Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolex and other watches as a form of investment diversification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• click here

have been discussed

thread close
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

• True only for the rare/limited/discontinued models imho, other than tat they jus depreciate the moment they leave the shops.

Rolex owner since 2010
      Previously owned:
      Explorer II(216570) black dial AN serial
      GMT-Master II(116710LN) AN serial
      Current collection:
      Datejust 36(116234) V serial
      GMT-Master II(116713LN) AN serial
      Upcoming/Wishlist:
      "Hulk" green sub(116610LV)

Comment

• I'm no expert, but looking at the sellers and buyers on SGROC alone, I'll say the sub is quite a safe bet.

Comment

• Daytona WG FTW

Comment

• Buying Rolex for Investment

Hi All,

I have heard many of my friends buying watches as a form of investment.

How true is this for rolex?

If i were to get a sub/GMT Master II, wear it and take good care of it for the next 5-8 years, would i really be able to sell it at a higher price when i need cash?

Pls advise.

Comment

• Originally posted by theophilus_87 View Post
              I have heard many of my friends buying watches as a form of investment. How true is this for rolex?

If i were to get a sub/GMT Master II, wear it and take good care of it for the next 5-8 years, would i really be able to sell it at a higher price when i need cash?
              1. not true, unless you're buying rare models at prices you probably cannot fathom. in that case, you're better off buying a few other brands instead of rolex.

2. if worn carefully, maybe, but i wouldn't bet on it. if you keep it unworn, probably, but there're other investments that have better yield and easier liquidity though.

watches are for enjoyment. investment grade watches are not your regular "subs/GMT Master II"s.
              “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

• Originally posted by theophilus_87 View Post
                Hi All,

I have heard many of my friends buying watches as a form of investment.

How true is this for rolex?

Pls advise.
                Usually when you need cash, the odds go against you. Even if you hold onto a rare piece, you may not get the price you want should you want fast cash. While my suggestion is to always buy what you like, should you earn it's a bonus.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

• i see it as a commodity rather than an investment.

put ur money in a lot of local blue chip equity..it yields better investment returns anytime over the same 5-8 years, if not capital appreciation, at least dividend yield
                  elusive

Comment

• unless you are buying an extremely rare Rolex “Single Red” Sea-Dweller Submariner prototype model, forget about it dude.

Comment

• imho at best you could break even and wear the sub or GMT 5-8yr for free when you sell it then
                      ie provided condition of watch is mint and full set box papers available
                      and this is excluding servicing/parts replacement costs, if any

rolex is a mass market brand afterall

the reason why this is possible is rolex increases its MSRP every year at about 3-4%
                      by 5-8yr, the MSRP would have risen significantly compared to the current prices

Originally posted by theophilus_87 View Post

Pls advise.
                      Last edited by skydweller_sg; 30-01-13, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• It is much much better than buying a car.

Comment

• especially now that COE is nearing $100k

Originally posted by wsx123 View Post
                          It is much much better than buying a car.

Comment

• Gmt mater and submariner

Collect gmt master or submariner and explorer got value next time

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X