journey of wanting to buy a watch that did not materialise part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• journey of wanting to buy a watch that did not materialise part II

guess what. my quest for the watch continued after a short break.

one of the lessons learnt from previous seller - make sure seller has watch

now, i found the seller who has the watch. in fact, this seller has 2 pieces. i am not sure if this seller has a shop front. maybe have, maybe dont have. one of the local shops who is selling the watch i wanted quoted me price X. this seller quote me X + few hundred dollars more.

not sure what this seller is thinking. how can quote so high? if no shop, price should be lower than the shop who quote me. so i contacted the seller to check if price is negotiable. seller say can lower. quote me a price that is matching the shop.

to me it does not make sense still. if i buy from this seller, if there is any issues with the watch, i am on my own. if the price the seller quote me is X - couple of hundred, i will take the risk. the savings is enough to entice me. but now, the price is same, i might as well go to the shop to buy.

i then quoted the seller a price of Y which is couple of hundred above the last price from the seller in my previous thread. seller responded say no. price X is firm

after another week, this seller has yet to sell either of the 2 pieces. by now, the seller posted a message with price negotiable. so i contacted the seller if the price is negotiable. guess what? he say he willing to meet my previous buying price which is Y.

i inform the seller that i was no longer interested to buy the watch. this is because the price difference between this seller and the shop is 200. for 200, i know that if the watch has any issues, i can go to the shop and get the shop to handle any issues for me. with this online seller, i am litereally on my own. if the online wants to help, it will be great. if not, for 200. i rather go to shop and buy.

the purpose of this post is to share couple of things

1) do your own homework before buying regardless whether buying from online or physical shop

2) be patient. never rush

3) decide the amount of savings you get that is enough to swing you to get from a PI.

enjoy the journey in buying the watch.

i hope there wont be part III.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Thanks.

Very good advice.

After some watches n losses I tell myself to go slow.

Missed just wait for next deal. Not good enough just wait.

Many private/pi are selling near or above shop price.
    So yup better get from shop for 200 difference.
    Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Good Advice, thanks for sharing.
      Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

great advise and nicely said. the journey to buy a watch is not always a smooth one as shown time and time again.
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

there is one thing i always fail. And that is PATIENT. i always loiter in china square every sunday. sometimes some collectors appears infront of u n tell u they would like to sell off their watches. some would asked for a price above market rates. some watches u just can't resist your temptation that urged u to buy above market rates or else others will grab it.

i learnt from many failures n hard way till my friends taught me:
          1. When interesting piece appears b4 u, be cool dun panic, urge or itch.
          2. Listen to his offer price, then code your price that u want to buy. If seller turns away to walk around n ask price, do NOT follow! Stay put where u ARE! (coz seller somtimes need to relist their watch fast when they need cash.
          3. When they comes back to u, u give them a additional $100-$200, just to make them happy, they would sell to u.

Comment

oops! watches i refered r easy to let go n not above 2k. Can't imagine sellers bringing roger dubios, richard mille, patek, vacheron to china square central to sell fast cash! either they end up dropping the watch or stolen. haha....

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
              guess what. my quest for the watch continued after a short break.
              i inform the seller that i was no longer interested to buy the watch. this is because the price difference between this seller and the shop is 200. for 200, i know that if the watch has any issues, i can go to the shop and get the shop to handle any issues for me. with this online seller, i am litereally on my own. if the online wants to help, it will be great. if not, for 200. i rather go to shop and buy.

the purpose of this post is to share couple of things

1) do your own homework before buying regardless whether buying from online or physical shop
              i think it's also important to note that... while two watches may be of the same model, their condition might differ slightly and it would be wise to take the time to check both out and decide which one is in better shape.

that in itself, may justify a cost difference. however if all things were equal, it would be wise to heed triton's words to the T.

if i may quote a friend from TRF:

"Fine Quality is Long Remembered After the Pain of Spending Money is Forgotten"

these are just watches. don't get too stressed out by it.
              “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

both are said to be BNIB

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                i think it's also important to note that... while two watches may be of the same model, their condition might differ slightly and it would be wise to take the time to check both out and decide which one is in better shape.

that in itself, may justify a cost difference. however if all things were equal, it would be wise to heed triton's words to the T.

if i may quote a friend from TRF:

"Fine Quality is Long Remembered After the Pain of Spending Money is Forgotten"

these are just watches. don't get too stressed out by it.
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

i just found out that the seller is selling the watch @ a price even lower than i last quote. how strange indeed. if the seller had taken up my offer previously, the seller would have made more money.

how strange indeed. however, now i am no longer interested to deal with this seller for this watch.

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

Comment

Strange seller and strange buyer...
                    Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
                    Future - Geneva hallmark
                    Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

why strange? because i not getting from this seller?

Originally posted by dennistwc View Post
                      Strange seller and strange buyer...

kindly email with
                      2. your nick

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X