Quite Disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quite Disappointed

Today, I received a call that my Seiko watch was ready for collection. I was looking forward to it. However, I did not buy as the watch has a little dent on the bezel. I was extremely disappointed, not because the watch was dented, but the irresponsibility of the shop owner.

I know him as a reliable dealer, thus I arranged with him to bring in my 1st Seiko timepiece. But the way his explanation was quite crappy. He told me the dent was due to the original mould, which I disagreed. I felt he should take back the watch immediately and helped me to see whether can get another brand new piece. But he told me the watch was just merely a few hundreds, so should not be so choosy. And he was trying to rush me to pay the deal.

I felt otherwise. No doubt the watch is a few hundreds, as compared to my Rolexes, but I felt it should be treated with respect. Would you buy the watch if you were me? Let's put it on another perspective. If a new shirt has a little hole, would you buy? I feel the point is not the cost, but the right of a buyer. I shouldn't buy if the watch is faulty, though it's a small fault.

Actually, I felt worse, as I had asked him to bring in the watch. But I just couldn't accept the watch if it's faulty. What I can do now is to wait for his news to help me to find a replacement. But I have a feeling, the watch would not be changed. What should I do?

first i would like to find out if the piece is a JDM model?

personally, i feel that if it is a brand new piece, the watch should be as perfect as possible. if the shop owner/dealer claims that it is due to the original mould, then i would suggest that you go to another dealer to see if there is the watch you intend to buy and see if there is a dent @ the same spot. if it is then it can be confirm that the fault lies in the mould.

since you cannot accept the fault on the watch, then you should not buy the watch. if it is some other brand, i might accept the 'fault' if it is not a well known brand with high production numbers. with seiko, there is a certain level of expectation on the quality of the watch produced.

as mentioned, you ask the dealer to bring in this watch specially for you. hopefully the dealer can bring a replacement piece for oyu.

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
    He told me the dent was due to the original mould, which I disagreed. I felt he should take back the watch immediately and helped me to see whether can get another brand new piece. But he told me the watch was just merely a few hundreds, so should not be so choosy. And he was trying to rush me to pay the deal.

I felt otherwise. No doubt the watch is a few hundreds, as compared to my Rolexes, but I felt it should be treated with respect. Would you buy the watch if you were me? Let's put it on another perspective. If a new shirt has a little hole, would you buy? I feel the point is not the cost, but the right of a buyer. I shouldn't buy if the watch is faulty, though it's a small fault.

Actually, I felt worse, as I had asked him to bring in the watch. But I just couldn't accept the watch if it's faulty. What I can do now is to wait for his news to help me to find a replacement. But I have a feeling, the watch would not be changed. What should I do?
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Seiko have high QC control...i do not buy the story of the dent is there due to the mould or wad....so very doubtful to me...name the dealer if possible as i will avoid him or her or the shop at all costs in the future....

The attitude and in the face lies are way too much man!!
      Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Yes, it's a JDM, as I hope to get the one that's made in japan. I do see this piece from other shops, but not JDM. I feel that Seiko is like equivalent to Japan's "Rolex", so I hope my 1st piece is made in japan, rather than "assembled in HK etc.".

I do like this piece and I do hope the shop owner (shouldn't be called dealer, as I think he's just a simple watch shop owner, selling watches like Casio, Seiko etc.) can help me to get another replacement with the wholesaler or dealer. I am quite soft-hearted. I did think of just buy it as I felt like I was betraying him of not buying. But I just couldn't accept the watch is faulty (as most watch lovers are very particular with watches) and the fact is he seems like pushing the deal and commenting that the watch is only "a few hundreds". To me, it's not the cost, but the attitude. He didn't acknowledge the watch's condition. But as I know him for many years, I do feel quite bad. I guess it will be a sleepless night for me. :-(

Originally posted by triton View Post
        first i would like to find out if the piece is a JDM model?

personally, i feel that if it is a brand new piece, the watch should be as perfect as possible. if the shop owner/dealer claims that it is due to the original mould, then i would suggest that you go to another dealer to see if there is the watch you intend to buy and see if there is a dent @ the same spot. if it is then it can be confirm that the fault lies in the mould.

since you cannot accept the fault on the watch, then you should not buy the watch. if it is some other brand, i might accept the 'fault' if it is not a well known brand with high production numbers. with seiko, there is a certain level of expectation on the quality of the watch produced.

as mentioned, you ask the dealer to bring in this watch specially for you. hopefully the dealer can bring a replacement piece for oyu.

Comment

Thanks, glad to know Seiko has high QC control. I feel it shouldn't be the mould as this piece has many variations. I think the dent is caused by someone. It may be an unintentional knock as it's quite small, but visible even with naked eye. I mean this model has many models. If it's the mould, then it should appear on other pieces. Actually, there is another similar model on his showcase, which I didn't want to verify, as I knew if I was right, it would make him embarrassed. In any case, I just hope he could sincerely help me to get another replacement, but from the way he's replying, I felt otherwise.

Sorry if I had confused the readers. I think he's not a dealer, he's just a typical watch shop owner, selling brands like Seiko, Casio etc. I think he also gets his watches from dealers or wholesalers.

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
          Seiko have high QC control...i do not buy the story of the dent is there due to the mould or wad....so very doubtful to me...name the dealer if possible as i will avoid him or her or the shop at all costs in the future....

The attitude and in the face lies are way too much man!!

Comment

Still the attitude and the mentality of the shop owner irks me if i am in your shoes...

This kind of attitude if i ever encounter i will simply walk off and never go back there regardless what kind of rare watches or good prices.

That is for me...luckily so far no watch shops treat me like a watch idiot til now....what kind of nonsense he sprouted...

i always prove my point with my wallet...i buy where i am treated rightly...not just for the prices...
            Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

You are not doing the wrong thing so shouldn't feel bad about it. Yes, there is a certain obligation on your part to purchase the watch as agreed but it comes with a defect. A defect that you do not and should not accept for whatever reason it is. Just be firm about it and let the person know of your stand. It need not be impolite, just firm. Hope things turn out right for you.

Good luck!
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

since u know the owner for a few years, he should not bluff u abt the condition.
                the fault in the mould excuse is not acceptable. true friendship should not be this way, instead he must help u find a really gd condition watch for u or come 'clean' abt the dent. like saying, "it was like this when i bought it" or "this is the best i can find at this moment"
                i feel he is just taking advantage of your friendship, to make u buy a sub par watch. even if he cant find a better model, im sure he can sell the watch to someone else too. since he own a shop.
                so imo, dun buy something u not comfortable with. just tel him sorry, i cannnot accept the dent, or just buy him coffee.

Comment

since it's only few hundreds like what he said...i'm sure the owner can afford to "keep" the watch. i wont take the watch if i'm you.
                  I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                  A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                  Audemars Piguet ROO
                  Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                  De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                  Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                  Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                  Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                  IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                  Panerai 270
                  Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                  Rolex 116610LV
                  Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

For sure, I will not take it unless the dealer offer some discount. I'm sure most watchmaker do have high standard of QC control, the dent may due to some point before it reach you after leaving the manufacturer..

Comment

if not happy with the watch presented to you; dont buy! trust me, buying something you dont like will bug you to no end.
                      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                      Blue 6694
                      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X