No announcement yet.

WhatsApp no longer free...will you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No not a hoax like the last time unless my friends/colleagues bluff me. One of them just told me this morning that she was prompted to pay but didn't do so and as a result she now can only receive but cannot send from whatsapp. Then there is also the statement that I found from their site.

But I also learned that some people got extended when expired so they seem to be inconsistent and not very transparent...
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Errrrr...... You have watches that are a few thousand dollars and here you are fretting about $1.30 max? They have been graceful and let you use their app for so long. So lets pay it forward.

Comment

Originally posted by terrenceterrence View Post
        Errrrr...... You have watches that are a few thousand dollars and here you are fretting about $1.30 max? They have been graceful and let you use their app for so long. So lets pay it forward.
        So, obviously it is not a matter of money, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
          Haha I knew someone would say that. I am one who do not download any mobile phone app that is chargeable. I also think I could live without WhatsApp.

On the Google Play Store, there are more than 2 millions reviews of WhatsApp. We know not every user give a review. So let's vaguely say half of the 2 millions are non-iPhone user that must now subscribe to use the app. That's a near USD 1 million handsome revenue per year.
          I know where u coming from. But I really do use it heavily and it's very handy for keeping in touch with friends. I don't see why I shouldn't pay for it. After all we do pay for mobile phone subscription, utilities, cable tv etc right?
          elusive

Comment

Sure it's personal choice and we make choice based on needs, likes, principle and sometimes feel-good factor. All choices should be respected.

I am paying subscription for things at home which I hardly use but I feel "song".

I also give a very small part of my salary to charity on monthly basis but I wouldn't buy from aunties selling tissues at hawker centers.

Comment

Have been using BB the last 2 years +, thought my "free trial" would end after the first year but to my surprise it has been extended without me knowing for another 6 mths. 6 mths later...I still see it extended without me doing anything...so I guess I m fine as of now haha but if they really want me to pay for it. Bo pian lor...my reliance on whatsapp is pretty high and so used to it liao.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Just checked mine. Its lifetime.
                Probably carried forward from iphone as same phone number.

For a useful app I will pay to buy the app. But not monthly subscription.
                Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Whatsapp has become very much a part of most people's lives. I guess $0.99 USD is very ok for most people.

Then again, can understand the feeling of having to pay for something which started out as "free"

I will pay for it though!

Comment

Originally posted by LYH View Post
                    Whatsapp has become very much a part of most people's lives. I guess $0.99 USD is very ok for most people.

Then again, can understand the feeling of having to pay for something which started out as "free"

I will pay for it though!
                    Agreed bro!............bopien leh...
                    Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
                    • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
                    • Montre de MarQue
                    • Etoile D'Or
                    • Hotel Indonesia
                    • Glory Time
                    • The Watch-Collector
                    • Time Palace
                    • The Swiss Connection
                    • M Baker
                    • Maurice Lacroix
                    • Time Marques
                    • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

If you want to use it, pay for it.

If you don't want to pay, don't use it.

Comment

As a software developer myself, I feel that it is generous for what's app to be available for users for such a period of time for free.

If i am not wrong, developers have to pay an annual subscription fee for listing their apps in apps store and google play. As such, charging a monthly subscription maybe a way to offset the cost.

It is like free apps (usually with ads), paid apps (ads free). If what's app were to introduce ads space in their apps for sale, maybe users don't have to pay for subscription. Honestly speaking, free apps which has ads in them also hard to entice users to click on them. maybe that is why the developer chose to impose a monthly subscription.

imposing a monthly subscription may not go down well with users who have been using the apps for so long and there are alternative apps.

however, one can argue that so many users each user pay 10cts per month can be quite substantial. then again, which company don't want to make profit?

i would rather what's app have 2 version - free and paid. for free app version, there is limited features. for paid apps there is additional features. in this way, users can choose which version to use.

also, would there be a cost for keeping users contact details? like storing in a server or something. this would be operating costs as well.
                        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                        1. subject heading indicating your issue
                        2. your nick
                        3. your corresponding email address
                        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I would pay, knew it would become chargeable sooner or later anyways.

Comment

See link... may change your minds with Whatsapp !!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-575...nder-scrutiny/

" One of the world's most popular cross-platform applications "violates" international privacy laws, according to the Canadian and Dutch data protection authorities, because it requires users to provide their entire contact list to the service. "
                            ROLEX.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                              also, would there be a cost for keeping users contact details? like storing in a server or something. this would be operating costs as well.
                              The need to keep track of users' contact is a consequence of the way they charge the users.

Comment

There wouldn't be any issue at all if WhatsApp makes it very clear to the non-Apple users the eventual charges, at the point of installation.

Normally when you install a PC sw or app that is of a trial version, it clearly says during or right after installation that it is for trial and up to how many days. Not the case for WhatsApp.

But then maybe if they had done the above and be very transparent on the charges, they would not become this popular.

As of this very moment, WhatsApp is still listed as free app on the Google Play Store. Ranking wise it ranks 2nd under "Top Free" and ran 8th under "Top Grossing".

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X