No announcement yet.

WhatsApp no longer free...will you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WhatsApp no longer free...will you pay?

Well, it is still free to use so longer you are on wifi, but no longer free to install the app.

Many of my friends who use Android phone received a notification that said the app had expired and that they would need to pay for subscription.

It used to be that only iPhones need to pay for the installation but it is now disadvantage on non-iPhone.

Statement from WhatsApp website:

For iPhone there is only a one-time charge, when you first download the app. Thankfully, Apple lets you re-download WhatsApp for free, as many times as you need. Please remember to use the same AppleID each time.

For all other phone types (Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, and Nokia), WhatsApp is free to download and try for the first year. After which, you have the option of subscribing to an additional year of service for $0.99 USD.

Subscriptions are cumulative, so if you pay for an additional year of service, it will add to your current subscription or free year-long trial. There is no difference between the free and paid versions of WhatsApp other than the length of service.

There are other similar and better apps such as LINE and Viber, so I will dump WhatsApp when mine expires in a week's time and use LINE (which I have been using for a while).
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

I won't pay, i will stick with sms and further more my sms is always under use.

Comment

i download WhatsApp around 4year ago, during that time its not free & had to paid US$0.99

Comment

last year Xmas have promo which is free for certain period only, and back to chargeable

Comment

It saves u a lot more money if u do lots of group SMS and group meetings. Alternatively, try using WeChat. Better than whatsapp except u can't download and email the chat history.
          Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
          Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
          GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
          GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
          DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
          DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
          , 18238 malachite
          DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
          AP 15300 Black
          Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
          GP 18k RG
          IWC Port 3714 Chrono
          Chronoswiss Skeleton
          Corum Bubble Lucifer

Comment

Some advantages of using those communication apps over sms/mms:

- group chat
            - free multi-media files sharing (pics, document etc) with wifi connection
            - free calls with wifi connection - useful when you are overseas (can't do this with WhatsApp though)

Sending mult-media files using mms is expensive (more so when roaming), and no free sms when you are overseas.

Comment

It's only 99 cents a year.... I will just pay.
              elusive

Comment

i am using android phone, i am not being prompted to pay for the app.

Comment

Originally posted by satch View Post
                  It's only 99 cents a year.... I will just pay.
                  Haha I knew someone would say that. I am one who do not download any mobile phone app that is chargeable. I also think I could live without WhatsApp.

On the Google Play Store, there are more than 2 millions reviews of WhatsApp. We know not every user give a review. So let's vaguely say half of the 2 millions are non-iPhone user that must now subscribe to use the app. That's a near USD 1 million handsome revenue per year.

Comment

Usd0.99 is cheaper compared to POSB'a monthly fee of 2 bucks regardless of balance!
                    Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
                    Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
                    GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
                    GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
                    DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
                    DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
                    , 18238 malachite
                    DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
                    AP 15300 Black
                    Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
                    GP 18k RG
                    IWC Port 3714 Chrono
                    Chronoswiss Skeleton
                    Corum Bubble Lucifer

Comment

Originally posted by dragonforce View Post
                      i am using android phone, i am not being prompted to pay for the app.
                      Could be the time is not up yet.

To check the expiry date in Android, go to Settings->Account->Payment Info->Service expiration

A fellow member told me his Samsung phone shows "lifetime" and he first installed WhatsApp in iPhone. So I guess the subscription is carried over from iPhone but I am not sure.

Comment

Using Android....just check the settings....LIFETIME.....
                        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Hiroki
                          not important for me my mobile price plan free for 1000 sms or mms
                          no choice every time watch for sale at sg roc no pic ask to send pic do you have WhatsApp if i say no pic not send alamak so i download WhatsApp i got it for free this all free app what i know if you upgrade you pay lah but what i know chargeable app one time payment you can download at same account for apple lah for the example i download sgmy calendar in 2011 is free very good i can say recommendation app lah public holiday school holiday festive season all in but three months after i see alamak usd 99c year after year non chargeable i dont know this WhatsApp have yearly chargeable sound like property tax alamak
                          Bro, do you talk like you write...without commas or full stops?

Comment

Originally posted by Hiroki
                            look at my Signature
                            I was just kidding so don't angry ok but i don't think no full stops has much to do with poor english anyway I see you tomorrow

Comment

is this chargeable whatsapp thing another hoax? the rumour has been around for ages... just like facebook will start charging people etc. Anyway, if need to pay, I will delete the app!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X