Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is the movement of a watch to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick questions, the movement found in Omega PO Chrono.. considered inhouse or modified ETA?
    Currently Wearing
    Rolex 216570

Comment

so if a watch brand uses a based ETA and market it as a limited edition and price it beyond the 8k, how?

Originally posted by theoldjaffa View Post
      depends on the price.
      if i am to pay more than 8k for a watch, i'd expect to have a full inhouse movement instead of ETA modified ones.
      less than 8k, then brand equity/design/comfort comes more into play because at less than 8k, difficult to find watches with genuine inhouse movements.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

quick questions, the movement found in Omega PO Chrono.. considered inhouse or modified ETA?
        Old or new model?

The old PO chrono uses Piguet movement so can't be considered as Omega in-house, but neither is it an ETA.

The new PO chrono's calibre 9300 is marketed as an in-house movement, but believed to be manufactured by ETA (Since Swatch owns both Omega and ETA). I would consider this as in-house since it is a new movement and not based on one of the so called ETA base movement.
        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
          so if a watch brand uses a based ETA and market it as a limited edition and price it beyond the 8k, how?
          i won't bite.

limited edition or not doesn't matter to me.
          Currently Wearing
          Rolex 216570

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
            Old or new model?

The old PO chrono uses Piguet movement so can't be considered as Omega in-house, but neither is it an ETA.

The new PO chrono's calibre 9300 is marketed as an in-house movement, but believed to be manufactured by ETA (Since Swatch owns both Omega and ETA). I would consider this as in-house since it is a new movement and not based on one of the so called ETA base movement.
            yup referring to 9300.. the 2 counter chrono.

the watch looks very nice.
            Currently Wearing
            Rolex 216570

Comment

depends on the price.

if i am to pay more than 8k for a watch, i'd expect to have a full inhouse movement instead of ETA modified ones.

less than 8k, then brand equity/design/comfort comes more into play because at less than 8k, difficult to find watches with genuine inhouse movements.
              Make sense...but your guideline of 8K refers to brand new or preowned watches? There is quite a difference in term of choices between brand new and preowned, with the same budget.

Comment

I Wouldn't mind a zenith Daytona... In fact I would like to own one. But really appreciate the in house movement Daytona. Somewhat have the impression that it is a full Rolex. Completeness.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                  Make sense...but your guideline of 8K refers to brand new or preowned watches? There is quite a difference in term of choices between brand new and preowned, with the same budget.
                  referring to brand new, final transacted price. not list price.
                  Currently Wearing
                  Rolex 216570

Comment

Looks like I missed out the non-ETA-and-non-inhouse movements used by another brand, such as

- Zenith used by Rolex
                    - Piguet/Lemania used by Omega
                    - JLC/GP used by Panerai
                    - many more exmaples

In some of these cases, the particular models ended up being more collectible. So maybe we should also treat these as in-house for the sake of this poll?

Comment

For me and like some, I am more incline towards the price point. Being only a low-middle wage worker, I think my primary consideration is the price. Next comes the quality of the movement, be it in-house or otherwise, as long as it gives me reasonable accurate time, it'll work fine for me. My consideration of price will also include how much I will have to service the movement and maintain the wellness of the watch over a long time.
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

For me the 'Heart'(movement) is the most important thing. If only possess the 'body'(the watch) and not the heart is meaningless.
                        As for price, I'll just slowly save up to get that heart .

Comment

To me, if i pay the good money, i expect in-house movement. But in-house movement is only second in my list. Some may ask why heritage only ranked third in my list, my natural explanation is that it take times for a watch manufacturer to develop in-house movement and most of these watch manufacturer has rich heritage. Modification of Basic ETA models dun count as in-house movement in my personal context.

1)Finishing & aesthetics
                          2)In-house movement
                          3)Heritage

Comment

In house not = reliable movement.
                            Expensive not = better movement.

Many In house movement performs worst than ETA.
                            As I know ETA comes in 4 grades.
                            Standard, er something, top, chronometer .

Non in house is acceptable to me so long the overall package is reasonable.

If talk about in house vs price than first to fail is Pam .
                            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

not really that important...most important is design...
                              Opportunities come once

Comment

To me it's a balance of everything, a complete package, including price as well.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X