Single brand or many brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single brand or many brands?

i am trying to start watch collecting....i dont know if i should buy all Rolex or 1 watch per brand.......

thinking of trading my pam111 with another rolex...after which i will concentrate on just buying rolex...

oh...the dilemma....i actually wanted to get an omega planet ocean next...then B&R 93...then if wife permits...a Hublot Big Bang or AP ROO....

i want to have a display cabinet done after a few years to showcase my watches....my plan is to get 1 to 2 watches a year...

bros....what are your thoughts?
    Watches kept for the next generation...
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual Circa 1999
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 G-Series
    Omega Speedmaster Date
    Sinn U1

Different strokes for different folks

Some people they collect single brand, very loyal. Some they collect single complication type, for example diver, pilot or chronograph watches. Some collect certain movement. May type of collectors out there.

I personally like diversity in my collection. Of course over the years you would lean towards certain brand, but die die must buy one brand would never be the case in my purchasing decision.
    [SIZE="2"][U][B]Movement collection:[/B][/U]
    [U]German:[/U] Junghans 687, Durowe 7420
    [U]Russian:[/U] Poljot 3133, Poljot 2612, Vostok
    [U]Chinese:[/U] Seagull
    [U]Japanese:[/U] Seiko(s)
    [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Comment

I tried to keep my collection towards a single brand - pam, but could not resist the many fine pieces out there... at one point or another, I've have had pams, rolex, vintage tudor/rolex, heuer, vintage omega, vintage seiko... now contemplating a contemporary omega ...
      "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
      three times is enemy action and
      over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
      ."

Comment

I will diversify into other brands in future...not possible to stay in Rolex all the way..that's tough man!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Go for the one that u like best.
          Current

Rolex DSSD
          Rolex SD
          Pam 162
          Pam 351
          Tudor Hydronaut
          Fortis 24hrs Automatic
          Seiko Sumo Automatic

Comment

to answer your question.

first u need to ask yourself, what you like in your watch collection.

some of the follow questions may help you decide. but believe me, halfway through when you start collecting, your goal will change. so it is better to stick to a brand you like best first.

do you like to have watches to have good movement?
            do you like to have watch brand which have good reputable hisotry?
            do you like to have different functions of watches?
            what is your budget?
            do you want watch that will retain or at leasts does not lose its value too much?
            do you want watch that is produced with special casing?

i aint no expert in rolex and panerai movements. but i can tell u something about my experiences with both of them. i would choose rolex over panerai because they have in house movements for at least their basic sports models.

im not saying panerai does not have in house movement, but are you willing to pay premium price for their in house movement?

there are many different types of functions available such as chronograph, double split, rattrapante, flyback, alarm, GMT, power reserve, and so on.........

some brands basically the day u buy them, u lose about 50% of its value. take for example, JLC has one of the loudest alarm in the market, even some other leading brands are using their movement for their alarm models. JLC has one of the most number of patents in watch movements, but locally, resale value is bad for this brand. so how? u buy or u dont buy?

some watch brands are selling well because of their 'prime' concept. for Bell and Ross, it is the square that is their trademark. for hublot, it is their big bang, same movement, just use different material for casing to generate variants. AP is the special shape that makes its trademark, does many ppl know of their millenery line? dont take me that i wont own a hublot, B&R or AP, but i need to convince myself that i really like the design, the brand, its movements before i get one.

i have looked to buy a panerai for at least 5 years, till today, i dont have 1 yet. but i do have couple of rolex. different people buy watches for different reasons. most important is that you like the watch first, that is the crucial factor.

as for your idea of getting a display cabinet, i personally dont like the idea. i think it attract too much attention.
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

diversify and you'll find it very interesting every year after BaselWorld.
              I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
              A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
              Audemars Piguet ROO
              Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
              De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
              Habring2 Pilot Time Date
              Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
              Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
              IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
              Panerai 270
              Patek Philippe 5711/1a
              Rolex 116610LV
              Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Rolex...

Now looking at other brands but don't wanna pay first hand price for other brands...

Comment

hoshi8, I agree with triton, display cabinet is a bit showoff. Why dont you get a glass top watch box? Hide it somewhere in your house, when your friends come, take out your watch box and I am sure your friend will give you this face >>>

Originally posted by hoshi8 View Post
                  i am trying to start watch collecting....i dont know if i should buy all Rolex or 1 watch per brand.......

thinking of trading my pam111 with another rolex...after which i will concentrate on just buying rolex...

oh...the dilemma....i actually wanted to get an omega planet ocean next...then B&R 93...then if wife permits...a Hublot Big Bang or AP ROO....

i want to have a display cabinet done after a few years to showcase my watches....my plan is to get 1 to 2 watches a year...

bros....what are your thoughts?

Comment

wah..display cabinet...can ask Orbita Corporation to customize...winders + storage + locking mechanism...
                    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                    Audemars Piguet ROO
                    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                    Panerai 270
                    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                    Rolex 116610LV
                    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Bro, simple - follow ur heart. Buy wat u like. YMMV.
                      "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

thanks alot for your feedback bros...especially the detailed explanation by triton...

first off....if i concentrate on rolex...then i wont worry so much about resale value however i will be having alot of the 'same' watches....example 5 different variations of the submariner...seadweller...GMT...daytona...then i will considered a true collector of rolex...

if i diversify the brands...i get alot of variety and movements...but resale wouldnt be as good as rolex.... and as what triton says earlier...collect different 'types' of watches can be really tough and expensive....example..minute repeater...perpetual calendar...tourbillon....the list goes on and on...

guess i got to go with my heart...not my wallet...hope to make watch keeping a passion for many years to come....

after considering what you guys said....i dont think rolex has many unique looking watches and they are 'too common'....so different brands direction is where i would go even though resale is worse!

about the display cabinet....i thought its like a piece of art in the house...heehee...never thought of the showoff factor....anyways...not many people come to my place....its mainly for my own pleasure....saw my friend with a large cabinet with thousands worth of 'toys' and it looks great! want to share my passion with friends and family and hope to poison them when they see the display cabinet...

once again..THANKS!
                        Omega Speedmaster Date
                        Sinn U1

Comment

Ha ha... don't get your maid poisoned as well.... later she runaway with your babies.....

Originally posted by hoshi8 View Post
                          thanks alot for your feedback bros...especially the detailed explanation by triton...

first off....if i concentrate on rolex...then i wont worry so much about resale value however i will be having alot of the 'same' watches....example 5 different variations of the submariner...seadweller...GMT...daytona...then i will considered a true collector of rolex...

if i diversify the brands...i get alot of variety and movements...but resale wouldnt be as good as rolex.... and as what triton says earlier...collect different 'types' of watches can be really tough and expensive....example..minute repeater...perpetual calendar...tourbillon....the list goes on and on...

guess i got to go with my heart...not my wallet...hope to make watch keeping a passion for many years to come....

after considering what you guys said....i dont think rolex has many unique looking watches and they are 'too common'....so different brands direction is where i would go even though resale is worse!

about the display cabinet....i thought its like a piece of art in the house...heehee...never thought of the showoff factor....anyways...not many people come to my place....its mainly for my own pleasure....saw my friend with a large cabinet with thousands worth of 'toys' and it looks great! want to share my passion with friends and family and hope to poison them when they see the display cabinet...
                          once again..THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
                            wah..display cabinet...can ask Orbita Corporation to customize...winders + storage + locking mechanism...
                            with my watches' value and range....i think johor contractors is more appropriate...

however...i think it will look damn nice with spotlight beaming on top of your prized possessions all seating nicely in their respective winders...

dont think i will ever get tired of sitting in my living room 'admiring' my own watches....thinking of all the years struggling within myself which watch to get to finally get that collection...

just a dream....hope my 'plans' goes well and have at least 1 to 2 acquisitions every year...

P.S....Disclaimer: I am trying to start a family so when my child comes...i may not have enough money to make new acquisitions...so to all the bros who have advised me....my query is hypothetical...pardon me if my watch collecting passion is put on hold...
                            Omega Speedmaster Date
                            Sinn U1

Comment

I started out collecting mainly Omega / Rolex watches but have since diversify into other brands ... Some current personal favourites include Glashutte Original, Jaeger LeCoultre ...
                              运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X