the problem with black-coated watches - but we love them still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the problem with black-coated watches - but we love them still

Some of us really admire/adore/love black-looking watches, either from the case to the dial or the crystal.

But most of us worry that the black PVD or Ion-plating coat will peel off after a while ( a common complaint and experience we all share).

I am sure most of you have also heard of DLC coated watches.. It is an extremely hard coating and with a Vickers hardness of about 4000+, though it really depends on to thelevel of coating.

Magrette had a good summary write up and comparison of DLC technology.

If applied well, DLC coated watches really is virtually scratch-proof except by diamond - being the world's known hardest material. DLC also has a low coefficient of friction, which means it is very slick like our Teflon non-stick pans.

Some of the more famous brands with DLC coated watches :

Rolex Milgauss DLC

Rolex Sea Dweller Deep Sea

Magrette Regattare, Oris BC4 and of course, Linde Werdelin Hard Black / Oktopus

okay you get where I am coming from..

More and more brands are employing DLC coating on their watches, but most of these DLC coated watches with Swiss movement cost a bomb!

Watchwerkz is now proud to work with a group of WOSTEP-highly trained watchmakers from different companies in Le Locle, Switzerland- who wants to bring the joy of the independent watch making experience to the man on the street while at the same time preserving the traditional watch making techniques.

These watchmakers are frustrated with developments in the watch making industry, especially its obsession with mass produced luxury and are truly dedicated passionate highly skilled watchmakers. These guys are collectively known as EHF Horlogére.

NOTE : we would like to reiterate that watch assemblers ARE NOT watchmakers.

With them, I also hope to share with everyone here more about the art of watchmaking and what goes into completing a watch, whether it be quartz, mechanical or automatic.

So back to "blackened" watches.

With DLC coated watches, it is a gift to most of us black watch lovers as we now worry less about scratches made on our black watches. Yet prices remain high for watches with good movement.

For a special pre-launch, EHF has painstakingly, with almost no budget left for any marketing (as all profits made really goes back into production), managed to release 3 models.

MK 0 , MK 1 and Classic.

MK1 as shown above -- is the first to be made. We use a polished DLC black version for this case. But the true workmanship comes in the hand-touched finish of the manual movement.

Specs of movement:

Fully mechanical Swiss Made ETA 6498-1 ::
    Individual HAND-bevelling added to barrel, gear train and balance bridges;
    Black rhodium plating for barrel, gear train and balance bridges;
    Côtes de Genève finishing on bridges; perlage on main plate;
    Snail décor by hand on ratchet and crown wheel,
    Polished bezel;
    Blue screws;
    Hairspring re-regulated and re-timed. (this is a skill that not all watch manufacturs and micro brands will do as it is just too time consuming, not to mention how difficult it is)

We also have a couple of demonstrator pieces with a movement with straight-grain finish by hand. Only 2 pieces are ever available. Apparently, to my surprise, straight grain finish takes a lot more effort and time! And I thought the cotes de geneve finish was nicer to look at ! :P

Because EHF and myself really value timepieces handmade with the heart and passion, and not looking to earn quick bucks, we also have a couple of very good rubber straps in various colors to choose from. These rubber straps are made in Italy, and only by seeing / feeling it, one can tell the significant difference.

We plan to release this in Q3 of this year with matte black DLC coated watches, though I must say that polished DLC really grows on me as time passes by.

Feel free to share your thoughts and comments as "EHF elves", as we call them, are more than happy to hear!

For more information, you may read this link.
    [I][COLOR="navy"]"You don't realize how strong a person really is until you see them at their weakest moment." - Unknown[/COLOR][/I]

As you are the distributor here in SG for this brand, how much are they..... care to share your prices with fellow bro's ?

Thx.
    ROLEX.

Comment

Hi Dfive

yes sure. sorry didn't put the prices up earlier.

For pre-launch of MK ONE as you see above , the price is S$1688 nett comes with 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects (*but we will probably almost guarantee nothing goes wrong excluding user fault, otherwise I will give them #$^#$%. haha)

The movements available are straight-grain or the black rhodium finish movement. (right now straight grain is immediately available. for black rhodium, will take some time as the watchmaker will have to do it from scratch again.)

For now, we have one rubber strap (colors on first come first serve basis) and one made-in-europe buffalo strap to match.
      For the box, we are using bro-ten10's box as there wasn't any budget for mass produced boxes.

There will also be a personally signed thank-you letter sent to your home address. This is to show the deepest appreciation from the EHF elves.

Official launch price for MK ONE will start at S$2500.

BTW, customization are also available (from change of lume color, engraving, change of material plating , sandblasting etc)

For MK Zero, which is a smaller version with titanium-coated 42mm case, pre-launch price now is S$1450. Official launch price starts at S$1800.
      I have one demonstrator piece available in the showroom office now for viewing/purchase.

MK Zero With grey rubber strap

MK Zero With red rubber strap

do welcome all feedbacks.

Thank you.
      [I][COLOR="navy"]"You don't realize how strong a person really is until you see them at their weakest moment." - Unknown[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by relac88
        frankly i think pvd is ugly
        but that's just me
        haha... sure I unstd, just like some of the ladies find diamond crusted watches are ugly and some find rose gold ugly.

though here we are talking more about DLC , not really the usual PVD we see.

anyway any reason why you dont like PVD? too smooth? not smooth?
        suppose all your watches are solid, uncoated steel/metal ?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
        Working...
        X