Definition of "Aftermarket"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of "Aftermarket"

Since I started a debate of what the word "aftermarket" actually meant, I decided to go a step further to support my claim (no, I wouldn't ask you to call the manufacturer).

I am aware that many people use the word "aftermarket" to refer to fake or non-original parts, but the fact that many people do or say the same thing do not necessary mean what they do or say is correct.

I have been working over 15 years in a consumer products company and we have been officially calling & marketing our original accessories as "aftermarket accessories", as aftermarket refers to secondary market.

Yet my point in the debate was not to say that "aftermarket" refers to original parts. I merely said that "aftermarket" should not be used to refer to fake or non-original parts.

What do one do when one is in doubt of the meaning of a word? Our teachers taught us to check dictionary. Of all the online dictionaries I referred to, none of them define "aftermarket" as fake or non-original.

Wikipedia

Aftermarket (merchandise)

Aftermarket (also after-market) refers to any market where the customers who purchase one product or service are likely to purchase a related, follow-on product.

The existence of an after-market is often a persuasive argument for manufacturers to stay in direct contact with end users. Manufacturers will use postage-paid guarantee cards, for example, to keep track of the address of end-users.

Aftermarket service includes product support for warranties, contracts, and parts sales.

Success of the razor and blades business model relies entirely on profits from aftermarket merchandise.

Examples
    - Customers who install a software package will constitute the aftermarket for software support services.
    - Buyers of single-lens reflex cameras are an aftermarket for lenses and flashes.

Dictionary.com

1. the market for replacement parts, accessories, and equipment for the care or enhancement of the original product, especially an automobile, after its sale to the consumer: The company holds a large share in the automotive radio aftermarket.

2. any additional market created by a product after the primary market: Television is the perfect aftermarket for old movies.

3. Stock Exchange . secondary market.

BusinessDictionary.com

Secondary market that suppliesaccessories, spare parts, second-hand equipment, and other goods and services used in repair and maintenance. Some aftermarkets, such as those for automobileadd-ons, parts, tires, wheels, are very large. Also called replacement market or secondary market.

Answer.com

The market for parts and accessories used in the upkeep or enhancement of a previous purchase, as of a car or computer.

Merriam-Webster.com/dictionary

1: the market for parts and accessories used in the repair or enhancement of a product (as an automobile)

2: a secondary market available after sales in the original market are finished <a movie in the videocassette aftermarket>

YourDictionary.com

Aftermarket refers to the buying and selling of parts or equipment for a product after the initial product was manufactured and sold. (noun)
    The supply and demand for replacement ink cartridges for a printer is an example of an aftermarket.

TheFreeDictionary.com

The market for parts and accessories used in the upkeep or enhancement of a previous purchase, as of a car or computer.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Very educational; very informative.

Tx for the lesson, teacher.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Throttle
      I stand by the notion that everything must be looked at in its specific context and not simply from a mere academic definition from the dictionary.

By this, i would agree that aftermarket for the automotive industry could mean OEM which is not fake but indeed originates from the brand.

However in the context of Rolex, i would deem aftermarket as non original and non-bearing of the rolex brand.
      Whether it is then classified as fake or not is further defined by what it represents itself to be.

Eg. An aftermarket bezel is not of the rolex factory, it is often used to dress up a watch just as how we may dress up cars.
      Unless it is falsely represented as factory original, i wouldnt call it fake.
      Now we take a step deeper in this discussion.

There is a distinction between internal parts and external parts.
      Internal clearly being the movement and external being the shell.
      If the internal had been replaced with an aftermarket non original part, it may not be seen as something positive.
      This is becos we know how intricate and important it is for the movement to use an original quality guaranteed part.
      Again i wouldnt call it a fake unless it is misrepresented as a full original.

In terms of how the value would be impacted, that leaves each individual to assess his threshold for the item.

Cheers to all
      Enjiy your watch thats most important.
      Bro Throttle,

My post is not directed at you. I am not even aware that you are involved in this debate too so I am confused with where the "I standby the notion..." comes from

I was just trying to follow up on what I had said in an earlier thread:

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/79633-...et-fit-on-6694

Anyway I do not see any conflict between what you wrote and what I wrote in this thread. Read again what I wrote: "...Yet my point in the debate was not to say that "aftermarket" refers to original parts. I merely said that "aftermarket" should not be used to refer to fake or non-original parts."

So what I have been saying is, aftermarket parts could be original or non-original; BUT aftermarket parts does not equal to non-original/3rd party parts

Comment

Thanks for the article .

My England simple. Fake is non original trying to pass as original.
        Aftermarket is not fake.

A Harrier is not a fake Lexus.
        A Harrier with Lexus logo and steering is a fake Lexus .
        Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

but both harrier and rx300 have the same base. where do you draw the line at a fake lexus?

based on your analogy, is a toyota celsior a fake lexus when fitted with lexus parts? even when both cars are effectively rebadged from day one by the manufacturer.

dont forget, lexus did not appear in japan until ~2005.
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

I draw the line at consumers stick a Lexus back at front and rear end of harrier.
            And trying to look like Lexus. I heard some PI can do the steering too.
            Never seen one myself on steering.
            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
              I draw the line at consumers stick a Lexus back at front and rear end of harrier.
              And trying to look like Lexus. I heard some PI can do the steering too.
              Never seen one myself on steering.
              to change steering wheel is not difficult, whether you change just the cover on the steering wheel, or the whole steering wheel, everything will be the same, right down to the bolts that hold the steering.

personally, i have no problems with people trying to put lexus logo on their toyotas, because any tom,dick and harry who know their stuff will be able to spot the differences.

personally, i think the analogy of defining aftermarket parts with toyota/lexus is weak because the majority of lexus originated as toyota's. heck, even some of the spare parts come in the signature red toyota boxes.
              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
              Blue 6694
              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

to me aftermarket = compatible.

my humble view only hor,dun flame me. haha
                累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

Aftermarkets

what does aftermarket part means? is it original too? cos alot datejust can literally mix and match? do it still consider original?

Comment

'oem' means original equipment manufacturer
                    'aftermarket' means the opposite, and refers to non-oem

if a dealer tells you the bracelet or the diamond bezel on his rolex is an aftermarket part - beware - rolex service center will tell you its non-authentic and refuse to service your watch or even void warranty (if still within 2yr warranty period)

Originally posted by james2209 View Post
                    what does aftermarket part means? is it original too? cos alot datejust can literally mix and match? do it still consider original?

Comment

My view, and previous discussion on this subject...

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/81046-...uot?highlight=

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X