10USD laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10USD laptop

NEW DELHI - INDIA has unveiled plans to produce a laptop computer costing just US$10 (S$15) in a bid to improve the skills of millions of students across the country.

The laptops will be mass-produced as part of a government-sponsored education scheme launched on Tuesday in the southern city of Tirupati.

Details about the computer remain scarce, but Higher Education Secretary R.P. Agrawal said last week that it would be available within six months.

"Once the testing is over, the computers will be made available on commercial basis," he told the Press Trust of India news agency.

"Its cost will be 10 US dollars. If the parents want to gift something to their kids, they can easily purchase this item."

The laptop will reportedly have a two gigabyte memory and wireless Internet capability, but officials have not publicly demonstrated a prototype - or yet explained how it can be produced at such a low cost.

The government has earmarked more than 46 billion rupees (S$1.4 billion) to develop the low-power gadget to work in rural areas with unreliable power supply and poor Internet connectivity.

The planned laptop is part of a push to increase the number of students in higher education and give them the technological skills needed to further boost India's economic growth.

New Delhi rebuffed a previous attempt to bring cheap laptops to India, led by MIT computer scientist Nicholas Negroponte's One Laptop Per Child programme.

The government cited hidden costs for its rejection of that computer, which was dubbed the US$100 laptop.

-- AFP

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...0.html?vgnmr=1
    1675/16610/116234/78240
    Ball CM1092C-S1J-BR/NT BLUE MARKER
    Hublot BB ASF
    PAM 104J
    Sinn 903 H2
    Tutima Chrono Fx LE/RXW
    U-boat classico AS-classico AB (53mm)
    If you pick up a starving dog and nurse him well, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Maybe when distributor buy some and sell in SG, it will be selling at a much inflated price.... maybe $499... zzzz
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

dont get excited. lets see the final product then talk. many years ago, there was claim of the sub $100 notebook.. it never materialised. the only thing closest to it was the asus eeepc
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

maybe the us$10 is after subsidy by the indian education ministry/govt
        "The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...
        the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind.
        If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ALBERT EINSTEIN (1879-1955)

Comment

what use is a laptop if there is no running water, connected electricity grid, etc. dont mean to sound mean and rude, but many years back, Mr Clinton gave a bunch of computers to India, only to see them rot. For one simple reason: because there is no electricity to power them in the first place
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X