Watch with COSC timekeeping Standard vs COSC watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch with COSC timekeeping Standard vs COSC watch

Isn't it the same if you say a watch that keeps COSC standard timekeeping is the same as a COSC watch?

COSC stands for Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres, the Official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute, which is the institute responsible for certifying the accuracy and precision of wristwatches in Switzerland.

How can a Steinhart 47mm pilot watch be within COSC standard when it is not certified or seller couldn't prove it?

I believe only the official swiss chronometer testing institute could give certificate to a watch within COSC standard. Not any tom dick or harry watch company in singapore could do that. Am i right to say that?

And also if a sales thread that says watch is within COSC standard. IF any buyer were to ask if it is certified by the swiss institute. Is seller going to provide them with other dubious certificate that he/she gets from a local company?

Isn't it misleading for our fellow forum brothers/sisters? I do hope that such thing shouldn't happen within our community.

Originally posted by trolli86 View Post
    Isn't it the same if you say a watch that keeps COSC standard timekeeping is the same as a COSC watch?

COSC stands for Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres, the Official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute, which is the institute responsible for certifying the accuracy and precision of wristwatches in Switzerland.

How can a Steinhart 47mm pilot watch be within COSC standard when it is not certified or seller couldn't prove it?

I believe only the official swiss chronometer testing institute could give certificate to a watch within COSC standard. Not any tom dick or harry watch company in singapore could do that. Am i right to say that?

And also if a sales thread that says watch is within COSC standard. IF any buyer were to ask if it is certified by the swiss institute. Is seller going to provide them with other dubious certificate that he/she gets from a local company?

Isn't it misleading for our fellow forum brothers/sisters? I do hope that such thing shouldn't happen within our community.

Default WTS : Steinhart 47mm auto pilot watch - (Sterile Mocca Dial)

Hi everyone, i have a Steinhart pilot to let go due to a few incomings...

Here are the basic specifications -

- 47mm blasted S.S316L Case with classic diamond crown

- Movement is the reliable ETA 2824-2 automatic

- Sterile Mocca Dial with gold edged pilot hands

- Comes with full box and papers

- Still under Local AD warr til Oct 2012

- Working Condition is 9.5/10 as within COSC standard

Price to Sell is at $600

Interested parties pls SMS or Whatsapp me for more information or Pictures

Hotline to sms or whatsapp is 9437 1668

Last edited by feilong108; 17-12-11 at 07:43 AM.

Comment

There is a debate among watch enthusiasts as to whether the COSC chronometer certification for a Swiss watch is a meaningful test or a simple marketing gimmick. On the one hand, when a watch maker intends to submit a movement for COSC testing, they frequently employ additional jewelling (i.e. to the barrel) and better quality[21] "Ébauche" parts (i.e. higher quality hairsprings, mainsprings, balance wheels; regulators, etc.) all aimed at the coveted chronometer certification.[22] On the other hand, it is likely that most good quality movements on the market today are capable of being tweaked, and timed to fall comfortably within the benchmark -4/+6 average daily rate criteria of the COSC. However, movements so submitted to COSC are more likely to be submitted with better quality parts in order to be confident of a successful test, and as a consequence may be more likely to maintain better timekeeping rates over the service life of the time piece.[23]

Therefore, some of the ″Haute Horlogerie″ Swiss Watch Manufacturers have created on 5 June 2001, ″The Fleurier Quality Foundation″ to establish new aesthetic and technical criteria dedicated to the certification of finished watches. Their certification meets a normative requirement for the market and the final customer to have a better definition of quality watchmaking, adapted to today's demands and technological advances. Geneva's have created along similar criteria the Geneva seal
      Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Information is quoted from WIKI...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

For the people interested...

Easy to tweak the ETA 2824-2 to run within the COSC Standard of -4/+6 secs per day by any good watch technican.
        Last edited by feilong108; 20-12-11, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Nope...i do not think is the same. Read the wiki link provided above in my previous post.

Yes , it is correct.

Can always go to the local service centre to check out whether i am saying the truth anot. The timing machine at the local service centre ain't going to lie.

Yes, you are correct.

Nope...As i have stated in my sales thread the time keeping is good and my defination of good time keeping is -4/+6 per day as per COSC Standard specifications.

Pls refer to my itrader ratings and can check with those bros and sisters that had bought from my previous sales threads if i misleaded them anot.

Simple...Hope the above answers u can understand.
          Last edited by feilong108; 20-12-11, 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Comment

from my perspective, when i read your sentence -"....a watch that keeps COSC standard timekeeping is the same as a COSC watch"

to me a COSC watch means that the watch has a certificate issued by COSC stating that the watch is within COSC standard and that the watch is tested.

when a watch keeps COSC standard time keeping, it means that the watch has the ability to keep time according to COSC standard but does not need to have a certificate nor is the watch tested.

Comment

You dont get me..

yes.. i agree keeping that standard time is one thing.. having tested at a local service centre is one thing.. using the word COSC is another..

come on.. let's not argue.. to be tested in COSC standards and a watch keeping a standard time is two different thing.. local service centres dont do COSC testing. i just need to ask a simple question and the local service centre will not able to give me an answer.

i agree it keeps good time.. but not COSC standard.. using "COSC standard" as a means of selling is not ethical..

Comment

Read post no.6 again

Comment

and also to service a watch to make it close to -4/+6 daily is possible.. "IN A CERTIFIED LAB"..

in this context if everyone were to say their watch is of COSC just because they went to a local service centre to fine tune it.. then COSC certified labs doing the fine tuning for what?

thats why i say its not ethical to put COSC. you should just say it is keeping a good time of -4/+6 a day after servicing, etc.. because it may mislead ppl who dont really understand the word COSC. i'm just helping to bring awareness of this thing. i have friends in the forum too. some knows some dont know about this. i hope it helps people understand what this COSC is all about through these discussions.

Comment

COSC Certified Lab does not fine tune or service any kind of watches.

COSC does the testing only..if the watch movement perform according to the standard of COSC then it is certified to be a chronometer grade movement.

COSC is a Swiss standard of testing watch movements.

Pls re-read the information in the link that i provided earlier on.

Comment

COSC Certified Lab does not fine tune or service any kind of watches.

COSC does the testing only..if the watch movement perform according to the standard of COSC then it is certified to be a chronometer grade movement.

COSC is a Swiss standard of testing watch movements.

Pls re-read the information in the link that i provided earlier on.

Comment

i rest my case.. im here not to argue with anyone.. just letting others know that something like this is misleading.. and for your own ethicity.. dont live in denial.. if you think it helps in selling then by all means.. enough said..

Comment

All the thread starter said was keeps to COSC standard timing which is -4/+6s per day. This is by observation. Do note the words used is COSC standard timing. To a potential buyer who is particular about accuracy of a watch, at least the potential buyer knows the accuracy.

For a watch lover like yourself I am sure you know what does COSC means.

As for your comments on ethicity about the seller, I have not dealt with the seller before, so unable to comment.

However, the words used in relation to seller's ethics can be deem offensive.

i rest my case.. im here not to argue with anyone.. just letting others know that something like this is misleading.. and for your own ethicity.. dont live in denial.. if you think it helps in selling then by all means.. enough said..

Comment

Just my humble opinion

The seller states that the watch is within -4 to +6 standard (COSC standard) .... Nothing wrong I guess.
                            Any well informed watch enthusiasts will know how to differentiate that against COSC tested. even though perhaps uninformed And newbie may be mislead.

It's a bit like a man can drive to a qualified driving license standard but did not pass the driving test and whether his passengers still wanna sit in his car is his friends decision.

The watch can perform up to COSC standard. Whether the buyer wanna buy is up to the buyer's decision.

Comment

IMO it is only misleading if the seller stated that his watch is COSC Certified(which mean that the watch is tested in SA before the company sell the watch to AD) but originally the watch is not. Now what the seller stated is within COSC standard(in this case it is just a guideline that the watch keeps good time) which means that the watch is not faster than 6 sec per 24 hour or 3 minutes per month or slower than 4 sec per 24 hour or 2 minutes per month and i don't think there is anything wrong with that. If i say that my Citizen auto watch is within COSC standard, will that mislead anyone to think that the watch is COSC certified or will anyone actually believe that the watch is COSC certified? That is the difference if seller stated COSC certified or within COSC standard.

Just my 2 rupees........

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X