Is Singapore a scam city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Singapore a scam city?

I was browsing in eBay and saw a watch shop in Hawaii stating the below in their product sale thread...

Auction Policy: Because these watches are also sold in store at Honolulu Time Service, we have the right to close the auction at anytime. We will not accept auction bidders from Indonesia, Singapore, & other scams! First time bidders need to contact first.

My concern is why has Singapore listed as example of scam? Is this worrying?

I do quite a bit of online shopping and a lot of retailers refuse to ship to SG despite my payment assurance. They cited this region have a lot of online scammers. SG is one of it. Sad but true...
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Comment

and all these while, I was the one worrying that I will be scammed. Never knew we had a "scam" reputation... how sad.
      I want a 116505!

Comment

cos in country got too many rojak. alot of foreigners using singapore as a stepping stone now.

Comment

Originally posted by voltshin View Post
          cos in country got too many rojak. alot of foreigners using singapore as a stepping stone now.
          "Foreign talent" u mean....
          Those who care won't need your explanation, those who need explanation probably won't believe you

Comment

not surprising... depends on payment method also. if paypal/credit card, definitely proceed with caution. on the other hand, wire the money to them, they may allow special order/shipment.
            [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
            [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
            Blue 6694
            Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
            [U]"My collection"[/U]:
            [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

This discovery is new to me cos I have always had no problem dealing (maybe cos I mostly deal with a few people I already know thru friends). I even had a seller from France who sent me rolex glass and bezels even before I wire money.

Comment

now you mentioned.

I do recall some online stores does not ship to SG.

Is it because SG have a "safe city" reputation resulting scammers like to use SG.
                Resulting the scam city reputation?
                Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

I tried emailing a few suspicious 'singapore' sellers and offer to deal face to face locally. Guess what, they give excuse that they are now overseas and ask to wire 50% deposit. These people...I suspect are not even Singapore sellers are destroying our reputation!

Comment

last time, people tell me never to wire through western union because of fraud. then i made use of paypal. it was a safe heaven. why? because paypal offers a form of protection for both buyer and sellers. then i realize there is a loop hole in the system to scam.

the thing with online transaction is that you may never know who you are dealing. i can be in europe and tell people that i am in singapore. how are you going to trace? with ebay, at least there is reference check, a feedback is always useful. however, many people dont bother. why?

some feel that it is not useful.

other feel that you can have 10 good feedback and 1 bad feedback will ruin your reputation. however, i beg to differ. feedback is used as a reference point. one has to 'read' the feedback given objectively. system is in place to help buyers and sellers. but you need take it upon yourself to do more than just rely on the feedback given.

many buyers let their guard down the moment they feel that this seller is trustworthy. always stay vigilant. for any items purchased,
                    1. always ask for item to be taken with current newspapers. that is to show that the seller indeed has the item.
                    2. use feedback section (if available) to do more checks on the seller.
                    3. find the paying system aka anything that can protect buyer first.
                    4. request for signed off for item. this will mean that buyer is the only one that can receive. seller will also know the item has been signed off.
                    5. pay for insurance whenever necessary.
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X