Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Advice : Price of pre-owned vs new

Hi,

I am wondering how you people gauge the price you are willing to accept/reject for a pre-owned watch versus one that is new. For example on a current model, you have a choice of buying one that is pre-owned at 4-5 years old with only the certificate, polished and at $7K. Or one that is totally brand new from an AD but costs you $8K.

For the pre-owned pc, $7K is only if payment is by cash and in full. If not, more charges will be incurred for other modes of payment accordingly. As for the new one, any mode of payment is accepted.

How?
    The Crown Of Achievement

Brand new @ 8K vs 4-5 years old preowned without box and polished before that costs 7K...

I think it's a no-brainer...brand new for sure!
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Guys tx. Will heed your advice
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

given this scenario, i will take brand new. no point save 1k.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        Hi,

I am wondering how you people gauge the price you are willing to accept/reject for a pre-owned watch versus one that is new. For example on a current model, you have a choice of buying one that is pre-owned at 4-5 years old with only the certificate, polished and at $7K. Or one that is totally brand new from an AD but costs you $8K.

For the pre-owned pc, $7K is only if payment is by cash and in full. If not, more charges will be incurred for other modes of payment accordingly. As for the new one, any mode of payment is accepted.

How?
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

And I have not factored in the expenses on verification with the RSC if it's the pre-owned pc.
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

5 years watch. No box

Add Service cost. 1k less not so worth.
            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Ok, since all sang the same tune. What then should be a reasonable/acceptable price for the pre-owned watch in this instance?
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                Ok, since all sang the same tune. What then should be a reasonable/acceptable price for the pre-owned watch in this instance?
                Reasonable price for both buyer and seller is around market price for similar watch. Too low, he won't sell. Too high, you won't buy. Different models pre-own price can be 10% to 90% of new price.

Comment

As a DAY DATE collector, I buy pre-own because the prices are 50% to 60% lower vs brand new.

Anyway, the minute you buy brand new and wear it, it is considered pre-own to the next buyer, so imo all the watches everyone own here are pre-own!
                  The only true new watches are the yet to be sold pieces lying on the shelfs of the authorised dealers
                  My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
                  1) WG DIA 18239
                  2) YG DIA 18238
                  3) WG 18239
                  4) YG 18238
                  5) YG 18248G Bark
                  6) WG DIA 18039
                  7) WG 18039
                  8) YG 18038
                  9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                  10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                  11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
                  12) WG 1803
                  13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
                  1)GMT II 116718 18K
                  2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
                  1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
                  2)D15037 14k
                  3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Limm View Post
                    As a DAY DATE collector, I buy pre-own because the prices are 50% to 60% lower vs brand new.

Anyway, the minute you buy brand new and wear it, it is considered pre-own to the next buyer, so imo all the watches everyone own here are pre-own!
                    The only true new watches are the yet to be sold pieces lying on the shelfs of the authorised dealers
                    not to me. What abt them sampling on customers wrist...makes them worn or used? To me totally new are the ones fresh at the factory before distributed out to the retailers...

Why i said that cos i have had seen "brand new" ones been delivered to workshop for polishing....

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
                      not to me. What abt them sampling on customers wrist...makes them worn or used? To me totally new are the ones fresh at the factory before distributed out to the retailers...

Why i said that cos i have had seen "brand new" ones been delivered to workshop for polishing....
                      hahaha! so even the ones at the authorised shops maybe considered "2nd hand" !! so take note everyone
                      My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
                      1) WG DIA 18239
                      2) YG DIA 18238
                      3) WG 18239
                      4) YG 18238
                      5) YG 18248G Bark
                      6) WG DIA 18039
                      7) WG 18039
                      8) YG 18038
                      9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                      10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                      11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
                      12) WG 1803
                      13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
                      1)GMT II 116718 18K
                      2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
                      1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
                      2)D15037 14k
                      3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

Buying 'brand new" at the AD or used from the shop no harm to bring along your trusty loupe. Don't rush to hand over your cash to the sales staff/private seller/dealer...i'm sure they wouldnt rush you either. = )

Don't be surprise to find scratches on "brand new" ones. Some AD would be kind enuf to 1 to 1 exchange after you have already left the shop and worn it....

Comment

Sometimes the scary part is when they bring your brand new piece in after inspection for resizing.... they normally get you to pay when the resizing is done.

Comment

Originally posted by nim
                            Yes because they want to return those scratched pieces to the agent and get new stocks
                            i don't know if luxury time pieces work like computer hardware where we could return to suppliers. But i do know how they deal with scratched time pieces which really turns me off. The sales staff brought back to independent watch maker to polish to make them look "brand new"....

Comment

Originally posted by nim
                              they could, heard this from AD
                              how true, not sure
                              now this strike me, what if a customer knock the watch onto something scratched or even a dent on the watch at the AD. What's next...?

Imo the sales staff can't force the customer to buy it, can they...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X