Nadal’s S$480,000 watch stolen while he was winning title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nadal’s S$480,000 watch stolen while he was winning title

When Rafael Nadal stormed to the French Open crown on Monday, he should have been enjoying one of the sweetest days of his life. Not only had he just won a record seventh title at Roland Garros, but in doing so he also ended a run of three consecutive Grand Slam final defeats at the hands of arch-rival Novak Djokovic.

Yet even for megastars, life has a way of kicking you in the teeth when you least expect it: while the Mallorcan was finishing off his rain-delayed match, a thief was busy in his hotel room stealing his watch.

A watch, furthermore, that was worth an incredible £241,000 (S$480,000) - that is £14,000 more than the average house costs in the UK.

The one-off Richard Mille timepiece (similar to the one pictured above) had been lent to Nadal for the duration of the tournament - presumably so that the 11-times Grand Slam champ could give the firm a bit of free publicity.

Nadal left it in his luxury hotel in Paris's swanky eighth arondissement, where the temptation proved too much.

The tennis player's parents discovered the theft on Tuesday, and with no sign of a forced entry police quickly decided it was an inside job. That hunch proved correct, with magnetic key card records leading them to a light-fingered barman. Under questioning the culprit cracked and led detectives to the spot beside a railway track where he'd hidden it.

No harm done, then - and the 26-year-old insists he won't start staying elsewhere.

"The French police did a good job," Nadal said.

"I have nothing (no grudge) to hold against the hotel. They have always treated me well when I have stayed there over the past eight years and I will come back next year."

Had the watch remained stolen, it wouldn't have hit Nadal too hard in the pocket - he won a cool £1.03 million for claiming the French.

*article extracted from Yahoo!UK Sports/Eurosport
    Don't trust anyone too much, even your own shadow leave you when you are in darkness.

saw that but luckily he got it back...
    累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

The barman also bit funny, did he seriously think it was going to be that easy?
      My Tumblr
      -------------------
      http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

Strange. Firstly, he wears the watch while playing. Richard mille wanted to prove that the tourby sports model they made fir nadal can work under sporting conditions. Secondly, nadal's parents are divorced. I don't think yet will e sharing the same room.
        I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
        http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

Comment

I thought there are pics of nadal wearing a RM watch during the match. So he got extra RM watch. But it sort of stupid to steal the watch as most are limited edition and hard to dispose.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, nadal was wearing his rm for the two days that he played the final against djokovic. I watched the entire match right till nole committed suicide with that double fault.
            I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
            http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

Comment

Temptation is the root to all evils....hahaha. Good thing he got the watch back:-)

Cheers
              Don't worry, be happy

Comment

Actually is a match of RM vs AP lah. Novak figured out that AP gave him cheap toy compare to what RM gave to nadal so he keilong with RM to lose the match and let RM have some publicity. At the same time sent someone to hijack nadal other RM. killing two birds with one stone lah.

(PS: narrative are pure fiction and not related to really life circumstances...)
                sigpic

Comment

such high profile watch cannot sell one.

the guy just didnt think straight before selling.
                  Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

This incident and all the news reporting is very good publicity for RIchard Mille, I bet some of us, watch lover will go away with a deep impression of this incident now. Hopefully the barman get pay.....if not he is damn stupid......lol

Comment

he probably thought it was a casio mah. so light somemore.
                      swift1.0/sunny1.6/sonata2.0/156JTS/Brera3.2V6/MINI cooper S cabrio/Grand Picasso/S300L

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X