether it's a lack of training, an 'honest mistake', but at least, one should exercise due diligence. If you are unsure about a watch that is/not discontinued, you shouldn't affirm it until you make a check. If you can't get an answer, so be it. Just inform the customer accordingly and let him/her decide to buy or not.

Originally posted by azrielsc View Post
                      Good morning all!

I believe there have been quite a few instances in the US during Black Friday where Best Buy "accidentally" slashed the price of an IT item by more than 95% of its original price. However, they honored the deal and came out looking better.

Maybe its good marketing by them?
                      I recalled having read about that too. I'm not sure about their laws but I think the repercussion of not honoring would be much greater may be because they have stronger consumer laws? Whether it's a marketing ploy or not is another subject matter. I've read from news that in the US, you can even sue MacDonald's and win for compensation if the hot drink you are given scalded you due to your own negligence! It was reported years back that this chap accidentally spilled a hot drink he just bought over the counter at MacDonald's on his lap, and suffered serious burns. He took the fast food chain to Court for having sold him a drink that was too hot and not warning him. He got compensation for it

In another case (also in the US), a burglar, while climbing the rooftop of a house he wanted to break into, fell into the house as there was damage on the roof. He broke his leg and sued the house owners for compensation and he got it
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

US is all about human rights therefore sue here sue there. U r right, US shops will honor the mistakes they made. I have encountered few instances where they forgot to update the weekly price change at supermarket but still honor the price shown on the board. In sg and malaysia it will just be 'sorry ya we forgot to change price, n now it's xxx amount, u still want?'

Comment

what if it is a watch posted online?
                          Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                          If is is a post by private seller - sold.
                          If is a company - sold out / out of stock.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X