Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lasik. Whose gone for it and what are your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasik. Whose gone for it and what are your thoughts?

Hi Bros,

Below are some of the information I collected in terms of costs for consultations and operation. Prices are accurate for Apr 2008.

Pls call them to re-confirm the prices as they may change without notice.

Finally decided to do it to get rid of the glasses for good.

Hope to share these information fellow forumers who are considering this option. Can save you the trouble to finding it urself.

Cheers.
    Attached Files

good info.... did considered for lasik.... but scared operation go wrong then i become blind...
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

I did mine with Eye Care (item 1) 3 years ago. *Touch Wood* So far so good.. But if you want reliable then try Jerry Tan.. he is quite well-known in this field but at a premium price I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by schumi View Post
        I did mine with Eye Care (item 1) 3 years ago. *Touch Wood* So far so good.. But if you want reliable then try Jerry Tan.. he is quite well-known in this field but at a premium price I believe.
        you only have two eyes, so paying premium is ok. actually, i would like to see more information in this field, since i am considering getting it done too.
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
          you only have two eyes, so paying premium is ok. actually, i would like to see more information in this field, since i am considering getting it done too.
          Paying a premium is fine...but most importantly you must feel comfortable with the surgeon and be confident of his skill when performing the operation.

I've talked to Jerry Tan's clinic and found that their fees are very high (ard 3k++ per eye). He also takes extreme precautions of doing only one eye per operation. I also know they provide tip-top service.

However, there are many good Lasik surgeons around in Singapore. Choose one that you are comfortable with in terms of budget and reputation.

It will be nice if forumers can share their experiences here.

Comment

Good info. Thanks for sharing
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

Originally posted by T<25 View Post
              Paying a premium is fine...but most importantly you must feel comfortable with the surgeon and be confident of his skill when performing the operation.

I've talked to Jerry Tan's clinic and found that their fees are very high (ard 3k++ per eye). He also takes extreme precautions of doing only one eye per operation. I also know they provide tip-top service.

However, there are many good Lasik surgeons around in Singapore. Choose one that you are comfortable with in terms of budget and reputation.

It will be nice if forumers can share their experiences here.

i agree paying a premium is fine but not paying BLINDLY.

my advice is never operate 2 eyes on the same day. why? simple, u have been using both eyes for so many eyes, if something were to happen to them in the worst case scenario, are you mentally prepared for the consequences? think last year, there were several news article about operation gone wrong. though numbers are not low compared to success rate, it is ur visual. so think carefully.

believing in the surgeon's skills is one. however, one must take note of the machine used. these machines need to go for periodic maintenence check and calibration. therefore, i would trust a machine that has operated on say 1000 pairs of eyes compared to one machine that has operated on say 200 pairs of eyes.

since you are going for ur treatment, i suggest u getting a good pair of sunglasses to protect them during the recovery period.

sidetrack a bit. one surgeon that operated on my friend's pairs of eyes is a watch collector @ SNEC.
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                i agree paying a premium is fine but not paying BLINDLY.

my advice is never operate 2 eyes on the same day. why? simple, u have been using both eyes for so many eyes, if something were to happen to them in the worst case scenario, are you mentally prepared for the consequences? think last year, there were several news article about operation gone wrong. though numbers are not low compared to success rate, it is ur visual. so think carefully.

believing in the surgeon's skills is one. however, one must take note of the machine used. these machines need to go for periodic maintenence check and calibration. therefore, i would trust a machine that has operated on say 1000 pairs of eyes compared to one machine that has operated on say 200 pairs of eyes.

since you are going for ur treatment, i suggest u getting a good pair of sunglasses to protect them during the recovery period.

sidetrack a bit. one surgeon that operated on my friend's pairs of eyes is a watch collector @ SNEC.
                of course not paying blindly, but you also wouldnt want to cut corners to save a few bucks only to lose it all later. if price is at about S$3k/eye, almost better to get done in Oz, since I will have after operation support.

but if s'pore price/technology is better then perth, i will come and do it in s'pore.
                Blue 6694
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

I had mine done

i had mine done 1 yr ago...paid around $4K for my eyes...did it at Singapore Lasik Centre at 13floor Paragon (gals there all damn chio..trust me)....my power then was over 1000 each eye...now i can see clearly....

a little discomfort during the op but nothing we guys can't handle...did my eyes at the same time and was given 1 week MC (see bei song)....first 2-3 days was a little uncomfortable (mine was epilasik) and i need to drip eyedrop every few hours....eyes blurry most of the time...went back after the 1 week MC, then the doc remove the plastic cover (to protect yr eyes)...i was able to see pretty clearly (but still have power left cos mine was very high)....the power gradually lowered over 2-3 months then now am left with like 25 per eye...

here's my procedure:

doc lasik the eye, flip over a transparent "skin" that covers your pupil (dunno what u call it) using a twiser, then he continue to lasik and i think he placed something on my pupil...then flip back the "skin", drip a eyedrop...youre're done....you'll then be asked to sit on a chair for half hour (with a plastic cover to protect yr eyes) before you leave the centre. both eyes done in 15 mins..

cheers

james
                  I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                  A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                  Audemars Piguet ROO
                  Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                  De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                  Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                  Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                  Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                  IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                  Panerai 270
                  Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                  Rolex 116610LV
                  Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
                    i had mine done 1 yr ago...paid around $4K for my eyes...did it at Singapore Lasik Centre at 13floor Paragon (gals there all damn chio..trust me)....my power then was over 1000 each eye...now i can see clearly....

a little discomfort during the op but nothing we guys can't handle...did my eyes at the same time and was given 1 week MC (see bei song)....first 2-3 days was a little uncomfortable (mine was epilasik) and i need to drip eyedrop every few hours....eyes blurry most of the time...went back after the 1 week MC, then the doc remove the plastic cover (to protect yr eyes)...i was able to see pretty clearly (but still have power left cos mine was very high)....the power gradually lowered over 2-3 months then now am left with like 25 per eye...

here's my procedure:

doc lasik the eye, flip over a transparent "skin" that covers your pupil (dunno what u call it) using a twiser, then he continue to lasik and i think he placed something on my pupil...then flip back the "skin", drip a eyedrop...youre're done....you'll then be asked to sit on a chair for half hour (with a plastic cover to protect yr eyes) before you leave the centre. both eyes done in 15 mins..

cheers

james
                    do you need to put eyedrops in your eyes everyday? i notice my auntie and uncle both need to put (lasik in s'pore, expats in beijing) eyedrops everyday and quite often (3x/day)

i just want to know whether it is environment since beijing air quite dirty.
                    Blue 6694
                    [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                      do you need to put eyedrops in your eyes everyday? i notice my auntie and uncle both need to put (lasik in s'pore, expats in beijing) eyedrops everyday and quite often (3x/day)

i just want to know whether it is environment since beijing air quite dirty.
                      the eye drops are meant to lubricate the eyes.

however, beijing got pretty bad air pollution so i would rather stay away from those polluted place for at least during the recovery stage
                      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                      2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Did mine at National Eye Centre 2 yrs ago. Paid abt 3k for the whole procedure. No problems so far!
                        I would recommend anyone who is contemplating Lasik to go for it...well worth it, no more struggling with glasses or contact lenses...
                        My Collection
                        Pam 196
                        Pam 23
                        Pam 187
                        Rolex Explorer II "Polar Bear"
                        Corum Black Hull 48
                        AP Royal Oak Offshore Titanium

Wishlist
                        Pam 233
                        AP Bumblebee

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                          the eye drops are meant to lubricate the eyes.

however, beijing got pretty bad air pollution so i would rather stay away from those polluted place for at least during the recovery stage
                          thanks triton. just clarify, so need to put eye drop daily? or no need.

i only ever go to bj twice, and shanghai once, both air quite polluted, but nice cities nonetheless.
                          i guess during recovery stage cannot go to environment that is too dusty for obvious reasons.

Originally posted by fongwk76 View Post
                          Did mine at National Eye Centre 2 yrs ago. Paid abt 3k for the whole procedure. No problems so far!
                          I would recommend anyone who is contemplating Lasik to go for it...well worth it, no more struggling with glasses or contact lenses...
                          good to hear no problems, i also contemplating on whether to do or not. my auntie who got it done, say she regret doing as eyes quite painful and need drops everyday, but i hear some people say no problem. so like all things in life YMMV.

glasses so troublesome.... every year need to buy and somemore contacts drop in the basin, cannot see and playing fishing game

btw has anyone hear about the contact lens that deform the cornea. i go home and find the link. it is like wearing normal contact lens, but it shape your eye so no need to wear glasses and contacts. so if i want to go out and play sports tomorrow, i wear the lens tonight and by tomorrow morning, it is all fine.
                          Blue 6694
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Hi everyone,

Just sharing my thoughts as I am working for an America Opthalmic company with Lasik and other eye care equipment.

Choosing a good surgeon is very important. Need to take into consideration of pre-check and after-surgery review/follow-up services provided. Do not choose lasik operation/package based on cost, as you only have 2 eyes.

Some packages are cheaper because they use microkeratome for creating a cornea flap instead of Intralase femto-second laser. The latter, uses laser to create a flap while microkeratome uses a blade to open a flap. Advantages of the Intralase is that the thickness of the flap will be more consistent compared to flap cut using a blade etc....

Epilasik is usually recommended for people with very high myopia. The cornea may not have enough thickness for shaping, so the epi cell at the top is "pushed" to one side before lasik. This process take longer time to heal.

Another option is to insert IOL (Lens) either clipping them on to your pupils or placed at the chambers to correct the vision.

Comment

thanks for the insight. good advice for those considering eye surgery.

Originally posted by Nocturne View Post
                              Hi everyone,

Just sharing my thoughts as I am working for an America Opthalmic company with Lasik and other eye care equipment.

Choosing a good surgeon is very important. Need to take into consideration of pre-check and after-surgery review/follow-up services provided. Do not choose lasik operation/package based on cost, as you only have 2 eyes.

Some packages are cheaper because they use microkeratome for creating a cornea flap instead of Intralase femto-second laser. The latter, uses laser to create a flap while microkeratome uses a blade to open a flap. Advantages of the Intralase is that the thickness of the flap will be more consistent compared to flap cut using a blade etc....

Epilasik is usually recommended for people with very high myopia. The cornea may not have enough thickness for shaping, so the epi cell at the top is "pushed" to one side before lasik. This process take longer time to heal.

Another option is to insert IOL (Lens) either clipping them on to your pupils or placed at the chambers to correct the vision.

kindly email with
                              2. your nick

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X