Anyone knows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone knows?

ok ok...am too lazy to go find answers myself so i'm hoping someone will be able to advise me on this topic.

i just recently sold off my apartment to cash it out (from what i think it's probably the peak for the prop market now...but who knows?) and thinking of retiring liao

instead of buying a house/condo or move back to my other HDB unit....i've this crazy idea of buying a decent yacht, berth it at some marina/sentosa..stay in it, retire and keep the cash.

anyone knows how much is the monthly berthing fee like ah? i think a decent yacht will set me back ard $100K+? and i wonder is it easy to sell the boat if i eventually decides to do so? must take boat licence or not ah??

cheers
    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
    Audemars Piguet ROO
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
    Panerai 270
    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
    Rolex 116610LV
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

depnds on the club, what from i know some charges per foot per month. so depends on length of your boat.
    Er boat and yacht is different wor.. For boat, 100K you can get something pretty decent. for yacht, if u wan a decent one, might be anything up to 500K...
    Don't trust anyone too much, even your own shadow leave you when you are in darkness.

Comment

Hi James, I think berthing at Sentosa is gg to be very expensive. If you dont mind berthing at West Coast side. You can take a look at at Republic of Singapore Yacht club. You can have a look at the berthing charges here. Only wet berth can you live onboard, if you have a dry berth you can choose to stay at the club's rooms and then launch your boat whenever. Like what MsLucy says its dependent on the length of your yacht.

Btw my family used to have membership there when my father was also "habouring"(yes corny pun intended) the idea of the entire family living on board a yacht, so your idea isnt that crazy at all

http://www.rsyc.org.sg/marina/marina...#wetberthrates
      My Tumblr
      -------------------
      http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kqxrlovesSpeedmasters View Post
        Hi James, I think berthing at Sentosa is gg to be very expensive. If you dont mind berthing at West Coast side. You can take a look at at Republic of Singapore Yacht club. You can have a look at the berthing charges here. Only wet berth can you live onboard, if you have a dry berth you can choose to stay at the club's rooms and then launch your boat whenever. Like what MsLucy says its dependent on the length of your yacht.

Btw my family used to have membership there when my father was also "habouring"(yes corny pun intended) the idea of the entire family living on board a yacht, so your idea isnt that crazy at all

http://www.rsyc.org.sg/marina/marina...#wetberthrates
        Thanks bro!

Originally posted by MsLucifer View Post
        depnds on the club, what from i know some charges per foot per month. so depends on length of your boat.
        Er boat and yacht is different wor.. For boat, 100K you can get something pretty decent. for yacht, if u wan a decent one, might be anything up to 500K...
        Huh?? so ex ah?? i better go google some affordable ones...

Current collection
        Audemars Piguet ROO
        Habring2 Pilot Time Date
        Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
        Panerai 270
        Patek Philippe 5711/1a
        Rolex 116610LV
        Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
          ok ok...am too lazy to go find answers myself so i'm hoping someone will be able to advise me on this topic.

i just recently sold off my apartment to cash it out (from what i think it's probably the peak for the prop market now...but who knows?) and thinking of retiring liao

instead of buying a house/condo or move back to my other HDB unit....i've this crazy idea of buying a decent yacht, berth it at some marina/sentosa..stay in it, retire and keep the cash.

anyone knows how much is the monthly berthing fee like ah? i think a decent yacht will set me back ard $100K+? and i wonder is it easy to sell the boat if i eventually decides to do so? must take boat licence or not ah??

cheers
          Wow, congrats!! I am thinking of doing that too, living on a boat I mean. Thing is, docking is very expensive here & that's not just what you need to pay. The usual maintenance & upkeeping of the boat will set you back quite a fair bit, I estimate you will be needing somewhere around S$1000plus to S$3000 a month to keep the bugger afloat. What most people would do is to lease out the boat & double up as captain as this will help offset some of the cost. The other option is to dock in neighbouring countries like Malaysia or Phuket, it's cheaper & you could always get a bike to move around & live like a bum or something.

If you are seriously thinking of doing that, you would wanna get your boat licence & diving licence too cos you will be able to start some water recreation business & sail the seven seas...just like Zheng He or Simbad! Anyway, S$100k couldnt get you much BNIB so you might wanna consider 99.99% LNIB, the depreciation is terrible so a pre-owned should be a better choice. But before that, you must think whether are you a sea dog & how would your family react, although if you are some swinging bachelor, it's much easier to get a chick to follow you back cos getting banged on land is an everyday thing, but not on water!! Good luck & your Aquatimer will be of good use!
          I rather push my Alfa Romeo than drive a BMW

Alfa 1.5 Sprint
          Alfa 33
          Alfa 147
          Alfa GT
          Alfa Spider 3.2 V6- now
          Alfa 4C- maybe next time

Comment

I second this! You definitely need a chick for sea lol though I would probably bring the Sub

Originally posted by turboducky View Post
            Wow, congrats!! I am thinking of doing that too, living on a boat I mean. Thing is, docking is very expensive here & that's not just what you need to pay. The usual maintenance & upkeeping of the boat will set you back quite a fair bit, I estimate you will be needing somewhere around S$1000plus to S$3000 a month to keep the bugger afloat. What most people would do is to lease out the boat & double up as captain as this will help offset some of the cost. The other option is to dock in neighbouring countries like Malaysia or Phuket, it's cheaper & you could always get a bike to move around & live like a bum or something.

If you are seriously thinking of doing that, you would wanna get your boat licence & diving licence too cos you will be able to start some water recreation business & sail the seven seas...just like Zheng He or Simbad! Anyway, S$100k couldnt get you much BNIB so you might wanna consider 99.99% LNIB, the depreciation is terrible so a pre-owned should be a better choice. But before that, you must think whether are you a sea dog & how would your family react, although if you are some swinging bachelor, it's much easier to get a chick to follow you back cos getting banged on land is an everyday thing, but not on water!! Good luck & your Aquatimer will be of good use!
            My Tumblr
            -------------------
            http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kqxrlovesSpeedmasters View Post
              I second this! You definitely need a chick for sea lol though I would probably bring the Sub
              And prepare sea sick pills for her too!
              I rather push my Alfa Romeo than drive a BMW

Alfa 1.5 Sprint
              Alfa 33
              Alfa 147
              Alfa GT
              Alfa Spider 3.2 V6- now
              Alfa 4C- maybe next time

Comment

Originally posted by turboducky View Post
                ...although if you are some swinging bachelor, it's much easier to get a chick to follow you back cos getting banged on land is an everyday thing, but not on water!!
                sounds like my kinda lifestyle, only money not enough to own a yacht
                [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                Blue 6694
                Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

everyone owns a sub though, maybe an jlc or panerai would be better.

btw, its good to have a pleasure boat...next time we can rent and have our own sg-roc gathering on it
                  Opportunities come once

Comment

Boats are high maintenance items. More than watchs and cars. Plus, yachts are costly. New ones dep like mad. Used ones must set aside money for repairs. Small used ones with 1 cabin go from upwards of 250K? Petrol is expensive. One trip out at least $200!

Unless you are looking at renting it out for weekends and live there on weekdays, you may have to set aside a 5711 to be written off every year.

How about selling everything here....go to Bali, buy a house and a small shop that sells Surfing wear and drinks. Employ a local to man the shop. You can sunbath and surf all day and drink all night. That was my dream since Uni days but ended when I started collecting watches.

Comment

and in bali you can join the party crowd too if you so wish. last time i went very happening
                      Blue 6694
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Plus the nude sunbathers! Got many Aussies and some Japanese. That's the ideal place to retire!

Comment

japanese got meh? where ah? last time i went bo leh... last time i went go aussies, chinese, s'poreans, m'sians, taiwanese (rare!)
                          Blue 6694
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                            japanese got meh? where ah? last time i went bo leh... last time i went go aussies, chinese, s'poreans, m'sians, taiwanese (rare!)
                            Serious ah....Chinese got topless? And how do you distinguish between topless Chiness, Singaporean, M'sian and Taiwaness? Ha

Many years back I go see lots of topless Angmo and a few Japaneses/Koreans.

Comment

just a crazy idea....but it seems not feasible after all the information i got from here...

Current collection
                              Audemars Piguet ROO
                              Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                              Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                              Panerai 270
                              Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                              Rolex 116610LV