Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise for starter

Hi guys!

I have been following these "uptas" watches for awhile and feel that it is time for me to take the punge into the market.

Have the following questions in mind and hope that some experts can guide me thru.

1) Which brand should I consider say with a budget of 10K?
    2) Should I go for pre-own or brand new?

With regards to question 1, personally I prefer IWC, however, most of my friends are teilling me that Rolex are better and so called worth more money...

That why I am having a hard time now trying to decide which one to get...

Thank in advance!

What's "uptas"?

IMO, both Rolex and IWC are good brands. To me, Rolex watches are always highly sought after, so it is able to retain its values, though don't expect to make a quick profit over a few months or years. IWC, on the other hand has some very good models, such as Portuguese, Pilot. It's one of the few brands that has complete models like perpetual calendar, minute repeaters or grand complication.

With a 10k budget, you should be able to find some good SS Rolex sports models, like Sub or GMT; or SS IWC models like Portuguese chronos etc. Most importantly, do try out the watches on your wrist, see which one smiles to you. Brand new is usually better as you don't need to pay extra verification fees, though you may save a few hundreds if get a good bargain. But preowned watches must be checked thoroughly for its conditions. Brand new watches also give you a piece of mind. Remember to trust the watches and not the owner.

Hope you find my opinions useful, and hope to see your new watch in future!

Comment

I think TS means "ATAS" in Malay...

My 0.02 cents worth of advice to TS, buy the one you really like. If not, you will come back to it one day.

Comment

Thanks for the advise!

But I simply cannot decide what brand to buy.... My heart is telling me IWC, my mind is saying Rolex... hahaha!!

So to say, pre-own watch carrys more risk? Even if i were to buy from shop?

Comment

Originally posted by jason1202 View Post
          Thanks for the advise!

But I simply cannot decide what brand to buy.... My heart is telling me IWC, my mind is saying Rolex... hahaha!!

So to say, pre-own watch carrys more risk? Even if i were to buy from shop?
          Bro,

With a budget of $10K, i would suggest you to invest in a Rolex GMT SS for a start off as no matter how many watches you owned,you must have a Rolex in your collection to consider complete as I believe it is a passport/entry to your watch collecting adventure,

You can consider getting IWC after you got your passport yeah! If you free, you can also try both on your wrist and see who is more attractive to your eyes before making the decision,

The best advise is still follow your heart & mind!

Cheers!

Comment

If you don't mind preowned, stretch your budget by another 1k-2k and get both IWC & Rolex.

10K to 12K can get you a preowned IWC pilot chrono/port chrono/aquatimer series + a rolex sport older series such as Exp2/Sub/GMT II. 10K would be enough for this combi depending on which models you go for.

If you want a IWC with in-house movement or the new Rolex sport series, then you have to choose one with your budget.
            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

i'm in the same dilemma like you couple months back.
              thinking of iwc or rolex.

perhaps the questions below can do some help.

what is your ultimate goal on watches?
              how often do you think you gotta change a new watch?
              is this 10k a big sum or small amount for you?
              bracelet or leather strap suit you more?
              is re-sale value important to you?

in the end, i got a rolex explorer on my birthday month.
              reasons: wish to own one when i'm still young..
              if i don't have many 10k in the future, rolex will still be my final brand of watches.
              already own couple of leather strap watches.

Comment

If you are a one watch person, follow your heart and go IWC.

Buying something you don't really like will end up flipping.
                Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                  If you are a one watch person, follow your heart and go IWC.

Buying something you don't really like will end up flipping.
                  Good point but...is there really such thing as a one watch person in this forum?
                  Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Personally....

Prefer this

over IWC...

Comment

The Choice is Clear!

Go for Rolex! Rolex is never a bad choice, though not the only choice. No true watch collection is complete without at least a Rolex, imho.

I found that there is something satisfying on an innate level (and longlasting, too) when it comes to Rolex. I used to own a IWC pilot chrono, which was sold off just within months.

As for preowned or brand new, it's a personal choice too. Some people won't take a chance of buying preowned, worrying of authenticity and scratches galore. I personally don't mind preowned if they come in full set, with conditions no less than LNIB. The price difference is probably another important factor to consider in your purchase decision, too.

Just my thoughts.... Good Luck!

Comment

wow!

Thanks for all the advise! Hopefully I did not start a brand war between Rolex and IWC.

I just feel that Rolex is getting too common nowdays with so many people wearing it.. People getting richer in Sg?

I am not so much into the movement or series bla bla bla.. Just want something which I like...

Comment

You will be happy with something you like and not something other people like or what holds value better. If you like something, you will not sell it so why bother if it holds value or not.

If you buy something just because it holds value well, you will end up selling it and get something you really like.
                          My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
                          Rolex Submariner 16610
                          Rolex Submariner 116610
                          Rolex Date 1550
                          IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
                          IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
                          Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
                          Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
                          Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
                          Seiko Sumo SBDC001
                          Seiko Sumo SBDC003
                          Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
                          Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Comment

i think most of the bros here have both if not pam as well. so there wouldn't be war.

like many said, just follow what you like... even if it's common or should i say "popular".

Comment

Thank you so much for all the advise!!

Just another question, any IWC model with see thru back below 10k??

So now it is time for me to research more into the brand models before buying.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X