Advice for Hit-and-run accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Hit-and-run accident

Hi, it's an unfortunate event if being involved in a hit-and-run accident, esp. if the culprit runs away and cannot be found. Such craps should be punished by Heavens!

Anyway, can any of you who had such similar encounters, please advise what are the following steps or actions that can be carried out. I thought of making a police report but my friends told me it's "useless" as no witness nor evidence. Wonder what the "mada" are doing everyday???

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

first take care.

i would like to check if it is objects and/or person.

report it to police. you never know what they can do. sometimes, they may be able to get another witness or have evidence such as paint marks etc.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I got similar encounter.. report to polis..they will push it to your insurance... if the damage is minor.. find a reliable workshop to fix it.. if major..claim your own insurance... just count yourself suay loh...
      Wei...give chance leh... Iam just a newbie...:red:

Comment

if in carpark; usually its a matter of tough luck. ive lost count where people have bumped into my car and driven off without leaving their note.

if on public road; you can usually report to police. many years ago; my dad was rear ended by a hit and run driver; my dad managed to get the car rego plate and report to police. the other driver was charged with hit and run; and we claim vehicle damages against their insurance.
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Had similar experience being hit by a wrx from back and driven off.

Reported to police. And as expected they file report and do nothing else.

In the end I pay for the repair myself so that the premium will not be heavily jacked up.
          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

My parked car got hit by a Toyota Crown Silver Cab and the driver drove away. I got a rude shock when I came back to pick up my car when I saw my car's rear end was badly damaged. I made a police report with pieces of broken headlights I piece together thus knowing it's from a Toyota Crown. The police did NOTHING. I spent 4k from my own pocket to fix the car...heart pain!
            1 3 5
            ├┼┼╕
            2 4 6 R

Comment

bro what the mata can do is to type a report in their computer and save it in the hard disc.
              but what you can do, there is 2 option.
              Opt 1: Claim your own insurance (not advisable unless the repair cost is high)
              Opt 2: Send to your own workshop and have the it repair
              For me, it will be opt 2

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                Had similar experience being hit by a wrx from back and driven off.

Reported to police. And as expected they file report and do nothing else.

In the end I pay for the repair myself so that the premium will not be heavily jacked up.
                Something doesnt sound right here. Not saying that you are not telling the truth.

If you were hit from the back (assuming you were in the car too and driving!), then why wont the police take action? I thought hit and run was an offence that (in oz at least!) carries a heavy fine, and in some cases prison (if end up in death), not to mention you open yourself to liability should the other party get injured.

from my dad experience; all was needed was a car rego, and the police paid the other fella a visit, and charged him; then proceeded to hand over his details to us so that we can pass onto the insurance company.

like i mentioned earlier; if in shopping centre or multi story car park; then usually suck thumb, if the offence takes place on a public road; then the police should be more proactive in policing hit and run.
                Blue 6694
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

in order for police to do anything; there must be witness, evidence etc.

cases where cars were hit without the above, what can the police do?

most impt in hit and run is the number plate, as long as you have evidence etc to support with that, chances are you will win the case.

and if your ride was hit in a carpark without surveillance camera around, no note left behind...count urself suay lor.

Comment

TS... pm me if you need a reliable workshop!
                    Wei...give chance leh... Iam just a newbie...:red:

Comment

Originally posted by jazziceman View Post
                      in order for police to do anything; there must be witness, evidence etc.

cases where cars were hit without the above, what can the police do?

most impt in hit and run is the number plate, as long as you have evidence etc to support with that, chances are you will win the case.

and if your ride was hit in a carpark without surveillance camera around, no note left behind...count urself suay lor.
                      precisely! usually people who hit in shopping center wont give two ****s and just drive off. my friend the other weekend hit a car; and he left a note. despite having his own car hit numerous times and no note left behind. just goes to show that there are a few nice people left on the roads.

i think even with surveillance camera; hard to get from the building owners.
                      Blue 6694
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Was hit on rear side when my car is stationary. the wrx was cutting from lane 3 to lane 1 and sped off the right turn.

with no number plate, just location, car type and colour, the police will not do anything unless someone died.
                        hit and run is a serious offense when got caught. with nobody dead the police will not spend manpower to comb the area and workshops to search.

possible to catch. matching dents and paints marks on both cars, wrx numbers not to many etc. but not economical.

that is life. like in carpark hits or vandals, just consider suay. or you start putting video cameras in your car
                        Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Thanks to all who had contributed in a way or another.

It's really a misfortunate event, esp. we need to bear our own charges. No matter what, owning a car in Singapore is really costly. Apart from those hefty premiums like car insurances, road tax, COE etc... we also need to look after such "unforseen" charges. And honestly, I really feel heartache paying it out of my own pocket as it's not caused by myself. 2 years ago, I accidentally scratched my car against the pillar, I felt heartache as the car was still new (just barely 3 months old). This time, I am heartache not due to the car as the car is no longer new, but the charges to be beared by myself. If the damages is due to others, I would feel much better.

In any case, thanks to all who had responded. Really appreciate it.

Comment

@watcha: in that case then hard to get the police to do anything.

@breitling77: cost borne by you or not is not usually the issue. once a car is involved in accident, the car never quite feels the same. ive been driving around with a busted rear bumper (not caused by me), every time i look at the damage feel damn pissed. and now that im getting it fixed, the workshop is taking their long sweet time.
                            Blue 6694
                            [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X