Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is the movement of a watch to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
    In house not = reliable movement.
    Expensive not = better movement.

Many In house movement performs worst than ETA.
    As I know ETA comes in 4 grades.
    Standard, er something, top, chronometer .

Non in house is acceptable to me so long the overall package is reasonable.

If talk about in house vs price than first to fail is Pam .
    do you mean Pam's inhouse movements are overpriced, or it is not as good as other manufacture's inhouse movements?
    Currently Wearing
    Rolex 216570

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
      In house not = reliable movement.
      Expensive not = better movement.

Many In house movement performs worst than ETA.
      As I know ETA comes in 4 grades.
      Standard, er something, top, chronometer .

Non in house is acceptable to me so long the overall package is reasonable.

If talk about in house vs price than first to fail is Pam .
      Agree. But you have to commend Panerai for going in-house (though that is probably motivated by enhancement of brand and profit than anything), which turns them from a watch manufacturer (read: assembler) into a watch maker.

Breitling is another who have started their own in-house movement.

Hopefully, more brands will follow suit with Swatch reducing the supply of ETA movements in the coming years.
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by theoldjaffa View Post
        do you mean Pam's inhouse movements are overpriced, or it is not as good as other manufacture's inhouse movements?
        I think he meant both

Comment

I have owned 6497, 7750, p9000 pams. And I still lust for Pam.
          So it's movement talk. I dont dislike Pam.

For non in house, the 6497 SEs are very expensive IMO.
          Putting movement into consideration.

For the in house, same movement, numerous SE combos now or coming.
          And the price they charge is overpriced movement wise.

For in house movement design , there are too many to discuss .
          Generally, I feel that they are not well designed enough.
          Not enough finesse, especially the 3 days.
          Why so thick when the winding module is similar to seiko?
          Why no instant date change?

Look at Brietlng's movement and it's like, cool. I m not into brietlng but got to say their Inhouse are well designed.

Next to fail are the ROO LE.
          It's movement vs price talk, so don't flame me.
          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Can't agree more on the too-thick-yet-no-quick-date-change 3 days PAM movement!

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
              Is the movement used in a watch important to you in your buying decision?
              It is, if I am paying thousands for one. That's why I prefer JLC over the usual over-priced ETA brands! Sigh..... if only I bought the 8days!!
              I rather push my Alfa Romeo than drive a BMW

Alfa 1.5 Sprint
              Alfa 33
              Alfa 147
              Alfa GT
              Alfa Spider 3.2 V6- now
              Alfa 4C- maybe next time

Comment

I don't care what movement is inside my watches, so long as it's reliable and accurate.

I go for design and comfort.

Comment

Panerai has redefined the cost-movement aspect of watches via the PAM127/217 and their Unitas/7750 based luminor/radiomir. Well, not exactly Panerai per se, but more from speculators/dealers cooking up their prices in 2007 from $10-14k all the way past S$30k. Inside these cases sit simple pocket watch movements that cost US$75-100 per piece? Notwithstanding the fact that these movements undergo refinements at Panerai, but it's proof that people do go for the 'current wave' or aesthetics more than the heart of the watch itself. There's of course the 'other' crowd that goes for the heartbeat aspect of the watch, gunning for tourbillions, minute repeaters etc.

For me, I go for the reliability of a Rolex movement in simple date/time watches like the Seadweller, the smooth chrono operations in a Zenith El Primero (Daytona/Chronomaster), and the tri-barreled 8 day movement in a JLC (PAM190)...but nothing...absolutely nothing beats the accuracy of my Breitling Aerospace Avantage.... yes... it's a superquartz... a freaking quartz... and it's the most accurate watch I've ever owned.
                  "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
                  --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

Bringing up this thread for discussion and voting again, since there have been more new in-house movements coming into the scene since we last discussed here.

Every now and then, I still see people proclaiming on the forum that "in-house movements are better/the best" or "I will only go for watches with in-house movements". Always make me wonder how much these people know about in-house movements, or about movements.

Even if we disregard the Japanese and Russian movements when refer to in-house movements, there were some known flaws with Swiss in-house movements in the past. Now that we are seeing more brands going in-house movements, many of which untried, can we stop generalizing the performance of in-house movement, Swiss-made or not?

Comment

I can only speak for myself but I am motivated by movement as opposed to aesthetics, and for that matter different movements offered by a brand (but only insofar as that particular brand is sellable). Take Rolex for example. I currently have a quartz and a 3135 movement. Do I want a 3186? Yes. Should I then get 3185, too? No, since I would already have 3186. Would I want a 4130? Certainly, and while we are at it, I would like the Zenith Daytona, too, thank you very much.

Does that mean I want the entire gamut of JLC movements? No - I cannot afford such an expensive hobby!

As for ETA...well, I had a Hamilton H31. That said, it is one hell of a work-horse. But it also means IWC Portofinos are out.

YOu get the drift, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghaied View Post
                        I can only speak for myself but I am motivated by movement as opposed to aesthetics, and for that matter different movements offered by a brand (but only insofar as that particular brand is sellable). Take Rolex for example. I currently have a quartz and a 3135 movement. Do I want a 3186? Yes. Should I then get 3185, too? No, since I would already have 3186. Would I want a 4130? Certainly, and while we are at it, I would like the Zenith Daytona, too, thank you very much.

Does that mean I want the entire gamut of JLC movements? No - I cannot afford such an expensive hobby!

As for ETA...well, I had a Hamilton H31. That said, it is one hell of a work-horse. But it also means IWC Portofinos are out.

YOu get the drift, anyway.
                        Yes, I do

Comment

i have voted as very important for a simple reason it is must be reliable. i don't mind if it is automatic or quartz. i don't mind if it is ETA, soprod, in-house, etc.

as in the case for quartz, there must be replacement. i still have my tag heuer that has been with me for more than 20 years. i kept it so long as it has sentimental value. about 3 years ago, when i sent in for service, the entire movement had to be replaced. i would have preferred that there is the original quartz movement, but it was not possible. at least now when i look at the watch, it brings back memories.

as in the case for automatic movement, i still have my explorer II that has been with me for more than 20 years. it is therefore important as the movement must reliable to last as long as it possibly can.
                          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                          1. subject heading indicating your issue
                          2. your nick
                          3. your corresponding email address
                          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I appreciate the mechanical movements. It a beauty to just view the movement.

Comment

I feel that it is important, it's like you are dating someone. You would want to date someone with both the outside and inside beauty.

Comment

I think movement is as important as the look & feel of a watch. Some model have got very good movements inside the watches but were not shown at the back. What a waste!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X