Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get to XXX primary sch?

hi, bros

asking a qn here for my share dealer friend, his son gg to primary school in 3 years time, he wanted to enrol his son in a reasonable OK sch, he did some enquiry, was told that the queue is quite long for a reasonable good school

a) he does not live 1km
    b) not old boys
    c) no sibling studying there

any ideas how to increase his chance?
    volunteer? donation?
    "The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...
    the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind.
    If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ALBERT EINSTEIN (1879-1955)

There are different phases in registration, by the looks of it, your friend would probably have to do some form of volunteering.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admi...ration/phases/

Comment

not to forget volunteering increases your network, but a donation will also get you noticed.
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

By any chance your friend is Catholic, Methodist, Protestant, Anglican etc? For the schools that is a mission school of the respective Christian division, his child gets a priority, Phase 2A automatically.

Like I am a Catholic and I get to Phase 2A of a Catholic school automatically.

Now a days, its the volunteer work that gets you in more than donation. Imagine Jim Rogers himself also did volunteer work, although frankly, he have the $$ to buy the entire school.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
        - GMT II
        - GMT IIc TT
        - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
        - Master Eight Days (1608420)
        - U1
        - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Originally posted by ping3288 View Post
          hi, bros

asking a qn here for my share dealer friend, his son gg to primary school in 3 years time, he wanted to enrol his son in a reasonable OK sch, he did some enquiry, was told that the queue is quite long for a reasonable good school

a) he does not live 1km
          b) not old boys
          c) no sibling studying there

any ideas how to increase his chance?
          volunteer? donation?
          big headache ah, come to schooling...

my girl now p2... in rgs

i tried to get her into nanyang in p1, tough lah .. me nanyang old boi for only afew yrs no count, so by the time come to Phase 2C, i think at tht time was 60+ vacancy ....i opt not to try nanyang, cos given their 'record' it's usually taken up by ppl within 1km.... ( we are outta 2km ).

so end up trying for rgs ( which is within 2km )... slot left, i think 50+ , actually less thn nanyang ...

but nanyang slot all taken by those within 1km.

rgs, there's still left over after those within 2km.

hmm... heng ah, never try nanyang.

my boi, i join old boi leow, so should not be a problem.

all of these registratiion, law by law 1... if no choice thn end up with a sch not of choice, thn try to transfer after p1.... tht 1 hor, see how yr frd can 'work and bargain' leow loh ...

Comment

Donate a library. Sure can get in....

Comment

Actually what so good about nanyang?? My cousin was from that school, doesn't seems very good leh... only hear from my auntie saying stress stress all the time...

Originally posted by pet View Post
              big headache ah, come to schooling...

my girl now p2... in rgs

i tried to get her into nanyang in p1, tough lah .. me nanyang old boi for only afew yrs no count, so by the time come to Phase 2C, i think at tht time was 60+ vacancy ....i opt not to try nanyang, cos given their 'record' it's usually taken up by ppl within 1km.... ( we are outta 2km ).

so end up trying for rgs ( which is within 2km )... slot left, i think 50+ , actually less thn nanyang ...

but nanyang slot all taken by those within 1km.

rgs, there's still left over after those within 2km.

hmm... heng ah, never try nanyang.

my boi, i join old boi leow, so should not be a problem.

all of these registratiion, law by law 1... if no choice thn end up with a sch not of choice, thn try to transfer after p1.... tht 1 hor, see how yr frd can 'work and bargain' leow loh ...

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                Actually what so good about nanyang?? My cousin was from that school, doesn't seems very good leh... only hear from my auntie saying stress stress all the time...
                ya loh .. it's actually my parents who wnts me to send her there ...

lucky after some explaination on those pri sch reg phrase, they decided to allow me to reg rgs for her... if i stick to nanyang..likely my daughter will be at some lauya sch or some sch quite a distance away

Comment

Actually there really is no hard and fast rule. Technically speaking, clocking a number of hours is the best bet first. If you are apt at a certain sport, you can also offer to help out with the respective CCAs. However, the number of hours clocked must be started on 2 years before you reg. I would strongly recommend being a parent volunteer at schools with affiliation.

Comment

err...me got no kids but no harm learning more about the edu enrolment system nowadays...so what criteria do good schools use to decide whether to take in the kids?

old boys - first prority? stay within 1km first priority??

cheers

james
                    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                    Audemars Piguet ROO
                    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                    Panerai 270
                    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                    Rolex 116610LV
                    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

I think both will be under different phrases...but if u ask me...I think old boys shld be first priority

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

MOE website: http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admi...ration/phases/

In short:

1. Sibling(s) currently studying in sch.
                        2. Laobeh/laobu former student + current alumni / some bigshot.
                        3. Laobeh/laobu former student + working in sch.
                        4. Parent-volunteer type.
                        5. Heng-sway + see proximity.
                        6. "Super-sub" type

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I think hor...if some bigshot..it wont be number 2...it will be number ZERO...dun need to queue 1

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                            I think hor...if some bigshot..it wont be number 2...it will be number ZERO...dun need to queue 1
                            Actually darkie you are wrong. A certain L** family had to ballot to get their youngest who is now in Sec 2 into one of the premier primary schools. I guess they wanted to show that they did not need preferential treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
                              err...me got no kids but no harm learning more about the edu enrolment system nowadays...so what criteria do good schools use to decide whether to take in the kids?

old boys - first prority? stay within 1km first priority??

cheers

james
                              Actually, siblings get first priority. Even so for GEP kids. If a child gets into GEP and transfers to a school with GEP, their siblings get to transfer too and their spots in their old school is actually reserved for them should they chose to go back after a year. Best of both worlds.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X