Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #$&! you Windows 7

Guys,
    I need some advice on my PC that is using Windows 7 Home Edition. It's been running perfectly well for the past year when for some odd reason, during the past 1 month, it crashes whenever the computer is booted up from a cold start. It only happens during Windows loading or after a couple of minutes after loading.

I can't take it any more. It's #$%!ing me off!

I have to perform a hard reset holding down the power button for a few seconds. After re-booting, it seems to be OK for the rest of the day.

What gives? What can I check to see what is causing this?

NOTE. No new peripherals have ever been added since the day it was bought. Could it be one of the Windows updates that caused it or a new software conflict?

is there any anti-virus loaded? anti-spam etc.

recently, there is a mini security breach in my office network apparently from email coming through yahoo mail. malware are getting smarter.

office machine comes with anti-virus, anti-spam, malware protection as well.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Norton 360 has been installed from day 1, but I'll double (no triple) check it for any suspicious malware anyway.

Thanks Triton.

Comment

if there is no new s/w and/or h/w installed. there could be a slight chance that either memory has issue or worse, hdd experiencing bad sectors. would suggest you do diagnostic test on h/w especially hdd.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Probably power supply issue. When you cold boot, the power supply undergoes a spike in demand in order to fire up all the devices. The load on the PSU stabilizes after booting. That's why the soft reboot (reset) seems to cure the issue.

Comment

ah. thanks for the power supply hint.

Originally posted by sdchew View Post
            Probably power supply issue. When you cold boot, the power supply undergoes a spike in demand in order to fire up all the devices. The load on the PSU stabilizes after booting. That's why the soft reboot (reset) seems to cure the issue.

kindly email with
            2. your nick

Comment

i remember my motherboard caps were bulging that caused instability issues too! if you are going to be changing out the psu, maybe do a quick visual check on the motherboard too.

if any of your caps look like this:

means not a good sign.
              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
              Blue 6694
              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to see what I can do to check the PSU. Capacitors seem to be alight though.
                Problem is getting worse now. Now having to boot 2 - 3 times to get it to stabilise. Now also doing it after it's been hibernating!

Comment

Too me it sound like your HDD is dying. I have this problem with one of my old PC in work place also.

Comment

Originally posted by kenlinliu1419 View Post
                    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to see what I can do to check the PSU. Capacitors seem to be alight though.
                    Problem is getting worse now. Now having to boot 2 - 3 times to get it to stabilise. Now also doing it after it's been hibernating!
                    few years back, those were the exact symptoms that i had. my problem was a dodgy psu, and subsequent bulging caps on my motherboard. that time i didnt know cheap psu was not good ended up frying my mobo. these days, i only go for proper psu to avoid the same mistake.
                    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                    Blue 6694
                    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X