Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions required

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum. juz recently developed an interest and appreciation for watches..but i'm still v v noob where watches are concerned..

I'm in my 20s and is about to start work. thinking of getting a watch for myself - so far, i'm torn between a cartier santos 100 or a rolex ladies datejust. Any ideas what shd i get? i'll prefer a classy watch that is versatile at the same time. in addition, any idea of the prices of these 2 watches?

thanks so much for ur help!

Hi

First off, welcome to the forum!

Between the 2 watches, i would always suggest you to get the Rolex first... then move on to other brands (especially fasion brand watches like Cartier, Bvlgari, etc) in future...

If you are not particular in buying 2nd hand, the datejust should not be too ex for you..
    The Cartier Santos Ladies sld still cost ard 5k or a lil lower after discount? Need bros with the exact price to clarify here....
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

thanks!
      what's the price difference between a brand new rolex DJ and a relatively new 2nd hand one?

Comment

Originally posted by chinchilla View Post
        Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum. juz recently developed an interest and appreciation for watches..but i'm still v v noob where watches are concerned..

I'm in my 20s and is about to start work. thinking of getting a watch for myself - so far, i'm torn between a cartier santos 100 or a rolex ladies datejust. Any ideas what shd i get? i'll prefer a classy watch that is versatile at the same time. in addition, any idea of the prices of these 2 watches?

i definetly go for the Santos.. date just too common...i'm not sure if you are able to find the Santos brand new cos i remembered it was a discon model. But preowned you shld be able to get one for abt 5K.Keep a look out at the market place...

Comment

oh.. u mean the Santos 100 is discontinued? what a pity..
          been passing by Sincere, Cortina, THG qt a few times.. but paiseh to walk inside to enquire coz of earlier experiences where the staff juz ignore me or give me weird stares due to my age.. bleh..

Comment

yesh discon model,but you can call the shops and check they may have one in stock or display.(Let the fingers do the walking mah..)

Comment

dun think that the santos 100 is discontinued. it is a "cash cow" series for cartier

you can see rolex almost anywhere, from wet market to takashimaya. to a lot of pple, rolex is a symbol of status.

cartier is a luxury brand, known as "king of jewellers, jeweller of the kings". santos is an iconic watch series of the brand, the "santos" look has been around for a long time, 100years?, and it still look good.

i would go for a cartier santos 100, no offense to rolex supporters
              "The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...
              the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind.
              If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ALBERT EINSTEIN (1879-1955)

Comment

sis,

just walk confidently to the cartier display, and ask for the px.

times are bad, the sales pple will be more than happy to sell to meet their target.

I think age is not a big issue here. quite a lot of young people are wearing cartier. my wife got her first cartier when she was 21.

oh.. u mean the Santos 100 is discontinued? what a pity..
                been passing by Sincere, Cortina, THG qt a few times.. but paiseh to walk inside to enquire coz of earlier experiences where the staff juz ignore me or give me weird stares due to my age.. bleh..
                "The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...
                the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind.
                If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ALBERT EINSTEIN (1879-1955)

Comment

in a rolex forum, you ask for which one to get first among the choice of rolex and cartier. it would have to be a rolex DJ.

ladies DJ itself has many variations. from stainless steel to half gold to full gold. bracelet itself from jubilee bracelet to oyster bracelet. dial colors have range from black to white to gray to computer face to blue to......its markers range from numerals to roman to diamond. price start from about 8k to ........for a brand new piece. for second hand, price is usually about 40% of its list price of the series.

do note that for preown watches aka second hand, some comes with box and papers, some with box or papers and some without box and papers. box and papers do not affect the selling price of ladies DJ as much as the men sports models such as submariner date, explorer II and so on.

between a rolex and cartier, most ladies will prefer to go for cartier first. usually is because the looks rather than retaining value is more important for most ladies. do note that rolex ladies DJ has a better resale value compared to the santos 100.

the next thing you will ask would be what is the discount structure like. do note that some of the forum members here have pretty decent relationship with some of the AD such as The Hour Glass, Cortina, Watch Palace, THH, KHH, etc. so their discount might be better than what you are offered by the AD.

as usual, cash payment will get the most discount, followed by master/visa followed by amex. you can also choose part cash payment, part card payment, but discount will not be as good as cash.
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

cortina at millenia walk carries the santos....

i think JW might have one for sale as well...

personally....datejust is far too common...my office also got like 3 to 4 ladies wearing it....and they are always the SS jubilee bracelet with white or some light shades face!

i think you should get a Submariner....i think women looks great with big watches....especially an iconic watch like the subbie...
                    Watches kept for the next generation...
                    Rolex Oyster Perpetual Circa 1999
                    Rolex Explorer II 216570 G-Series
                    Omega Speedmaster Date
                    Sinn U1

Comment

Hi everyone!

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

A classy + versatile watch...needless to say.that would be the datejust.

There are like...1001 variations for this watch...I m not sure of your budget but I think one with a roman numeral marker and Mother of Pearl face would be perfect. a Stainless steel piece would do good for you...since u want something that's versatile and not too flashy.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

My datejust last me over 20 years. Only recently it stops no long after I take it off. I guess it is finally time for servicing... also, I paid like S$2k for it 20 years ago and if I sell it today, it will worth around the same...

Comment

the DJ is common, but why not step outside the typical circle and look for something like an Explorer. one of my ex wore that looks damn cute on a lady's wrist
                          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                          Blue 6694
                          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

thanks all of u for ur help!

Comment

YES YES... my wife wears a EXPI.... very nice!!!

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                              the DJ is common, but why not step outside the typical circle and look for something like an Explorer. one of my ex wore that looks damn cute on a lady's wrist

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X