Crap advice on Omega > vs. Rolex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crap advice on Omega > vs. Rolex

Went in to an Omega Boutique today.... was hilarious !!!

Was looking Omega Aqua Terra Women's Co-axial S/S 150m perhaps as a gift for the girl... she likes it.

Anyways.... I was "asking" many questions on the watch, I prob know more on Omega than 80% of the staff who sell the brand.

So anyways some comments from the lady... what you think ?

- Omega movements are much much better than Rolex.
    - Normal movements like Rolex need servicing every 6-8 years, the co-axial will need servicing every 8-10 years, this is why we make the best watches.
    - We also have Silicone escapement, this is good for sports. "why I asked" oh cause the Silicone is good as it does not get affected by magnetism as its anti-magnetic. (errrr... in sports? )
    - The co-axial movement is the best, and better than big expensive brands, "I asked why" oh just because it is and we have the co-axial movement and the silicone parts.
    - our dials are more detailed than Rolex, almost like 3D, and our markers and hands are gold, they are actually 18kt gold.
    - Our prices are cheaper than Rolex yet the movement is better.
    - The markers also glow this is good for sports also. ?
    - We really are good value compared to the bigger brands.
    - It will last her for many generations and is an investment really, and is a classic design also.
    - are you a tourist cause you can get your tax back, good to do cause there will be a omega price rise in May every year, so you will save more if you get it now.

Well boy oh boy after all that I was ready to throw out my crappy Rolex's.... hahahaha

Biggest load of nonsense ever !
    ROLEX.

interesting why the sales staff will ask if you are a tourist. no sales staff ever ask me that.....

Originally posted by Dfive View Post
    - are you a tourist cause you can get your tax back, good to do cause there will be a omega price rise in May every year, so you will save more if you get it now.
    [/COLOR]

Biggest load of nonsense ever !
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

So much mumbo jumbo to explain why Omega > Rolex....
      I can explain why Rolex > Omega in one sentence...

"Rolex has never produced a limited edition anything to tickle money out of unknowing buyers unlike Omega who makes 10k worldwide limited editions."
      My Tumblr
      -------------------
      http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by relac88
        i have great respect for omega - more so after they are developing and manufacturing their in house co-axial movement
        they are modifying the daniels escapement which they bought and rebranded, with newer parts/materials.

anybody can create their own movement (and they do), it's a matter of whether a company (or a group of companies) can afford the tooling required to manufacture it cost effectively. swatch can.

prior to the 2500/BCD, seamasters were ETA-based. rolex had been using their (unused in other brands) own movements for some time prior.

if both seamaster and submariner are of equal price, guess which watch most people would pick? the same applied in 1992 and still does, in 2012. except in 2012, there are more watches contending (eg, JLC NS Diver)...

i have respect for omega because of their heritage and older movements (5xx were wonderful!) and their philosophy when it comes to repairing vintage pieces.

the daniels escapement, IMO, is still unproven. only time will tell. the silicium/silicon escapement is a step forward, and a step taken by many companies - this is in part due to technology and manufacturing processes possible today.

so... which is better? parachrom or silicium? (remember that rolex was not alone in the creation process of "parachrom")
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I do respect Omega watches. In fact I bought Omega Constellation "My Choice" for my wife's first luxury watch.

Since you walked into Omega boutique, they surely say good things for Omega. "卖花说花香", "the flower shop owner comments good about his flower" in English. Same if you walk into any boutique, they sure compliment their own brand. Though I never own Omega, they do have good quality models. But in my opinion, their grade is still lower than Rolex. In terms of value, movements, design, functionality and reputation, I think Rolex is better. After I own my first Rolex, I really feel justified why the price is so steep. The quality is really superb. And most important, Rolex watches' values are quite highly maintained.

Comment

Totally agreed. Actually in the past few years, alot of brands had pretty decent prices. Like Rolex, IWC and even Rolex. But last few years I noticed the price increased changed alot, maybe also due to new models range. For instance, a new Breitling or Rolex is now easily close to $10k. I think Omega or Tag Heuer are still continuing being good starter brands.

Originally posted by relac88
            but for the price omega is asking, i'd say omega is a pretty good brand to start

Comment

Frankly saying, I agree that silicon is better, it main purpose of use was to eliminate use of lubricant, effect of temp on metal and surrounding magnetism. And Rolex regular movement has been around for ages with little changes. It just serve the basic needs of telling you hrs, mins, sec and day /date. Whereas the co-axial can add chrono module and other extra function. I believe you cant do that for Rolex base movement( let exclude the new skydeweller here and i believe it a complete new movement but i may be wrong.) That being say, some say that co-axial serves no purpose in term of accuracy and it just for looking good... BTW, I guess if you walk into a rolex boutique, you get the same crap from them about their watch when compare to other brands.
              sigpic

Comment

nowadays watches very expensive...must faster grab them before price increase hahaha

Comment

the fact that the coaxial movement beats at a slower speed than the normal movements says to me its NOT proven to be better.

IF Omega do this movement at the normal beat speed of 28,000 and offers the SAME warranty... I would buy into it.

Really if a lower beat speed = longer warranty / claimed service interval / ours is better..... to me it's marketing b###S##t that is not being told to the consumer honestly.

e.g. - If my car engine runs at 2100rpm and yours runs at 2800rpm... whats the effect ?
                  ROLEX.

Comment

Originally posted by Dfive View Post
                    the fact that the coaxial movement beats at a slower speed than the normal movements says to me its NOT proven to be better.

IF Omega do this movement at the normal beat speed of 28,000 and offers the SAME warranty... I would buy into it.

Really if a lower beat speed = longer warranty / claimed service interval / ours is better..... to me it's marketing b###S##t that is not being told to the consumer honestly.

e.g. - If my car engine runs at 2100rpm and yours runs at 2800rpm... whats the effect ?
                    if you're talking about idling speed then i reckon both cars need to be sent back t the workshop. hahaha!
                    I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
                    http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

Comment

Sounds like going for final exam... At the end of everypoint that the sales staff make, we must make a mental tick of True or False...

- Omega movements are much much better than Rolex. ----FALSE
                      - Normal movements like Rolex need servicing every 6-8 years, the co-axial will need servicing every 8-10 years, this is why we make the best watches. ----FALSE
                      - are you a tourist cause you can get your tax back, good to do cause there will be a omega price rise in May every year, so you will save more if you get it now. ----TRUE

LOL...

Comment

With silicon you do need less servicing as it got less friction & wear and tear coefficient compare to most metal. So nothing wrong with that comparison. Rolex movement good? I guess it just same as the ETA, mass produced, cheap and reliable. only that Rolex "kertok" us and selling it at a ripoff!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iceheller View Post
                          With silicon you do need less servicing as it got less friction & wear and tear coefficient compare to most metal. So nothing wrong with that comparison. Rolex movement good? I guess it just same as the ETA, mass produced, cheap and reliable. only that Rolex "kertok" us and selling it at a ripoff!!!
                          So ture..fully agree with you.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X