the end of an era...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the end of an era...

over the last 10 or so years, i have amassed a collection of watches that i enjoy. this month marks the end (?) of my journey with watches...

i promised my wife many many many years ago that on her 30th birthday, i will stop spending so much time with watches. and her birthday is near the end of this month.

what does this mean? no more research on watches. no more flying overseas just to pick up or trade a watch. no moer sending and receiving watches to/fro overseas... no more buying "few hundred dollar parts" which will combine to cost more than a whole watch. no more surfing for whole watches on sale either...

i will complete my master's next year so this year needs to be spent on studies and work (tied together).

on the horizon might be our first child... we're still not sure (mostly me), but we'll let nature take it's course.

i will probably return to my other hobbies of riding and tinkering with motorcycles and scuba diving. my unspent money can now allow me to go to the track and workshop more often with my car.

although this amazing horology hobby has taken up a lot of my time, this is a bitter sweet event for me.

what have i learned? lots. but to sum it up:

the more i know, the more i don't know. the more i know, the more i want to know. sometimes, it's best that i don't know... and the chase will never end unless you're disciplined.

for the rest of you just starting out in this addictive "hobby": it's not too late to turn back from this black hole! flee while you still can...

for those who cannot: buy rolex watches with interesting dials and under valued precious metal models. IMO they will pay off in future.

for the hard core collectors: yes, you should invest in another bigger safe deposit box because the giant safe at home and your "smaller" SD box is not good enough to keep your watches and parts and papers in!

maybe i will return to this hobby at a later time when i have more discipline in my life... or maybe i won't. who knows what the future will bring.

taxico
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

For someone as knowledgeable as you are, it's a pity. From what I see, it's simply a case of discipline in how you manage the (watch)hobby. You need not give it up totally. Let's hope this is not the end of the road for you, as much as for the many of us, in horology, that is.

I wish you best of luck in whatever you are going to embark on and may you succeed in whatever good you are doing.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

first of all congratulations on reaching the end of this journey of studying. as i have always mentioned, you will get to your destination, it is the journey that shapes you and enrich you.

scuba diving may not be cheap either. buying regulators, BCDs, learning new techniques - rebreathers, nitrox, etc. scuba diving is equally addictively. in my first 2 years of diving, i was practically diving almost every other weekend, logging in close to 100 dives within 24 months. going to 6 of the top 10 sites back in the 90s. the only regret, missing out on a great white expedition.

in an event if you should want to release some of your treasured collections, can i have the first right of refusal?

you may have considered to slow down/ putting a halt in watch collecting, but sg-roc will always welcome you to post your experiences and sharing them.

Originally posted by taxico View Post

i will complete my master's next year so this year needs to be spent on studies and work (tied together).

on the horizon might be our first child... we're still not sure (mostly me), but we'll let nature take it's course.

i will probably return to my other hobbies of riding and tinkering with motorcycles and scuba diving. my unspent money can now allow me to go to the track and workshop more often with my car.

although this amazing horology hobby has taken up a lot of my time, this is a bitter sweet event for me.

the more i know, the more i don't know. the more i know, the more i want to know. sometimes, it's best that i don't know... and the chase will never end unless you're disciplined.

for the rest of you just starting out in this addictive "hobby": it's not too late to turn back from this black hole! flee while you still can...

for those who cannot: buy rolex watches with interesting dials and under valued precious metal models. IMO they will pay off in future.

for the hard core collectors: yes, you should invest in another bigger safe deposit box because the giant safe at home and your "smaller" SD box is not good enough to keep your watches and parts and papers in!

maybe i will return to this hobby at a later time when i have more discipline in my life... or maybe i won't. who knows what the future will bring.

taxico
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

End of buying/collecting more watches does not mean you have to stop reading and sharing your thoughts about watches on the forums. You just have to be disciplined and not spend too much time in order to keep your promise.

Hope to "see" you around still, or return some day.
        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Watch collection is not just a hobby. It's an interesting, meaningful and investing event. We learn to appreciate and understand each watch and its brand true value. We learn how a delicate mechanism that controls our life. And if it turns out well, we can make a hefty good investment. Watch collectors see watches in various different perspectives. It tells more than time. It also turns out to be my family heirloom!

Do hope to see you back into this hobby.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Good luck in your new hobbies, work and studies.

Refer to your advices "for those who cannot: buy rolex watches with interesting dials and under valued precious metal models."

Can give some examples? precious metal models are always priced much higher then ss.

Comment

Common man never say never. If you are preparing for baby arrival, you can download the app baby center. There tons of info inside and can help you keep track of things. Cheers.
              sigpic

Comment

Pity to see a knowledgeable watch enthusiast abandon the hobby.

I believe many would like you to go slow, pause but not out.
                Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Sounds like a drama to me.... as the Terminator once said "I'll be back" ...so will Taxico
                  ROLEX.

Comment

sounds more like a long journey he has been walking...
                    a man with great knowledge when "retire" is of course a sad thing, but nothing really lasts forever -- we always have to say our good-byes.

that said, thanks taxico for sharing, one of the particular phrase you wrote I think applies not just in the hobby of watch collecting and horology, but also in life's pursuits in general --

VERY TRUE. always keep an open mind when sharing and do not lose your ultimate end direction / who you are.

wishing you all the best and enjoy the new hobbies to come.
                    [I][COLOR="navy"]"You don't realize how strong a person really is until you see them at their weakest moment." - Unknown[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

best wishes for the future.. im starting out and certainly i believe a good journey it will be

Comment

over the last 10 or so years, i have amassed a collection of watches that i enjoy. this month marks the end (?) of my journey with watches...

i promised my wife many many many years ago that on her 30th birthday, i will stop spending so much time with watches. and her birthday is near the end of this month.

what does this mean? no more research on watches. no more flying overseas just to pick up or trade a watch. no moer sending and receiving watches to/fro overseas... no more buying "few hundred dollar parts" which will combine to cost more than a whole watch. no more surfing for whole watches on sale either...

taxico

Really? your missus would rather you play with motorbikes than watches?

Comment

Well, best 2 b able 2 juggle work, studies, family & hobbies altogether, but easier said than done i guess? Anyway best wishes 2 u & do hope u can drop by the forum here again. Cheers mate!

Rolex owner since 2010
                          Previously owned:
                          Explorer II(216570) black dial AN serial
                          GMT-Master II(116710LN) AN serial
                          Current collection:
                          Datejust 36(116234) V serial
                          GMT-Master II(116713LN) AN serial
                          Upcoming/Wishlist:
                          "Hulk" green sub(116610LV)

Comment

taxico
                            congrats on the masters! and assuming that it's been agreed, hope you get your first child soon too.
                            just not too sure if it is going to so simple to just walk away from this black hole hobby of ours....
                            anyway, all the best in your future undertakings!
                            "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                            three times is enemy action and
                            over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                            ."

Comment

There are times that I said it's the end....but more often than not...it isn't.

I will see you back soon

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X