X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution for watch dealers too

TODAY, Friday - January 30, 2009

$100,000 lost to conman

AN UPSCALE jewellery shop in Fullerton Hotel lost more than $100,000 worth of valuables to a smooth-talking conman on Sunday morning. The suspect entered Raffles Jeweller shortly before 10am and claimed he wanted to buy two sets of jewellery, including diamond rings, bracelets and necklaces.

He then instructed the store manager, a man in his 40s, to follow him into the hotel lobby, claiming he wanted to get cash to pay for the valuables. The fraudster told the manager that he was going to meet up with some VIPs; he then made his way alone to a nearby restaurant.

But a few minutes later, the manager heard him conversing with shop colleagues nearby, and the man was later seen leaving. The manager smelt a rat and phoned the shop - only to find out that the conman had managed to convince the staff to hand over the valuables.

Police describe the suspect as fair-complexioned, with short, black hair, about 1.7m tall and last seen wearing a dark blue coat with striped trousers. Those with any information may call the police hotline at 1800-2550000. 938Live

The Crown Of Achievement

think some of the pre-owned dealers also kena b4, but most of the time, snatch and run case
    "The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...
    the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind.
    If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ALBERT EINSTEIN (1879-1955)

Comment

the conman had managed to convince the staff to hand over the valuables???

Without seeing the cash, why the staff hand over the jewelleries to him???

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      TODAY, Friday - January 30, 2009

$100,000 lost to conman

AN UPSCALE jewellery shop in Fullerton Hotel lost more than $100,000 worth of valuables to a smooth-talking conman on Sunday morning. The suspect entered Raffles Jeweller shortly before 10am and claimed he wanted to buy two sets of jewellery, including diamond rings, bracelets and necklaces.

He then instructed the store manager, a man in his 40s, to follow him into the hotel lobby, claiming he wanted to get cash to pay for the valuables. The fraudster told the manager that he was going to meet up with some VIPs; he then made his way alone to a nearby restaurant.

But a few minutes later, the manager heard him conversing with shop colleagues nearby, and the man was later seen leaving. The manager smelt a rat and phoned the shop - only to find out that the conman had managed to convince the staff to hand over the valuables.

Police describe the suspect as fair-complexioned, with short, black hair, about 1.7m tall and last seen wearing a dark blue coat with striped trousers. Those with any information may call the police hotline at 1800-2550000. 938Live

Comment

snatch and run case insurance cover....

the conman had managed to convince the staff to hand over the valuables case, I don't think so....

Originally posted by ping3288 View Post
        think some of the pre-owned dealers also kena b4, but most of the time, snatch and run case

Comment

ya, bro.

should be able to claim insurance for snatch n run case.

as for the staff handing over , think they got a harder case to fight.

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
          snatch and run case insurance cover....

the conman had managed to convince the staff to hand over the valuables case, I don't think so....
          "The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...
          the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind.
          If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ALBERT EINSTEIN (1879-1955)

Comment

Maybe he told the staff that the manager asked the staff to pass him the goods?

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

So he told the staff that the manager ask her to jump into the sea and she jumps??

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
              Maybe he told the staff that the manager asked the staff to pass him the goods?

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                So he told the staff that the manager ask her to jump into the sea and she jumps??

Maybe?

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Next time we go to that jewellery and tell the sales asst that the manager ask her to give us free jewellery and I think she will give us... or maybe we should try Rolex ADs first.... ha ha....

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

Maybe?

Comment

Mmmm... now I smell a rat
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

So next time we go there and tell the staff that we have paid to the manager ahead and pick what we want!!!

Originally posted by Andrew Tay
                      the story goes like this.

this guy went to this jewellery shop...give the impression that he wanted to buy a few jewellery. so when he have chosen those he wanted....he told the manager that he need to go collect cash from somewhere else and wanted the manager to follow him.

somehow, when this con-man and manager left the place.....this con-man managed to find an excuse (i dun know what) and rush back to the shop with the manager at somewhere other than the shop and told the staff that he has give the cash to the manager....so the staff give the con-man the jewellery.

end of story.

Comment

ive paid cash for WG daytona, WG DD. both on meteorite dial. Done! . Can I please see the invoice
                        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                        Blue 6694
                        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

this thing can be prevented if e staff actually call up e manager to confirm.
                          "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

as a staff, one must be on the ball. i have a method of always double checking so as to avoid lapses. an extra second spent, but potentially your job saved.
                            [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                            [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                            Blue 6694
                            Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                            [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                            [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X