Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolex and other watches as a form of investment diversification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can start with the Audemars Piguet F1 SGP Edition.

Otherwise most of the time, watches are not a good investment. They are a joy to have though...like children..the more the merrier!

Comment

• i would rather buy a watch because i like the watch not because of its potential resale value.

panerai currently has pretty good resale value. not all limited edition have good resale value.

no one know for sure. back in the earlier 90s, panerai were sold with discounts. now? no discount, some even @ premium.

im careful with watch brands that promote only a particular series. this is because if that series collapses, the resale might go up or down.

most importantly, nothing is for certain. enjoy the watch, if the watch appreciates in value, it is a bonus.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

• Yes, buy a watch because you like it and it places a smile on your face when you place it on your wrist. Buying it only for the sake of investment is risky. You may get burnt in the long run. My wish for my collection is that it just hold it's value, no need to increase in price, for the sake of the future generation that is going to inherit it from me.
        Last edited by ejaan; 08-10-08, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Agree with that...

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

• Originally posted by crimewatch View Post
            I think last 2 to 3 week, I read in newpaper that one of the good investments now is buying watches. Anyone know any watch is worth investing now? I know Omega and Tag watches has poor resale value, so getting 2nd hand watches is a good idea. Maybe someone would like to enlighten me on that?
            My point of view is the value of watches doesn't increase much in a short period of time. Don't expect to "earn" much from it within 2 or 3 years time. Regardless of rolex, omega or any brands.

The returns you get back also depends on the demand on the pieces you have. For example, when the news of dis-continuaion of GMT II 16710 is released, you can see many people letting go of their pieces on hand. The prices shot up quite significantly for a short period based on demand and pepople's kiasuism. But once too many people letting go and too many start "flooding" the pre-owned market, prices goes down. So it all depends on opportunity. Buy and let go at the "RIGHT" time. It's all like speculation in the stock market. Sometimes also depends on luck.

The value of the pieces (regardless of brand) depends greatly on the condition, rarity and complete set (original Paper, box and accessories) of the watch you getting. Of course rollies prices are quite stiff based on branding. But the production in a yr goes into the millions so rarity is out. Unless it is a limited and rare pieces such as COMEX, red double subs etc... Brands like Patek is high dued to the number of watches they produce a year.. So even their basic quartz models are not cheap.

Brands like AP is high due to good brand marketing and using celebraties to associating them to the watch. Nothing really special about it's movement actually...It's like Louis Vuitton. More expensive compared to others but still a just a bag lor. and you can see many carrying one on the streets.

If want to treat it as a heirloom to pass it down to the next generation, I'll rather buy gold bars and pass it down. Definately more valuable and no need to fork out money to service it... haha

For me, buy the watch because you like the watch. My head has been telling me to save up and buy Rolex for it can more or less retain it's value. (Maybe as a form of savings). But everytime I see an Omega, I can't help buying it on "impulse" as the watch appeals more to me than a rollie. Maybe I'll be the next Omega Man, like what other bros said.. haha

Comment

• yup..buy watches for wearing lar..if for investments there are many other ways...buy wad u like to wear as it will be on your wrist and no one else....
              Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• You need a big fortune to make a small fortune
                I own a Rolex !

Comment

• hahaha...esp in watches...
                  Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• I have to admit, buying and selling off some of my vintage rolexes have earn me some spare cash......

Comment

• I dun think it is 'gd' investment when comes to watches. Shld buy wat u like.

Comment

• Agree...

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

• I believe tat when u buy a watch, it is because u like it and appreciate its functions, craftsmanship and e sheer hardwork to produce it, not for investment.
                          "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

• very hard to speculate on what pieces will make you money. depends on timing, and market sentiments, if one fella makes planet ocean's popular, then you *may* see a rise in price . just depends on willing buyer willing seller.
                            [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                            [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                            Blue 6694
                            Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                            [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                            [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

• Agree with everyone! You should buy a watch that brings a smile to your face and skips a heart beat when you felt the cool back case on your wrist.

Cheers and enjoy huntting for those pieces.
                              GMT Master II
                              Explorer I
                              U-Boat Thousand of Feet MS 1R ref. 1176
                              U-Boat Flightdeck CAS O ref. 1756
                              Azimuth Mr.Roboto
                              Azimuth Calendier Rose Gold
                              Tag Heuer Kimi Raikkonen F1 Champion 2007
                              Seiko 5 1/2 Gold
                              Seiko Chronograph
                              Casio Protrek Triple Sensor

Comment

• I agree with all on the purpose of buying a watch.

If u are out on this purely for investment, the only watch that comes to mind is a PAM. However, what happended after the 90s till now is phenomenal but nobody CAN surely guarantee you the same result in the next 2 - 10 yrs with those models, especially in the light of a global economy melt-down.... You might wana consider carefully..

I would maybe suggest you get something you like first and worry about it holding its value later..... cos even if the watch don't hold it value 2 to 3 yrs down, you may sell it at a loss when you loose your interest in that time piece but this "loss" can be interpreted as a "rental" cost over the 2 - 3 yrs. :P

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                                - GMT II
                                - GMT IIc TT
                                - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                                - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                                - U1
                                - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X