Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolex and other watches as a form of investment diversification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both are gd...BUT! When it comes to servicing...the red sub is gonna be pretty troublesome and more expensive

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Ya quite true. You know which place got service and orginal parts replace for vintage rolex like red sub?
      Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
      Rolex LV submariner
      Rolex TT black submariner
      Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
      Rolex Non date submariner
      Rolex Explorer2
      More...

Comment

Originally posted by teo View Post
        Ya quite true. You know which place got service and orginal parts replace for vintage rolex like red sub?
        Maybe you have to ask Ohlins or Triton

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Stainless steel daytona or the red submariner?

SS daytona. It is the ultimate watch IMO.
          -------------
          My collection:-
          a) Rolex Sub LV "Y" serial
          b) Rolex SS Daytona
          c) RXW Marina Militare MM20 47mm
          D) Marathon GSAR

Comment

Stainless steel daytona or the red submariner?
            kindly refer to this thread all the answer
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

A vintage red sub is harder to get than daytona. Becos you can always go AD and pay premium and get it. but the same thing can't be say for red sub. U see them once in a blue moon at preowned shops.
              Rolex LV submariner
              Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
              Rolex Explorer2
              More...

Comment

Are watches really a form of investment?

http://forums2.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=616

I’m going to repost this in case the “old” forum cannot be restored completely.

Rule #1: 3 things influence the value of a vintage watch: condition, condition and condition. It’s very difficult to assess condition from a photo, hence any online value estimate is a crapshoot.

Rule #2: If you have a solid gold case, add $500 US to the price assessment. If it's encrusted in diamonds and is platinum, it doesn't much matter about the watch part anyway – the scrap value will be higher unless it’s say a Rolex, Patek or Vacheron.

Rule #3: The watch is worth what a buyer will pay for it. There are price lists published, but they assume the watch has been serviced and is in running condition. Any buyer will have to deduct at least $100 US from the price list value if the watch has not been recently serviced. A watch seller will not give you more than 50% of the posted price in any case. Often eBay is the best way to get an idea of what your watch is worth.

Rule #4: Your antique watch is worth far less than you think. They are not rare, even if they are old. For instance Elgin made over 50 MILLION movements. They were built to last and be repaired so a lot of them are still around in various conditions of course. The average price for an 80 year old pocket watch is around $150 US. Of course how do you put a price on something your grandfather gave you when you were 7?

Rule #5. When it comes to wristwatches, men’s are worth more than ladies’ models. Women are not as interested in old mechanical things, and the ladies’ watches are often really tiny - that’s out of fashion today. Besides, the men’s watches of the 30s and 40s are quite small and can serve as unisex pieces. So ladies, go ahead and wear Dad’s old Bulova if you want.

Rule #6: Watches stink as an investment. I bought an 1883 keywind Hampden in 1978 for about $100 US. It's value today? Maybe $175 US. I'm not going to retire on those types of returns. It's a great watch though.

Rule #7: When in doubt, refer to Rule #1.

End of the day, we must be happy with owning & wearing the watch. For those who treat it as a form of investment, there's always the share market but then again, share trading can be suspended and one would end up with nothing but worthless paper.

What do you guys think?
                Remnants of my irresponsibility:
                "Foreign affections"
                1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
                2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
                3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
                4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
                What's NEXT?

Comment

It really depends on your luck I think. If you bought a red sub or double red sea dweller or paulman daytona or orange hand explorer2 it will be very different. But of all watches rolex still hold their value best.
                  Rolex LV submariner
                  Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                  Rolex Explorer2
                  More...

Comment

Investment? I choose not to associate watches with investment. Investment wise, I will say that shares, funds, and property will yield much better returns. But... You can't wear your shares on your wrist, but you can wear a watch!
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

Originally posted by minusplus View Post
                      Investment? I choose not to associate watches with investment. Investment wise, I will say that shares, funds, and property will yield much better returns. But... You can't wear your shares on your wrist, but you can wear a watch!
                      Yup .. maybe will classify it as hobby, collection, men's accessories etc. As for investment, yup, other yield better return.

I think most of us ( on aveage ) will not make any $$, unless u r a watch trader ...

Comment

I view my watch purchases as an indulgence...never an investment...

Comment

And for the record, I have never made any money for my watches...Rolexes or not... it is always a question of how much I lose....never the other way round....

Comment

Originally posted by paithorn View Post
                            And for the record, I have never made any money for my watches...Rolexes or not... it is always a question of how much I lose....never the other way round....
                            yes, i share the same sentiments.

if u want investments, there r other instruments which can give better returns.

watches are a hobby to me, a fascination that captivates the mind. if u r really lucky, ur hobby can give u nice returns. but the next qn will be r u willing to part ur favourite watch in exchange for $$?

Comment

Looking at how some luxurious watch brands increase their prices, actually IF one pick the right pieces, and releases them at the right time, there may be some positive returns.

But then again, these may not be what one likes. For me, I'ld rather put the moolah in something that I think I will like for very long. Of course, if the value of the timepiece goes up, it's a plus plus
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

if I may add.... you have to buy the right ones sell at the right time, and preferably NOT wear it........ and if you do, minimises wearing.....and if you wear, be damn careful etc etc.......... in the 1st place, might as well invest in other stuffs....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X