Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking clarification: Is multiple identities allowed in this forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking clarification: Is multiple identities allowed in this forum?

Is multiple member IDs created and used by a same person allowed in this forum?

Apparently that is a question for the forum owner/administrator, but I invite all forum members to share their opinion on whether such act should be allowed and why.

I guess we will inevitably go into the discussion on how effective vBulletin is in tracking/banning a certain IP address (which actually has much to do with the way IP addresses are asigned rather than the capability of the forum software itself). I personally feel that how effective a rule can be enforced should not be a key consideration in setting rules, so let's just talk if such act of having multiple identities is ok (and why), instead of what can be done to curb it?

And by the way, such online identity who speaks to oneself or pretend to be another person, is known as the sockpuppet
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

To me, having 2 registered identities is understandable. It could simply be a case of using one for casual disussions in the forum and the other for proper watch trading purposes. Just like how one registers 2 mobile lines - for personal and business use.

However, having something like 3 or more and using them simultaneously to flood the forum is beyond my understanding. Worse if one ends up using his / her various IDs to converse with one another.

Comment

From an administrative perspective, there is no rules currently enforced to prevent single users with multiple nicks.

Why would a single user want to create multiple nicks, only the user knows.

However, if a user is to create multiple nicks to disrupt the forum, the forum will take appropriate actions against such users. If the purposes is for transaction purposes, why should a forum penalize such a user?

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
      Is multiple member IDs created and used by a same person allowed in this forum?

Apparently that is a question for the forum owner/administrator, but I invite all forum members to share their opinion on whether such act should be allowed and why.

I guess we will inevitably go into the discussion on how effective vBulletin is in tracking/banning a certain IP address (which actually has much to do with the way IP addresses are asigned rather than the capability of the forum software itself). I personally feel that how effective a rule can be enforced should not be a key consideration in setting rules, so let's just talk if such act of having multiple identities is ok (and why), instead of what can be done to curb it?

And by the way, such online identity who speaks to oneself or pretend to be another person, is known as the sockpuppet
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Different people managed things differently.

If a user sets up 3 separate entities to deal with sales of different products: watches, handbags and clothes. This user may want to register 3 nicks to handle 3 different entities.

For such reasons, it is reasonable.

Originally posted by lefty View Post
        To me, having 2 registered identities is understandable. It could simply be a case of using one for casual disussions in the forum and the other for proper watch trading purposes. Just like how one registers 2 mobile lines - for personal and business use.

However, having something like 3 or more and using them simultaneously to flood the forum is beyond my understanding. Worse if one ends up using his / her various IDs to converse with one another.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

i have no problem with multiple identities, it is those with malicious intent that is the problem.

i ever kena forgot username/password/email so i was left with no choice but to create new user.
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
            From an administrative perspective, there is no rules currently enforced to prevent single users with multiple nicks.

Why would a single user want to create multiple nicks, only the user knows.

However, if a user is to create multiple nicks to disrupt the forum, the forum will take appropriate actions against such users. If the purposes is for transaction purposes, why should a forum penalize such a user?
            Thanks for the clarification, administrator.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
              Different people managed things differently.

If a user sets up 3 separate entities to deal with sales of different products: watches, handbags and clothes. This user may want to register 3 nicks to handle 3 different entities.

For such reasons, it is reasonable.
              Hmm..."entities" sounds like you are referring to business setups. You are not taking about private dealers are you? Whichever the case, I cannot think of any benefit of a same person having multiple ID, unless there is something to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post

I think the example of mobile lines is quite different. To have separate business and personal line allow you to "switch off" from work when you want some personal time and yet stay contactable by friends and relatives.

With different ID on a forum, one intentionally presents himself as different persons, for whatever reason but definitely not out of convenience.

Comment

The only reason I can think of users using more than one forum ID is that they are being banned. It happened to me in WUS few years ago. But who heck care, you can always move on to another forum. Hahaha
                  sigpic

Comment

My OC got her own account(maybe to spy on me If I'm buying watch again) and we share the same computer at home, therefore same IP.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceheller View Post
                      The only reason I can think of users using more than one forum ID is that they are being banned. It happened to me in WUS few years ago. But who heck care, you can always move on to another forum. Hahaha
                      Ok...but we are talking about using multiple ID concurrently.

Comment

Interesting post.... very sneaky-good!

I’ll say there may be totally legit reasons why one would want to keep more than one online identity or to live several online "parallel lives" in a forum... but all I can come up with are the negative aspects

I do come across people in other forums that will invent 'phantom' IDs when they want to promote someone, or something.... or the "sockpuppets", as described by bro pegasi. They are like staging a puppet show, hoping to build some kind of audience. When the one man show doesn’t come off the way they want it to, they bring in their buddy puppets.

To me, it's about creadibility - letting people know who you really are.

Just my thoughts...

Comment

I don't c anything wrong. Wrong, pple still do it correct?

Is smoking correct or wrong?

Comment

Schizophrenia? Like me now trying to write post and revising for my Thursday test. Hahaha. Just kidding. But to me using concurrent ID other than being banned, most likely the person is suffering from the first word i typed or smell like dbs atm machine in operation.
                            sigpic

Comment

Smoking is neither wrong nor right. It just depend on which era you live. When LKY was still puffing, people already know
                              smoking is not good for health, but who heck care, then he stop in late 80s and early 90s and government say it harmful and start to increase the cigarette tax like nobody business. Daxx it man, I should be born 50 years ago. Haha
                              sigpic

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X