• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work as Long as you Can.....

The Straits Times
    Jan 8, 2009
    Work as long as you can
    PM Lee urged older Singaporeans to stay active and contribute to workforce and community.

CONTINUE working for as along as you can.

This is the advice from Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong to older and retired Singaporeans, who he said should stay active and engaged as they can still contribute much to the workforce and community.

But to support older workers, many social attitudes and institutional structures established when life expectancies were shorter and Singapore's population was younger will have to change, said Mr Lee, pointing out that by 2030, one-fifth of the population will be 65 years and older.

This is nearly one million people, three times the number today.

Mr Lee cited the wage structures and employment terms as examples which need to be updated.

Speaking at a conference on reinventing retirement on Thursday morning, PM Lee urged all parties to play their roles in changing outdated status quo.

'Employers prefer to hire younger workers who cost them less under a seniority-based wage system, making it harder for older workers to find and keep jobs,' he noted.

'This was reasonable when life expectancy was in the 60s, but it is not sustainable with expectancy around 80 today, and still going up.'

Urging employers to appreciate older workers, Mr Lee said they could be a valuable resource at the workplace, given their years of experience, wisdom and loyalty.

To the older workers, he said they must be prepared to work longer and be ready to adjust to different responsibilities, and possibly lighter work and less pay, which the PM said 'is understandably harder to accept.'

Family attitudes will have to change, too. For example, older women can work as room attendants but hotels have reported that these women tend to drop out from the training programmes, often under pressure from their children who are against their parents doing such chores.

Hotels have to hire foreign workers to fill these vacancies.

'This is a delicate matter of face and status,' said Mr Lee.

'The job of hotel attendant may be a humble one, but it is honourable employment, and if one can do it conscientiously and competently, there is no reason for the family to feel ashamed, or for society to look down on attendants or their families.'

'We should not discourage anyone from taking on such jobs. To do so would limit his options to be active, engaged and to earn an income.'

To encourage the older Singaporeans to continue working, he said the Government is updating the employment laws and structures.

But Mr Lee cautioned that 'we cannot solve the problem at the stroke of a pen by legislation.'

He said only six out of every 10 men are still working after 62, which is the official retirement age here. There are even fewer women who work till 62, most having dropped out earlier to raise their families.

'Simply raising the retirement age will not magically keep older workers employed longer,' said PM Lee.

'Hence in Singapore we have gone for a more flexible and practical approach, similar to what Japan has done. We are legislating not to further delay the retirement age, but to require employers to offer re-employment to workers at 62 for another three years until 65, though not necessarily in the same job or at the same pay.'

This change will be supported by other measures.

The Government has also made changes to the wage structures so that older workers would not be disadvantaged. For example, workers beyond age 50 pay lower CPF contribution rates, to lighten the cost of employing them, and mitigate the effect of seniority-based wages.

The Workfare Income Supplement is also weighted in favour of older workers, said the PM.

In his address, Mr Lee also touched on efforts to lure older women back to the workforce and activities to help senior citizens lead full and active lives, as well as various provisions to ensure the elderly are financially secure for their old age.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

easier said than done. not everyone got a good life, can get paid 7 figure salary + sit there advising people
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

like that then grament will rise the age to withdraw CPF.. to ?? maybe 70...

Comment

this is Singapore,most average income citizens have to work till....old age.Remember the amt $$$ for one to retired comfortably?

what abt in Australia?

Comment

This if implemented totally can up e age for CPF to 75?? hmm..then must get e annuity remember? so tat means ur money u can't touch till age 80 lor
          "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

Originally posted by Nooch View Post
            This if implemented totally can up e age for CPF to 75?? hmm..then must get e annuity remember? so tat means ur money u can't touch till age 80 lor
            75?!i dun even know if i live that long...did you noticed nowadays if you read the last few pages of the straits times you see averagely 60+ or maybe younger already reported to...haiz.

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
              this is Singapore,most average income citizens have to work till....old age.Remember the amt $$$ for one to retired comfortably?

what abt in Australia?
              older workers are paid so little and lesser benefits..i feel that they're so exploited...and yet employers still refuse/hesitate to hire them....harsh reality
              I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
              A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
              Audemars Piguet ROO
              Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
              De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
              Habring2 Pilot Time Date
              Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
              Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
              IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
              Panerai 270
              Patek Philippe 5711/1a
              Rolex 116610LV
              Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

well my company has three employees who are 60 and above!!!
                One is my Dad...
                The other is my Mum..
                And an Uncle who does packing for us for 4 years who just turned 60 last yr. Ü
                He generally does those light jobs but super mundane type. But he is really dependable.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                - GMT II
                - GMT IIc TT
                - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                - U1
                - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

if you like your job i suppose it will not be much of a problem working til old....lol..passion is the key word here....if no passion how much money oso no use de....
                  Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                    if you like your job i suppose it will not be much of a problem working til old....lol..passion is the key word here....if no passion how much money oso no use de....
                    i like what you said

Comment

thanks for the endorsement...cheers...juz stating my own 0.002 cent of opinions...

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post

what abt in Australia?
                        aussie work until 55 or 65. but 65 then can withdrawl cpf to the best of my knowledge.
                        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                        Blue 6694
                        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                          ..passion is the key word here....if no passion how much money oso no use de....
                          Agree with you totally. Passion is the key. Just like buying watches, you must have a passion for them.

Comment

yr of the ox, so be prepared to work like a freaking cow.

age of cpf withdrawal also keep amending north ...62...65..what's next? 70?

i seriously wonder if the policymakers think our country is some magical kingdom where pple can live up to a few hundred yrs old.

hope springs eternal perhaps? crap...
                            Remnants of my irresponsibility:
                            "Foreign affections"
                            1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
                            2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
                            3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
                            4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
                            What's NEXT?

Comment

for me i dun mind working in my current industry til i 'retired' to the sky...as long i am happy and healthy...hehehe

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X