Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolex and other watches as a form of investment diversification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personally I would hate to know that the watch I buy brand new for can be bought at a fraction of the price I paid for at pre own market. That's why I would stick to 5 sticks and anything with a P.

Comment

• up for toby to read
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

• up for toby to read
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

• This thread brings back memories.....

Forget I even started this thread!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

• Comes to think of it:

What's the top 10

1. Oldest thread

2. Longest thread

3. Most posting human

4. Top flipper ( no 1 I think I know who )

5. Most started thread human
            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

• Originally posted by Watcha View Post
              Comes to think of it:

What's the top 10

1. Oldest thread

2. Longest thread

3. Most posting human

4. Top flipper ( no 1 I think I know who )

5. Most started thread human
              In SGROC?.....

Comment

• Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
                Would also like to add.. being in the SG-ROC forum, a watch which holds its value pretty well (NOTE : HOLD in my terms means it don't depreciate exponentially / extremely fast) is definitely a Rolex Sports series.. esp Daytona...
                Agreed fully...in fact, I think it applies to all Rolex models, especially those with 18K WG/YG? Correct me please if wrong...Cheers all Rolexians Lovers outta there... ;-)
                My collection

Rolex DateJust 16014,
                Rolex DateJust 16233,
                Rolex Submariner 16613LN
                Rolex GMT-Master IIC 116713LN
                Rolex Daytona 116523 (Champagne Gold Dial with Diamonds)
                Rolex Day-Day 1803, 18038 & 18238
                Omega Seamaster TT Polaris
                Omega Speedmaster Professional 1861Moonwatch

Wishlist:
                Short Term Hunt, YM

Long Term Hunt,
                Rolex DayDate, Omega Cal. 321 and 861 Professional SpeedMaster Moon-watch.

Comment

• the Rolex stainless steel sports models hold value the best

Comment

• not really. depending on what price you buy. take for example, if you buy 116610 LV @ premium when launched. now brand new in garage can get about 1100. you lose easily 1.5k already. if buyer buy preown now, maybe the depreciation not as bad compared to former.

so it depends @ what price and when.

if you purchase a 14060 @ 4k. chances is that the price fluctuation is not that great. hence some will say it holds value well.

another factor is how long you hold the watch for. take another instance, my 20 year old explorer II was bought @ 3k. now i think can sell about 4k. i made 1k. so ROI is pretty bad.

kindly email with
                    2. your nick

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                      In SGROC?.....
                      Yes in sg-roc

Most watches will hold price if bought at right preowned price.

But they don't appreciate gradually as well as rolex IMO

For ROI auction material fluctuates like stock market.
                      Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

• sorry double post.

Comment

• Originally posted by triton View Post
                          not really. depending on what price you buy. take for example, if you buy 116610 LV @ premium when launched. now brand new in garage can get about 1100. you lose easily 1.5k already. if buyer buy preown now, maybe the depreciation not as bad compared to former.

if you purchase a 14060 @ 4k. chances is that the price fluctuation is not that great. hence some will say it holds value well.

another factor is how long you hold the watch for. take another instance, my 20 year old explorer II was bought @ 3k. now i think can sell about 4k. i made 1k. so ROI is pretty bad.
                          Yes i agree with u bro Triton. 116610LV if brought at premium, easily will lose about 1.5k already. But i think it is all the same case with all brands and models of watches if u buy at premium price not only rolex or 116610LV. Best to take your advice if dont mind, buy preowned Try compare a Cartier, Concord, Bretling or even any brands with Rolex stainless steel sports. Most Rolex stainless steel models resale value and the ability to hold or even increase in value will be much faster then any brands except maybe pam (not all)? In your case of your exp2, u earn a bit but still earn correct? hehe, but for 20yrs 1K returns really sucks this i must agree with u. but if your watch is Concord, Cartier or Bretling i think it may not be the case to even come close or break even, especially if it is in precious metal. And then If u get at a higher price, u will need to hold that watch for a longer time in order to minimise the loss, break even or even earn abit in future. But 1 thing for sure, u r correct is in stating the 14060 example. Because the initial value of this watch is not really high, so fluctuation of this watch is not too high so the value will always be there. Can u imagine if it is a TT or Full gold sport models? The initial price of these models when bought are higher then stainless steel models so the fluctuation of these models will be higher. Hence the return will be much slower. That y i think stainless steel rolex sports hold value well better. Also stainless steel sports models after many donkey yrs will have a high chance of becoming vintage, hence maybe will have collectors willing to pay a higher price for it. Guess we all heard of 5508 1680 5512 5513 1675 1655 16520 6263, just to name a few. But seldom heard of vintage classic rolex models or TT and full gold vintage models commanding a high price or higher returns. In other words, rolex stainless steel sports have high chance of not losing so much, but it is certainly NOt an inverstment.

Comment

• Originally posted by triton View Post
                            not really. depending on what price you buy. take for example, if you buy 116610 LV @ premium when launched. now brand new in garage can get about 1100. you lose easily 1.5k already. if buyer buy preown now, maybe the depreciation not as bad compared to former.

But 3K back then was also more "valuable" compared to the 4K now.

As in, a bowl of noodle costs $2 back then (or even lower?), but now it might cost $3 or $3.50 already.

Comment

• i see the point you are getting @. assuming back then a bowl of noodles was say $2. now the same bowl of noodles say cost $3.50. this would mean an appreciation of 175%? going by so called appreciation rate. it should technically be 5.25k rather than 4k. and yes, if you factor in the condition of watch. mine is a box and papers + service receipts. i would be happy if the watch can fetch 4.75k min. now it is not the case.

there are many other factors involve as well.

the main point is that watch is not meant for an investment initially. if want to buy watch, try to get the best price @ the time of purchase and dont ask if the buying price is ok or not. the other important point to note is to arm oneself with enough knowledge to know what you are buying. consider all the factors involved and make a decision.

Originally posted by charleslin View Post
                              But 3K back then was also more "valuable" compared to the 4K now.

As in, a bowl of noodle costs $2 back then (or even lower?), but now it might cost $3 or $3.50 already.

kindly email with
                              2. your nick

Comment

• Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                                Yes in sg-roc

Most watches will hold price if bought at right preowned price.

But they don't appreciate gradually as well as rolex IMO

For ROI auction material fluctuates like stock market.
                                Hmm...I wonder who might that be? Hehehe...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X