This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on the finding of my omega speedmaster mark 2

Greetings folks! I have troubled about a recent deal that didn’t quite turn out right and like to hear what you folks have to say from your past similar experience and what are the options open to me in such a situation. This is what actually happened:

I was attracted to an Omega Speedmaster Mark 2 put up by someone on this forum for sale. I responded to his sales and directed him to look at my own collection which he picked a few options with the intention to trade which I was opened to.
    We met at Jurong Point on the 18 Oct evening and we close the deal. I gave him my one year old Longine Legend Diver complete with box/paper and an unworn original strap that came with the watch because I have removed it. He gave me a top-up and I took his Omega.
    During the transaction it was agreed verbally that I told him he must give me a month’s guarantee for the watch.
    We both parted happy with the transaction. I wore it the next day to work.
    I had a lunch appointment that day and when I glance at the watch it shown about 11.35am but to my surprise it was already about 11.50 when I look at my phone watch.
    I immediately sms this seller and inform him about it and hope that its not a problem. He replied and said it shouldn’t be a problem and that I should just do a full wind. I did it and it took only about 4 turns to max it and I inform him about it and that I will monitor it and hope that it is not a existing problem that he is aware of and I am not. He replied and said no such thing and that the watch is working fine.
    On the 21 Oct Sunday - I wind the watch up and left it at home and went out until mid afternoon and I check on the watch again. This time it was running 10mins ahead. I immediately sms the seller again and inform him about it and told him that if this problem persisted I will have to return it to him or alternatively he can take the watch and fixed the problem and return it back to it. From thereon between exchanges of sms he kept denying there was any problem with the watch and at one point he even said that I must have magnetize it and rejected me flatly in all my proposal to him to resolved this matter.
    Here was a young 27 years old man in the teaching profession disowning all liability and responsibility. I even offered him to take back the watch and try it out for a week or two never mind that I take the risk of him running away with my watch as I don’t intend to hold back my Longine watch during this period but again he refuse the offer. All I asked of him is to fix the watch problem at his own cost and return it back to me and he refuses and insisted that the transaction is close.
    I flew off to KL on Sunday night and tried not to think about it but on my return on Tuesday night I wind it up and went to bed.
    The next morning it was running 30mins ahead. The more I look at the watch the more I get frustrated and was thinking how could a young man in a teaching profession who was supposed to impart right value to his young students behave in such a irresponsible manner.
    For me it was not about the money – but it was the feeling of being cheated that really get to me.
    I would like to hear from you folks your past similar experience and what are the options available to you and I.
    I still have all sms detailing the events and I am thinking of taking legal options to stop such irresponsible behavour from this young man and at the same time would like a cautious genuine buyers against this particular person. Whether he intended to cheat I cannot conclude but his persistent in denying such problem with the watch and refusing to take responsibility for it really get me piss off.

Generally what kind of “guarantee period” do we get or give during such a informal transaction unlike a retails transaction where some would generally give a few months to a year.

For the interest of buyers or even sellers – I think we should draw up a formal transaction document to safe guard the interest whther as a buyer or a seller.

Your advice is greatly appreciated and better still if you are in the legal profession able to give me some sound legal options available to me. Thank you all for reading my long winded story but I hope my sharing will be beneficial to those of you intended to buy and sell.
    Seriously I have bought a lot from Ebay and never once have such a problem of such magnitude and to think that it actually happened here at home just get me thinking that it is far more dangerous in our home soil than we think.

Have a great coming long weekend! Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jamy
    facebook.com/watches.jamy

Mine:
    1) Rolex Seadweller T-Series
    2) Seiko Sports Vintage
    3) Chopard Mille Miglia GMT Chrono
    4) Polaris Homage
    5) Heuer Carrera
    6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
    7) Baume n Mercier
    8) Helson Skindiver
    9) Hamilton Air Race & X-Copter
    10) Longines Chrono
    11) Meistersinger
    12) Omega Triple Date
    13) Tudor Big Block Full set
    14) Revue Theomann Alarm
    15) BALL EM2 World Time
    16) Zenith Triple D

Your advice needed

Greetings folks! I have troubled about a recent deal that didn’t quite turn out right and like to hear what you folks have to say from your past similar experience and what are the options open to me in such a situation. This is what actually happened:

I was attracted to an Omega Speedmaster Mark 2 put up by someone on this forum for sale. I responded to his sales and directed him to look at my own collection which he picked a few options with the intention to trade which I was opened to.
    We met at Jurong Point on the 18 Oct evening and we close the deal. I gave him my one year old Longine Legend Diver complete with box/paper and an unworn original strap that came with the watch because I have removed it. He gave me a top-up and I took his Omega.
    During the transaction it was agreed verbally that I told him he must give me a month’s guarantee for the watch.
    I had a lunch appointment that day and when I glance at the watch it shown about 11.35am but to my surprise it was already about 11.50 when I look at my phone watch.
    I immediately sms this seller and inform him about it and hope that its not a problem. He replied and said it shouldn’t be a problem and that I should just do a full wind. I did it and it took only about 4 turns to max it and I inform him about it and that I will monitor it and hope that it is not a existing problem that he is aware of and I am not. He replied and said no such thing and that the watch is working fine.
    On the 21 Oct Sunday - I wind the watch up and left it at home and went out until mid afternoon and I check on the watch again. This time it was running 10mins ahead. I immediately sms the seller again and inform him about it and told him that if this problem persisted I will have to return it to him or alternatively he can take the watch and fixed the problem and return it back to it. From thereon between exchanges of sms he kept denying there was any problem with the watch and at one point he even said that I must have magnetize it and rejected me flatly in all my proposal to him to resolved this matter.
    Here was a young 27 years old man in the teaching profession disowning all liability and responsibility. I even offered him to take back the watch and try it out for a week or two never mind that I take the risk of him running away with my watch as I don’t intend to hold back my Longine watch during this period but again he refuse the offer. All I asked of him is to fix the watch problem at his own cost and return it back to me and he refuses and insisted that the transaction is close.
    I flew off to KL on Sunday night and tried not to think about it but on my return on Tuesday night I wind it up and went to bed.
    The next morning it was running 30mins ahead. The more I look at the watch the more I get frustrated and was thinking how could a young man in a teaching profession who was supposed to impart right value to his young students behave in such a irresponsible manner.
    For me it was not about the money – but it was the feeling of being cheated that really get to me.
    I would like to hear from you folks your past similar experience and what are the options available to you and I.
    I still have all sms detailing the events and I am thinking of taking legal options to stop such irresponsible behavour from this young man and at the same time would like a cautious genuine buyers against this particular person. Whether he intended to cheat I cannot conclude but his persistent in denying such problem with the watch and refusing to take responsibility for it really get me piss off.

Generally what kind of “guarantee period” do we get or give during such a informal transaction unlike a retails transaction where some would generally give a few months to a year.

For the interest of buyers or even sellers – I think we should draw up a formal transaction document to safe guard the interest whther as a buyer or a seller.

Your advice is greatly appreciated and better still if you are in the legal profession able to give me some sound legal options available to me. Thank you all for reading my long winded story but I hope my sharing will be beneficial to those of you intended to buy and sell.
    Seriously I have bought a lot from Ebay and never once have such a problem of such magnitude and to think that it actually happened here at home just get me thinking that it is far more dangerous in our home soil than we think.

Best Regards
    Jamy

Mine:
    2) Seiko Sports Vintage
    4) Polaris Homage
    5) Heuer Carrera
    6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
    7) Baume n Mercier
    8) Helson Skindiver
    10) Longines Chrono
    11) Meistersinger
    12) Omega Triple Date
    14) Revue Theomann Alarm
    15) BALL EM2 World Time
    16) Zenith Triple D

Comment

Your advice needed

Best Regards
      Jamy

Mine:
      2) Seiko Sports Vintage
      4) Polaris Homage
      5) Heuer Carrera
      6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
      7) Baume n Mercier
      8) Helson Skindiver
      10) Longines Chrono
      11) Meistersinger
      12) Omega Triple Date
      14) Revue Theomann Alarm
      15) BALL EM2 World Time
      16) Zenith Triple D

Comment

Your advice needed

Best Regards
        Jamy

Mine:
        2) Seiko Sports Vintage
        4) Polaris Homage
        5) Heuer Carrera
        6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
        7) Baume n Mercier
        8) Helson Skindiver
        10) Longines Chrono
        11) Meistersinger
        12) Omega Triple Date
        14) Revue Theomann Alarm
        15) BALL EM2 World Time
        16) Zenith Triple D

Comment

Jamy

Sorry to hear that but person to person trade will have their kind of woes like what you mentioned. Mechanical watches with timing issues like that surely have to be serviced and regulated. I suggest you tell the young man to get the watch serviced for you and if possible a third party should come in to avoid any conflicts and fights.

Any good suggestions, mods?

Comment

Sad to hear your plight bro. But sad to say, there is nothing much you can do unless you have any black and white document or even sms from him stating that the watch is working perfectly fine according to a certain specification in which now it has failed to adhere to. Otherwise there is no proof or evidence to take legal action against him. I agree that a transaction agreement should be set up to protect yourself. Now i guess the most you can do is to give him a negative feedback.
            Rolex Submariner 168000
            Rolex Submariner 16610
            Omega Sea Master 2531800

Comment

care to share his nick or ID so that we can be careful of him should we need to deal with him in future.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              A Crown for Every Achievement
              Life is Nothing Without Style

Comment

You have some magnet that is placed near the watch?
                You should send it to service if the time is not right.
                Maybe you can discuss with the seller for him to pay for the service if the service centre deems the watchis faulty.
                Discuss about it with your seller and have a win win situation.

Comment

Did you place the watch near any electronical appliance? It sounds to me that it may be magnetized. If it's magnetized, then a trip to the service centre is needed. Otherwise, i think your request is reasonable to let him take the watch back to sort out the issues. I empathize with you in this situation. As a seller, one's credibility is important. I also suggest you give him a negative credit rating in his profile if he's unwilling to even help out.
                  I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                  A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                  Audemars Piguet ROO
                  Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                  De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                  Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                  Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                  Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                  IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                  Panerai 270
                  Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                  Rolex 116610LV
                  Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Did you place the watch near any electronical appliance? It sounds to me that it may be magnetized. If it's magnetized, then a trip to the service centre is needed. Otherwise, i think your request is reasonable to let him take the watch back to sort out the issues. I empathize with you in this situation. As a seller, one's credibility is important. I also suggest you give him a negative credit rating in his profile if he's unwilling to even help out.

Perhaps you can suggest for both of you to make a trip to the service centre to get a professional opinion and split the cost if any? It's an old watch hence it's pretty much about time to send it for servicing just to have a peace of mind?
                    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                    Audemars Piguet ROO
                    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                    Panerai 270
                    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                    Rolex 116610LV
                    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Usually old watches tend to run slow,cause old watches like old man.

Even after complete overhaul,don't expect it perform like new.

Your problem is very common on all buy & sell forum.

If I were you,I close the case,cause word again word.

In future you might consider buying from per-own shop as they give receipt & 1 years Warrantly?

Just my 2 cts.

Comment

Hi Jamy bro, I feel your pain.
                        I had similar experience with some sellers here too. Some literally asked me to F.O if I had problems with the watch after they sold you. One guy promised to change the dubious crystal but never kept his word( he is still selling in the forum). One guy set the deal but backed out without responding. I tell you, Kharma will come bro. No fret.

In your case, if you don't want to name the sucker here, then my suggestion is let it go, and go regulate your watch. Some people here have no integrity and it is fruitless to ask them to have some suddenly. It's their nature to cheat and run. They can run once, but they cannot run forever. You just hope they never sell another watch in this forum again.

For a few hundred bucks, they are willing to lose potential buyers and friends. What can you do?

Take this as a lesson and have a b/w drawn up in future transactions and take them to court if this ever happens again. We are not fools, just trying to be nice.

Comment

It's quite an unfortunate case for you. It's indeed surprised that a education professional has such poor integrity and dishonesty.

I think all you could do is to continue get hold of him or threaten to bring up the case to police to see whether he would give way. But I think police may not bother this case as it's purely personal and individual. Unless you can prove he shows intention to cheat you, but it's quite tough as you had taken the watch back. He could accuse you damaged it yourself, like what he had said. Moreover if he has the intention to cheat you, he would surely hide or avoid your calls etc.

I did have similar case like you many years ago, though it's watches as watches are expensive and personal to me. I also exchanged my item with this guy. He also promised me many things but when I realized something wrong, he avoided my calls. I also felt frustrated and cheated but he didn't answer my calls. In the end, I learnt to accept the fact and be more wise and careful.

As for you, hope you could get back what he's supposed to answer you. Quite disgusted to see such irresponsible people, only know how to take advantage of others. Good luck.

Comment

repost here...

Hi Jamy bro, I feel your pain.
                            I had similar experience with some sellers here too. Some literally asked me to F.O if I had problems with the watch after they sold you. One guy promised to change the dubious crystal but never kept his word( he is still selling in the forum). One guy set the deal but backed out without responding. I tell you, Kharma will come bro. No fret.

In your case, if you don't want to name the sucker here, then my suggestion is let it go, and go regulate your watch. Some people here have no integrity and it is fruitless to ask them to have some suddenly. It's their nature to cheat and run. They can run once, but they cannot run forever. You just hope they never sell another watch in this forum again.

For a few hundred bucks, they are willing to lose potential buyers and friends. What can you do?

Take this as a lesson and have a b/w drawn up in future transactions and take them to court if this ever happens again. We are not fools, just trying to be nice.

Comment

Bro,

Thanks for the advise.. Felt angry not because of the money but because here was a guy who suppose to be in the teaching profession and impart good value to his charges and yet he is so responsible. Whether he intend to cheat I dont know but I am very sure he knew of the problem of his watch which he so eager to trade it for my one year old Longine Diver. Be warn if you ever come across someone here on this forum who want to sell or buy or trade..He goes by the name "crippy" and go by the name "paul Lim" whether this is his real name I dont know for sure. But he lives in Tampines and teaches in a secondary school.
                              We who are genuine buyer/seller trying to do a honorable transaction will be able to sleep well but for people who went out knowingly with bad intention will one day suffer the same fate either they themselves will or their love ones. I cant believe that my offer for him to resolve the matter was turn down flatly. I even offer for him to take back his watch and wear it for a week and see for himself but he refuses. I even offer him to service it at his own cost and return to me after that - he also refuses. He simply forgotten his word of guarantee he given to me and now he can say guarantee comes with terms. I am sure his kids will learn what is integrity.honesty from him. I am weighing my options now --- legally to stop such irresponsible people from prowling the net for innocent victim like us. Although I have never sold/buy or trade with anyone on this forum until now but I have already met some of these people and they can testify for my openess to reveal where to buy certain watches when mine prices doesnt quite meet their expectation. For me while it is nice to sell my watches - it is not about the transaction but its about making good friends some of whom I still kept in touch and have no problem informing them of watches I have seen which they were looking for. This experience really put a dent in my faith on trusting people... You can see my profile -- I'm not even afraid to show my face to be transparent - so people can see who they are dealing with. Thanks for your piece of valuable advise. Do keep in touch.

Mine:
                              2) Seiko Sports Vintage
                              4) Polaris Homage
                              5) Heuer Carrera
                              6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
                              7) Baume n Mercier
                              8) Helson Skindiver
                              10) Longines Chrono