food for thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food for thought

i noticed that quite a number of our forum members are sending their watches outside the recommended service centre for servicing or polishing. how much do you trust these service technicians and centres.

i have heard quite a number of cases where the owners are not happy with the work done from non-recommended service centre.

when a watch has to be polished, the movement has to be taken out. do we trust them that no parts are exchanged? after all, how many of us are expert enough to open the case back and ensure that the parts are geniune, let alone how to strip the watch mechanism. why this question?

we all know that RSC does not return the replaced parts. then where do these technicians get these parts to replace when necessary? are they using geniune BRAND NEW parts or used geniune parts? the key points are geniune and brand new. however, we can also never be too sure that RSC are using geniune parts. then again where do these technicians get the parts? if it is not local, then overseas stock wont come cheap. if that being the case, wont the service price goes up?

let me share an example. i bought a preown watch which was serviced. when i brought it back to RSC, the intial report is that there is not enough lubricant, this part, that part, also need to be changed. question comes into mind, did the watch technician not do the job or is it that RSC wants to earn money? i got alot of . who do i trust? RSC or the service technician?

as for polishing, i know some forum members own watches about 20-30k watch range and they send it to outside the recommended service centres. does the thought of what if the watch comes back damaged? it is natural that we have to trust them. if we dont trust them dont sent it to them. after all, it is not a 200-300 dollars watch, it is hundred times the value. do you not fear for your watch safety?
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Personally i wud trust e agent more.

Comment

If you were to bring it to service people outside, I trust them. And seriously as long as my watch runs well, brand new part or used parts I cannot tell and I cannot do anything, so just live with it.

As for RSC,supposedly it's suppose to be brand new parts...I think best that we assume it is new

The parts wise...how do the technicians outside get parts..pretty sensitive issue so I would not touch on this. If you want my point of view do drop me a PM.

RSC does want to earn your money...I think it's quite obvious...usually older watches...they will start to sharpen their knives and chop...this 1 needs to change part...that 1 needs to lubricate. It's not necessary but they will still ask you to do 1 sometimes. It's like a branded bag...the brand itself sells...they can increase price...people will still buy.
      Last edited by triton; 22-02-09, 05:00 PM.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Wow Darkie, how you managed to post 5 same posts at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
          Wow Darkie, how you managed to post 5 same posts at the same time?
          becos he is our most favorite Moderator mah..

Comment

wtf darkie...... 5 post . champion kid!
            [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
            [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
            Blue 6694
            Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
            [U]"My collection"[/U]:
            [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

darkie studied too much for his exams liao, bang his head too many times on keyboard
              [SIZE="2"][U][B]Movement collection:[/B][/U]
              [U]German:[/U] Junghans 687, Durowe 7420
              [U]Russian:[/U] Poljot 3133, Poljot 2612, Vostok
              [U]Chinese:[/U] Seagull
              [U]Japanese:[/U] Seiko(s)
              [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Comment

Must be... but guys!!! We OT liao!!!

Originally posted by Hary View Post
                darkie studied too much for his exams liao, bang his head too many times on keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                  If you were to bring it to service people outside, I trust them. And seriously as long as my watch runs well, brand new part or used parts I cannot tell and I cannot do anything, so just live with it.

As for RSC,supposedly it's suppose to be brand new parts...I think best that we assume it is new

The parts wise...how do the technicians outside get parts..pretty sensitive issue so I would not touch on this. If you want my point of view do drop me a PM.

RSC does want to earn your money...I think it's quite obvious...usually older watches...they will start to sharpen their knives and chop...this 1 needs to change part...that 1 needs to lubricate. It's not necessary but they will still ask you to do 1 sometimes. It's like a branded bag...the brand itself sells...they can increase price...people will still buy.
                  I must say one has to trust his own watch technician..like myself i have to trust mine.And i don't think so he will risk his reputation for "mishandling" my watch after he had been in this industry for so many years...i'm a fussy buyer and watch lover..as for RSC,we never know if they use recondition parts or not. They a big organization,and one thing i hope they will do in future is to listen closer to the consumers..and handle the watch with more love and care.

Comment

Yes you're right. MOST, I say most-not all, technicians will not risk his reputation for "mishanding" others watches. Their expertise are to repair and service watches and not to take out your watch parts and resell them. If you ask me where they can get the parts needed, I can't answer you. You have to ask them. I believe there is always a source, nothing is impossible. There is always "trade sercets" in different trades and to the outsiders, things seem impossible to be done but can be done by those people in the trade.

Originally posted by louie View Post
                    I must say one has to trust his own watch technician..like myself i have to trust mine.And i don't think so he will risk his reputation for "mishandling" my watch after he had been in this industry for so many years...i'm a fussy buyer and watch lover..as for RSC,we never know if they use recondition parts or not. They a big organization,and one thing i hope they will do in future is to listen closer to the consumers..and handle the watch with more love and care.

Comment

scenario - i bought a rolex watch, i got this particular watch serviced outside RSC all these years. i decided to sell it to a preown shop. preown shop accepts the watch.

sometime later a buyer comes along and the watch ended @ RSC for verification. RSC informs the potential buyer that the face is non-original dial. the hands are not original, the glass is not original, part of the bracelet is not original, the movement has been tampered with.

the issue is not about what the preown shop is going to do, what the potential buyer will do. but do you think such things will happen.
                      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                      2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

yes yes... i have heard these outside technicians use non-rolex parts to fix rolex watches... when these outside technicians (usually the older ones) fix watches, they just make sure the watch will continue to work and don't care whether the parts are original... probably you need to ask the technicians whether he bothers to use original parts when fixing your watch...??

I don't have much experience in outside technicians for watches as I don't fix my watches often (till now no problem at all). I do fix my car outside but insist on original parts and normally they will show me the used boxes of the parts they used on my car....

Originally posted by triton View Post
                        scenario - i bought a rolex watch, i got this particular watch serviced outside RSC all these years. i decided to sell it to a preown shop. preown shop accepts the watch.

sometime later a buyer comes along and the watch ended @ RSC for verification. RSC informs the potential buyer that the face is non-original dial. the hands are not original, the glass is not original, part of the bracelet is not original, the movement has been tampered with.

the issue is not about what the preown shop is going to do, what the potential buyer will do. but do you think such things will happen.

Comment

the issue is that to some people, so long as the watch is functioning, who cares if the parts are original or not.

i mean i cannot imagine this scenario, i have a patek which i intend to hand over to next generation. then i decided to make use of technicians not from service centres. they use non original parts or lubricants. the next generation decided to send it to authorised technicians and to their dismay that there are non-original parts inside.

kindly email with
                          2. your nick

Comment

So the conclusion is that this technican cannot be trusted... btw who is this technican? Can pm me?
                            the issue is that to some people, so long as the watch is functioning, who cares if the parts are original or not.

i mean i cannot imagine this scenario, i have a patek which i intend to hand over to next generation. then i decided to make use of technicians not from service centres. they use non original parts or lubricants. the next generation decided to send it to authorised technicians and to their dismay that there are non-original parts inside.

Comment

i can't imagine either..i guess i will just tell RSC change em' back whatever it's not original...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X