Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Thoughts]- Automatic Movement storage... what's your practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Thoughts]- Automatic Movement storage... what's your practice?

We just love watches... don't we?
    That's why we never satisfy with just a single piece in our closet. Eventually, even if we get a 12pc watch box... we'll soon find ourselves getting another watch box or one with much bigger capacity.
    For some of us, who like autos more than quartz might get a watch winder or 2 or more depending on our collection volume or how precious or how expensive our piece may be...that's usually dependent on our budget as well.

I personally have coming close to 25 autos, with most Swiss movements and minor Japanese.
    The average power reserve of the Swiss movements are 40hrs, while we have about 2 days to interchange between 2 piece. And most Swiss autos may require us to wind up first to get the movement moving follows by shaking get the movement reach to its 40hrs power reserve level. While the Japanese just require us to shake it up to get the movements reaching to their 40hrs reserve...
    However, we can stop the moving seconds of the Swiss, but not most Japanese.

How do you store your treasures?
    Swiss movements-
    1. Wind up-> shake-> Hack?
    2. Shake-> Wind up-> Hack?
    3. Wind up-> leave it till it stops?
    4. Shake-> Wind up-> leave it till it stops?
    5. Must get a watch winder for each piece, regardless of the watch value?

Japanese movements-
    1. Shake it up-> leave it till it stops?
    2. Shake it up-> do it every single day?
    3. Must get a watch winder for each piece, regardless of the watch value?

I'm with the school of no winder.

Wind first usually.
    Would shake if it's a more robust watch.

Originally posted by Ed.YEO View Post
    We just love watches... don't we?
    That's why we never satisfy with just a single piece in our closet. Eventually, even if we get a 12pc watch box... we'll soon find ourselves getting another watch box or one with much bigger capacity.
    For some of us, who like autos more than quartz might get a watch winder or 2 or more depending on our collection volume or how precious or how expensive our piece may be...that's usually dependent on our budget as well.

I personally have coming close to 25 autos, with most Swiss movements and minor Japanese.
    The average power reserve of the Swiss movements are 40hrs, while we have about 2 days to interchange between 2 piece. And most Swiss autos may require us to wind up first to get the movement moving follows by shaking get the movement reach to its 40hrs power reserve level. While the Japanese just require us to shake it up to get the movements reaching to their 40hrs reserve...
    However, we can stop the moving seconds of the Swiss, but not most Japanese.

How do you store your treasures?
    Swiss movements-
    1. Wind up-> shake-> Hack?
    2. Shake-> Wind up-> Hack?
    3. Wind up-> leave it till it stops?
    4. Shake-> Wind up-> leave it till it stops?
    5. Must get a watch winder for each piece, regardless of the watch value?

Japanese movements-
    1. Shake it up-> leave it till it stops?
    2. Shake it up-> do it every single day?
    3. Must get a watch winder for each piece, regardless of the watch value?

Comment

i dont have many pieces. but what i do for those lesser used piece is to let them move once a month or so.

1. give it some winding.
      2. wear it for a few minutes around house.

that it. my idea is to move the oil in the movement a bit.
      a few minutes should be enough.
      no need wear until fully wound. no need hack. i leave the crown closed.

even few pieces, winders are too much for me.
      Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

My watches are mostly placed in a watch box and I only wind up the one I am going to wear. I do rotate (wearing) them periodically and with the few pieces I have, I do not use a watch winder.
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Yup, agree with Watcha.
          --> Wind --> Wear --> run down

Just to make sure the oil is evenly spread and doesn't pool or harden.

Comment

I just wind them once every 2 months for those watches that are not in my weekly rotation....

Currently wearing 1 watch for weekdays and 1 watch for weekends and 1 watch for travelling....
            Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X