Excuse me, are you a collector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse me, are you a collector?

Sure, all of us here are some sort of a watch collector. It's just a question of what type of collector you are...

The modern watch collectors

The collect-what-most-people-collect collector
    Low self-esteem. Actually knows what he likes but being associated to and recognized by the majority is more important to him.

The collect-for-investment collector
    Opportunist. Usually young man who knows nothing about investment, and believes a limited edition model with a production of 9,999 pieces will appreciate in value.

The one-brand-one-watch collector
    A everything-also-want-to-try guy who loves the “I have them all” feeling. Not the most loyal person (or, a very loyal person who is deprived of choice) so the collection will keep changing as a better model within a brand becomes available.

The most-sought-after-watches collector
    His watches must be the current if not the latest “sought-after” models, though not necessary of the most expensive brand. Better if the watches are featured on magazine or worn by Hollywood stars. Would be extremely upset if someone doesn't notice his watch during a conversation.

The novice vintage collectors
    Collects affordable vintage watches within his means but doesn't always enjoy using it. Likely to swap a vintage for a more practical and popular watch.

The traditional watch collectors

The one-brand collector
    Loyal to his choice and his belief. Makes a good buddy but could also be stubborn and refuse to accept new things or ideas. Just why someone would collect many similar watches from a same brand is hard to understand by others.

The (real) vintage watch collector
    Usually financially sounds and buys only good quality vintages from reliable sources. Such is becoming extinct, because such collector can hardly find someone who shares the same hobby and so many have switched to collecting Ferraris.

While writing these, I realize I have been all of these at different points of time, except the last one
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

There is also the one-model collector, who has the same trait as the one-brand collector. I have yet to come across a one-model collector who doesn't own other model/brand.

Comment

I think I fall into this category:

The Any-O-How buy category. As long as you see the watch and falls in love with it, you'll save it up and buy it
      "Oh enjoying the thrill of the chase is fine. Craving the distraction of the game, I sympathize entirely. But sentiment, sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side."

Comment

Originally posted by Tricolore View Post
        I think I fall into this category:

The Any-O-How buy category. As long as you see the watch and falls in love with it, you'll save it up and buy it
        That may be a quite common behavior, which unfortunately does not qualify as collecting, although I have used the word "collector" very loosely.

Otherwise we are all shirt collectors, shoes collectors, etc.

Comment

Adding another one...

The theme watch collector
          Collect watches of a certain theme or style, such as divers or pilots. We know the dive watches are not suited for desk diving and most pilot-style watches do nothing more than telling time but there are not many different theme of watches out there for us the collectors
          Last edited by pegasi; 28-05-13, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I cannot be a collector. Mine is anyhow. Also limited budget.

Ah, they are divers. Or they are all tool watch.
            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
              I cannot be a collector. Mine is anyhow. Also limited budget.

Ah, they are divers. Or they are all tool watch.
              "Limited budget" or "bo lui" is relative and very subjective, and sometimes highly inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                That may be a quite common behavior, which unfortunately does not qualify as collecting, although I have used the word "collector" very loosely.

Otherwise we are all shirt collectors, shoes collectors, etc.
                col·lec·tor
                /kəˈlektər/
                Noun

A person or thing that collects something, in particular.
                A person who collects things of a specified type, professionally or as a hobby: "book collectors".

Synonyms
                gatherer - accumulator

going by that, u are wrong on two accounts, a person who collects watches "any-o-how" is still considered a collector as long as he/she does it as a hobby.

and unless we accumulate t shirts as a hobby, having a stockpile of t shirts does not make one a t shirt collector.

source: dictionary.com

side note, an interesting titbit on how t shirt got its name

One of the earliest prototypes for the T-shirt dates to 1880, when sailors in the U.S. Navy were issued an elbow and hip length undershirt; when laid out on flat surface, it resembled a…perfect "T".

This military undergarment was transformed over the next few decades, and became a staple in civilian men’s wardrobes by the 1950s. In fact, many of America’s favorite heartthrobs have been immortalized in the white cotton T-shirt—brooding Marlon Brando, cool James Dean, seductive Elvis Presley, and sultry Antonio Sabáto Jr., for example. Today the possibilities are infinite for this humble cotton basic that is equally at home on farmers, students, celebrities, super hunks and career women.
                Source(s):
                http://www.cottoninc.com/DidYouKnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
                  col·lec·tor
                  /kəˈlektər/
                  Noun

A person or thing that collects something, in particular.
                  A person who collects things of a specified type, professionally or as a hobby: "book collectors".

Synonyms
                  gatherer - accumulator

going by that, u are wrong on two accounts, a person who collects watches "any-o-how" is still considered a collector as long as he/she does it as a hobby.

and unless we accumulate t shirts as a hobby, having a stockpile of t shirts does not make one a t shirt collector.

source: dictionary.com

side note, an interesting titbit on how t shirt got its name

One of the earliest prototypes for the T-shirt dates to 1880, when sailors in the U.S. Navy were issued an elbow and hip length undershirt; when laid out on flat surface, it resembled a…perfect "T".

This military undergarment was transformed over the next few decades, and became a staple in civilian men’s wardrobes by the 1950s. In fact, many of America’s favorite heartthrobs have been immortalized in the white cotton T-shirt—brooding Marlon Brando, cool James Dean, seductive Elvis Presley, and sultry Antonio Sabáto Jr., for example. Today the possibilities are infinite for this humble cotton basic that is equally at home on farmers, students, celebrities, super hunks and career women.
                  Source(s):
                  http://www.cottoninc.com/DidYouKnow/
                  Thanks for sharing.

Interesting nick you have.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Interesting nick you have.
                    i was worried right after i clicked post, upon re reading, i felt like i come off as condescending. I am relieved that you took my comments objectively.

i will moderate my future replies.

yeh its kind of a real life nick name that stuck, a small hand full of friends still call me rabbit.

Comment

How about this? Pls change if not suitable.

The Knowledgeable Watch Collector
                      He might not own alot of watches but he sure know the ABC of it. From its historical beginning to its present time. The evolution of its humble technology to its present high tech marvel.

Comment

I'm so called a One Brand Collector, 1 expensive brand and 1 plastic brand (Rolex & Casio)

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
                          How about this? Pls change if not suitable.

The Knowledgeable Watch Collector
                          He might not own alot of watches but he sure know the ABC of it. From its historical beginning to its present time. The evolution of its humble technology to its present high tech marvel.
                          Are you talking about yourself, WL?

Comment

Are you talking about yourself, WL?
                            A..........not yet but sure hope to be one

Comment

How about the " I just buy what I like ! " person..... ?
                              ROLEX.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X