Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharing my experience of purchasing a watch

hi all,

just an update on the conclusion of the 6694 silver dial i acquired from a fellow forum memberrecently.

i eventually paid 2200 for the watch complete with box(original inner and outer box) & papers. some of you may know that i purchased another 6694 previously @ 2200 from another member.

only difference was the previous watch comes serviced and all in good condition. an authentication from RSC indicated that the watch is original and no servicing is required. according to RSC, the current one acquired is

1) in need of servicing
    2) minute hand has to be replaced as it was bent.
    3) one of the pins in the bracelet is broken
    4) crystal is cracked
    :
    :

total repair and servicing cost - $615.

called the seller. seller agreed to replace minute hand and extra links. items will be mailed over. i suggested to meet in town as i stay and work east, however seller wanted me to go to sun plaza to collect instead.

few days later the items arrived wrapped in contained properly.

however, link provided is slightly scratched. replacement hands lum is in wrong color. black instead of gray.

decided not to get back to seller because i expected a PROFESSIONAL seller to know the products being sold and provide the RIGHT replacement. this was because all the communication was done on the day itself.

i stressed that it is my choice not to get back to seller to seek alternative replacement, as im pretty tied up with work this week and not sure if i got the time to meet the seller. at one stage, i even thought of asking for refund. , but too late liao.

my advice/thoughts for those embarking on the journey to collect 6694

1) when you collect watch and before handing over the cash, inspect the watch carefully. if you DO NOT like the condition of the watch, do not buy. REMEMBER that the moment you hand over the cash, buyer DOES NOT HAVE the right to ask for refund or money back.

2) after the repair, this watch would have cost me about 2500. which is a tad high a price to pay for a 6694. do remember that aftermarket dial of 6694 without box and papers can be secured between 1200-1600. so if a proper serviced is done it would cost about 300. add in box and papers, 2200-2300 should be a reasonable price *IMHO*

now that i have 2, should i embark on the journey to collect another 2 more color dials aka the black and blue?
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Oh dear...

Sorry 2 hear tat bro... Sympathise with you that all these "flaws". Being said, the seller SHOULD know that these are incorrect and should have been transparent about it.. I did say give the seller the benefit of the doubt. He did so by apologising BUT at the same time after you shared yr experience, I now feel that he was being unprofessional and should have been HONEST about all these

Well Triton, all I can say about your experience AND your principals.. Athough we talked a few times and met at the Anniversary,I think you are a perfect GENTLEMAN in handling this issue.
    I know that you do not wish to bring forward the issue further and blamed yrself for this 'improper' 6694. I respect that and I think you are a guy with a BIG heart! But the rightful thing should be done by the seller was to RECTIFY these short-coming AND set it right. Like I said, all these MUST be mentioned when the watch was put up for sale.....

Bro, got more than 2 lobang for 6694, let me know.. very very curious about this... I could use with your experience when I were to get my hands on one myself if the opportunity arises.

Experience is a MEAN teacher... I think many benefited from yr unfortunate experience and we are glad you shared it with us....
    Last edited by jazz_samz; 20-08-08, 05:34 PM.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
    - GMT II
    - GMT IIc TT
    - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
    - Master Eight Days (1608420)
    - U1
    - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

forgot to mention, i did not abide my principle - let the watch come to you.

as such i can only blame myself for paying a higher price as this is meant for wife's birthday. kan cheong. scared time running out as next month her birthday.

btw, if you want to get ur hands on one, give me a ring.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
      2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
        forgot to mention, i did not abide my principle - let the watch come to you.

as such i can only blame myself for paying a higher price as this is meant for wife's birthday. kan cheong. scared time running out as next month her birthday.

btw, if you want to get ur hands on one, give me a ring.
        Sad to hear that...

Hahah..you la see watch pee then gian!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

never check properly lah..and dun buy my chronoswiss lah...

anyway, it's a closed chapter so we'll now help u find the other 2 watches...

but i wld expect the seller to be transparent and highlight the flaws of the watch (cracked crystal is serious and how the hell the hands got dented)

buy u coffee as consolation lah when we meet again..

cheers

james
          I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
          A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
          Audemars Piguet ROO
          Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
          De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
          Habring2 Pilot Time Date
          Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
          Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
          IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
          Panerai 270
          Patek Philippe 5711/1a
          Rolex 116610LV
          Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

actually when i brought it to RSC, i ask them to check also. that is how i know the full condition of the watch.

help me find and i buy you coffee. confirm must have box and papers.

no idea how the hand got dented also.

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
            never check properly lah..and dun buy my chronoswiss lah...

anyway, it's a closed chapter so we'll now help u find the other 2 watches...

but i wld expect the seller to be transparent and highlight the flaws of the watch (cracked crystal is serious and how the hell the hands got dented)

buy u coffee as consolation lah when we meet again..

cheers

james

kindly email with
            2. your nick

Comment

we cannot discount the possibility. but it is no fault of seller as i did not ask when was the watch last serviced. im bringing out my experience to share so that other will know what to look for when buying watches especially pre-own ones.

Originally posted by roosterkkk
              Out of curiosity:
              Did it occur to you guys that the seller (Professional or not) may not know the details. The seller may not be a Professional and he could very well be a 3rd party seller.
              In fact, I wont be surprise if a Buyer is more knowledgeable than the Seller..

Links slightly scratched, hands lum - black instead of gray are details only Professional look into.

Nevertheless, my sympathies to Triton... nice to learn that you are a True Gentleman.. Enjoy your 6694... Happy birthday to your wife..

kindly email with
              2. your nick

Comment

Triton,

sorry to hear of your predicament man. good of you to share this experience tho for the benfit of others.

ive had some buyers here PM me asking me detailed questions about the watches after they have bought from various sellers. [im kind enuff to entertain when have the time, could have just 'bor chap' the PM since im not in any way involved with the transactions]

things ranging from the watch does not match the picture......
                seller uses nice pictures from the web, actual watch dial is different, questions about the movement that seller cant tell you etc etc.....and the list goes on.

its always caveat emptor when it comes to pre-owned sales.
                you should do the homework b4 u buy is the golden rule.

perhaps its a learning curve also like the rest fo life.
                ive bought some dud watches in my time too previously

meantime, chin up .... what's the next target heh heh

PS: in all fairness, its not always about the sellers ....some buyers are totally off the wall with requests and terms+conditions. but thats another discussions for another thread and another day

Comment

Alamak I went to bid for his black 6694! Siao liao la... Like that means I got to go thru' the same set of problems you'd faced ah Kidding la. Dun think I can bid win for that kinda' price.

Cheer up!
                  The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                    Alamak I went to bid for his black 6694! Siao liao la... Like that means I got to go thru' the same set of problems you'd faced ah Kidding la. Dun think I can bid win for that kinda' price.

Cheer up!
                    Doesnt mean you will meet the same problems as he met..maybe more maybe less...we dunno man

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Wah, gotta spend two over thousand dollars to gamble ah ! Scary liao le..
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Thanks for sharing this experience with all of us. Will definitely help us alot in dealing with PI... Enjoy ur new purhase n hope ur wife will be happy with her gift. Cheers..

Comment

Who is the seller????????
                          There is a very fine line between this "hobby" and "mental illness."

Look on the wife's face when VISA bill arrived, Priceless!!!!

Comment

for obvious reasons, it is not disclosed, but with a simple search, one will have a very good idea
                            [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                            [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                            Blue 6694
                            Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                            [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                            [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                              for obvious reasons, it is not disclosed, but with a simple search, one will have a very good idea

oh........ I'm so forgetful....
                              There is a very fine line between this "hobby" and "mental illness."

Look on the wife's face when VISA bill arrived, Priceless!!!!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X