X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Watches

Stemming from this thread here:

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/106724...for-all-faults

Let us share what we know of watches. This' purely based on my own initiative which I thought we can all share unbiased, honest information for the benefit of the community. There's no fixed format yet so let me start some raw information in my following post..

**Disclaimer : Users are to verify the information on their own accord. Information provided are member's knowledge and this information is not endorsed by this forum**
    The Crown Of Achievement

Omega - Speedmaster

I have heard from several owners and seen one myself (3510 model) that the white paint on the hands peeled over time. A wear-n-tear issue. The one I saw was bought new from an AD and used by owner for 7-8 years.

Sinn - U1

A common prob is with the double AR (anti-reflective) coats on the glass. Visible lines tend to surface after even a short period of careful usage. This, I have personally see it on few used U1 watches. One way of rectifying is to remove the coats totally which I heard. I'm not sure anyone has actually done that and the result of it.

The screw-in crown tend to feel a little loose after some time and you have to treat it more delicately as the watch ages.

Panerai - 312

I have heard there is no quick-set date function on this in-house automatic movement. Can someone verify this pls?
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Great initiative, Ocean. Kudos for starting this thread, so that we can be more aware of niggling issues of some watches an what to look out for before purchasing them. Thanks for having this post!
      "Oh enjoying the thrill of the chase is fine. Craving the distraction of the game, I sympathize entirely. But sentiment, sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side."

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        Omega - Speedmaster

I have heard from several owners and seen one myself (3510 model) that the white paint on the hands peeled over time. A wear-n-tear issue. The one I saw was bought new from an AD and used by owner for 7-8 years.
        A wear-n-tear issue that is regarded as a technical issue? The more expensive watches tend to last longer than the very cheap ones, so where do we draw a line on such wear-n-tear issues?

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        Panerai - 312

I have heard there is no quick-set date function on this in-house automatic movement. Can someone verify this pls?
        While quick-set capability has become kind of a hygiene factor for watches with date, not having it does not make it a technical issue. And you aren't even sure about how it actually works in this case of 312, hence it falls under the category of "hearsay".

While I applause this initiative, I think your first few examples have blurred the scope of what you want to capture under this thread, Mr. Ocean.
        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Sorry if I haven't been very clear. My intentions were never on specific 'technical' or 'wear-n-tear' issues, or whether 'hearsay' or 'verified true' information. My suggestion was to simply have a thread to be able to collate general issues on watches. In can be over technical aspects, common wear-n-tear issues, hearsay just state hearsay, factual say factual. But this part of it can't be verified over the forum right? So why fret over it?

Let's say you talk to people over some watches over time and you often heard a particular model surfaced by these different owners to have a common problem. Where can this information be shared? True or not the reader go find out or research lor..
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Not limited to technical or specific type of issues I agree; to include hearsays I don't support. As I said earlier, you risk collecting a chunk of rumors. And if incorrect rumors are not rectified quickly or at all, it is not only unfair to the manufacturers but may also mislead readers. Anyway as usual, your thread, your rules

Just for clarification - is this thread for "other brands" excluding Rolex or including? If including, maybe it's more appropriate to place the thread under kopi-talk and for better exposure as well?

My feedback to this initiative ends here, so that the ball can get rolling.
            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

I agree that there shouldn't be 'hearsays' but this' something beyond our control because when it comes to "cyber info", there's no control. I'll rather people share and declare the source of info rather than not share at all. But heh dude! Tx for sharing your thoughts

Yes, any brand also can. I'm just doing a trial on my own and see how this works or not. At least I know I tried.

I will move the thread to Kopi-Talk.

Tx again
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

i have amended the thread title so that it is not just technical aspects.
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Appreciate the advice and effort
                  The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

initially it was to cover only technical problem. but later the issues mentioned was not related to technical. as such the thread was changed to accommodate other aspects of a watch.

this thread is primarily for users to highlight certain "unhappiness" about a watch

Originally posted by Hiroki
                    Sorry boss Oceanklassik. I ' m very lost right now, This Thread talking about technical issue? Or Issues with Watches?

I about to understand when i see this but i lost against.

Are we talking about what's good what's not good on some particular watch, If yes i think i back on my track! sorry i think i very kuku.
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Good sharing thx for the infomations

Comment

Tx for clarifying. I just hope to find a simple way to collate problems watch owners face with watches they have owned or are still using, in hope that this information collated can benefit the watch appreciating community at large, especially when it comes to making informed (not about correct/wrong) choices of watches to buy.

Another simple analogy will be Movie/Film Reviews. There are just so many movies and films in our cinemas day-in-day-out and how do one choose a good movie/film to go to? Most will read up on reviews and where do these reviews come from? Will the reviews be good always? Will the movie/film producer sue those who give poor reviews? Will those with poor reviews (ratings) deter everyone to watch them?

I just hope these information will not go to waste, especially we have space here to make good such information
                        Last edited by Oceanklassik; 13-03-13, 10:19 AM.
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X