incident with amsterdam customs regarding rolex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• incident with amsterdam customs regarding rolex

hi all. as some of you know i am currently in europe. i had an experience at the amsterdam airport customs. a nightmare to be precise.

i was wearing 2 watches (on different hands) as i had no pouch or boxes for travel. one is a PAM sub that i wear daily and a datejust (A series) that i will be wearing for my girlfriend's graduation ceremony (cant wear a PAM sub with a suit).

everything was smooth until i reached amsterdam customs. i already cleared the scanners and have arrived at the declaration points. an officer approached me to ask if i had anything to declare. being a 22 year-old student, i was cautious and preferred to ask before replying. so i asked "like what do i have to declare?". He said cigarettes and alcohol. i said i had none of those and was asked to have a physical bag check. He noticed my watch and asked if that was a rolex. i said yes, and let the extortion begin.

i was told there and then that i had to pay tax for the rolex. and was quoted 19% tax on value of my watch. i felt that was ridiculous. i was told to wait until their superior arrived. they only came back to me FIVE MINUTES before my flight to helsinki. and gave me 2 options. pay 400€ in taxes now, or fill up a formal report and leave the watch here until i leave EU. i said i choose the latter, as i dont think paying $800 taxes for a datejust was very clever. but i did ask what will happen if i report it and leave it in their vault. they assured me i didn't have to pay anything.

back in the office, they filled up a report, entirely in dutch. and asked me to sign it. after signing it, they told me that even if i leave it in their vault, i still have to pay taxes when collecting it when i leave the EU. i then decided to call the singapore embassy in rotterdam. they adviced me not to do anything before they call me back. the custom officers, however, forced me to procced with the hearing without giving me the option of waiting for a response from my embassy first. i was then told that i would receive a fine, ON TOP OF THE TAX. all of which i was not told beforehand. they also threatened me and pressured me to sign those documents which i had no idea contained what. eg. "if you dont sign this now, we will go to the rolex boutique in this airport and charge you tax based on brand new price.", "sign it now or we will even use full gold price to tax you!", "we can keep you here longer and make you miss all flights out". stuff like that.

finally the singapore embassy called back and told me to lawyer up. i called my mom and she begged me to just pay what they want first and get the hell out of there. to her my safety was most important. i agreed to pay them what they demanded (a final sum of approximately 1k sgd) and made it out of that office after being detained for 5 hours. the officer took me to the airline desk to get a new ticket, WHISPERED SOMETHING IN DUTCH TO THE AIRLINE CLERK, and i was on the next flight out to helsinki. BUT my luggage was on the LAST MIDNIGHT FLIGHT OUT. i reached helsinki at 5 on thursday. i only got my luggage at 12pm on monday.

advice i need from fellow bros are:
    1. is my A series DJ taxable? isn't it a personal item and not considered an import?
    2. what should i have done instead?
    3. what would u bros have done if u were me?
    4. what actions should i take now?

lastly, im very grateful to bros wees and triton for giving me advice when i was in distress. might not have helped much but i very much appreciated the support thru this ordeal.

Sorry to hear that bro....I travel with one watch on the hand and a spare in my hand carry. The rolex on the hand and the other in hand carry...not the other way round. And never both rolex. That's just me.

Rolex are very sensitive items in many places...like wearing more than 1 into States and wearing out of some EU countries. They either want to tax you (if real) or fine you (if fake). In fake, they don't care so much with Pam and Patek. Seems only rolex!

In Paris, I wad wearing the latest all black jersey and the French police was not happy (maybe cos I was not wearing the French jersey)... Ask me to take off so that they can check tags to see if it's fake! Could also be they think we are from China!

Comment

Sorry to hear that too. It's really a upset and anger event.
      First it's an old model. Also usually people are buying out of Europe for tax claim to states.
      Not the other way round. They only bring in fakes to eu not real.

Really pain in the a** . Dutch french Italian Spanish ...
      Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

all i can say is WTF?! sounds like an ass of a customs officer.

i wouldnt have paid up the money, rather sit there and wait for the embassy to call back.

in hindsight, wearing two watches would have been a bad idea. having one in the hand carry would be better.
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

pardon them. most Eu countries are surviving in 21th century on 20th century's wealth plundered from asia. the global transfer of wealth is just unidirectional now, regardless what fortress or barrier they erect to slow the rate of deteriation and to protect their countries...

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
          Sorry to hear that too. It's really a upset and anger event.
          First it's an old model. Also usually people are buying out of Europe for tax claim to states.
          Not the other way round. They only bring in fakes to eu not real.

Really pain in the a** . Dutch french Italian Spanish ...
          Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
          Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
          GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
          GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
          DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
          DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
          , 18238 malachite
          DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
          AP 15300 Black
          Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
          GP 18k RG
          IWC Port 3714 Chrono
          Chronoswiss Skeleton
          Corum Bubble Lucifer

Comment

yeah. i felt like i was robbed. was helpless. couldn't do much but just conform blindly. the reason why i didn't put it in my hand carry was cos i didnt have a pouch/box. and i felt safer with it on my wrist as my hand carry can still be accessed by anyone on the plane while im asleep. but u guys are right. wearing 2 was probably a bad idea. and bro kck ure right. they didnt even take another look at my pam. even though technically it is of a higher value. they just wanted to suck me dry via my rolex.

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
              all i can say is WTF?! sounds like an ass of a customs officer.

i wouldnt have paid up the money, rather sit there and wait for the embassy to call back.

in hindsight, wearing two watches would have been a bad idea. having one in the hand carry would be better.
              i thought my embassy could do something too. but when they finally called back, they just told me to lawyer up. there was nothing they could do to help.

Comment

i read here http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...index_en.htm#a that only items in luggage can be taxed. that means personal item on my body itself cannot be taxed? am i understanding this correctly?

Comment

What kind of embassy is that??

Pay them to enjoy life overseas? Leave the ka Kia to say sorry can't do anything while they enjoy the diplomat life.
                  Go ball go high tea go funtion. Read some script once a while?

Concentrate on building "relationship" . Helping citizen have no economic nor kpi value I guess.
                  Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by redneckk View Post
                    i read here http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...index_en.htm#a that only items in luggage can be taxed. that means personal item on my body itself cannot be taxed? am i understanding this correctly?
                    some cases are not worth pursuing. i think this is one of them as there may not be much you can do to get your money back...

you can approach their embassy in singapore (is there one?) to seek recourse but i would take this as a lesson learned.

it's not too expensive a lesson... given the circumstance... be warned that it can also happen in the USA.
                    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

i am well travelled for someone my age, but ive never seen this kinda sh*t before. even in bali where i expected customs to be major asses (esp on aussie passport).
                      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                      Blue 6694
                      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                        some cases are not worth pursuing. i think this is one of them as there may not be much you can do to get your money back...

you can approach their embassy in singapore (is there one?) to seek recourse but i would take this as a lesson learned.

it's not too expensive a lesson... given the circumstance... be warned that it can also happen in the USA.
                        true. i want to pursue but i dont know if its a good idea. yes, i do feel pain that my money just "fly away" like that, so to speak. and i also feel justice has to be done. but there's nothing much one chinese boy can do in a foreign country so far away from home. so i should just swallow it and be more careful in future? just emailed the singapore consulate though, hope they give a better reply than "LAWYER UP".

Comment

Originally posted by redneckk View Post
                          true. i want to pursue but i dont know if its a good idea. yes, i do feel pain that my money just "fly away" like that, so to speak. and i also feel justice has to be done. but there's nothing much one chinese boy can do in a foreign country so far away from home. so i should just swallow it and be more careful in future? just emailed the singapore consulate though, hope they give a better reply than "LAWYER UP".
                          Ya bro. Take it as lesson learnt. To prevent this from happening again, call ten10 immediate upon return and get a watch pouch. Meantime, enjoy your stay there.
                          Those police know nuts about watch value.....they only know how to suck money when they see 5 sticks!

Comment

Did they issue you with a receipt for the tax paid? Check with a lawyer to see if they have any right to tax you. If not, make a complaint with the photocopy of the receipt and names of custom officers dealing with you. On the other hand, in many countries, custom do have the right to charge taxes on ANY goods (esp. luxury goods) if no invoice can be shown (to show tax is being paid)... so good luck...

Comment

Sorry to hear of your predicament

Hey bro redneckk, i feel for you and know what you've gone thru'

If it makes you any better, swing by my place when you're back and i'll pass you this watch pouch. I know it doesn't replace the money you've 'lost' but a consolation from me. It's on me lah.

This pouch holds one watch, a watch tool and a spare strap. Hope this helps you next time you travel. Watch + tool + strap not included.

Don't let this incident dampen your holiday. Put this behind you and enjoy your time there.

cheers!
                              Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
                              • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
                              • Montre de MarQue
                              • Etoile D'Or
                              • Hotel Indonesia
                              • Glory Time
                              • The Watch-Collector
                              • Time Palace
                              • The Swiss Connection
                              • M Baker
                              • Maurice Lacroix
                              • Time Marques
                              • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X